Eastbourne ... where to play

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In my view The Royal doesn't live up to it's name, Willingdon is a good test and the Downs at the top of the hill on a sunny day is very good. If you are happy to travel twenty minutes to the east is Highwoods and to the west Seaford Blatchington, both top notch courses.

D

Deleted member 18121

I had my first ever Eagle at Seaford Head..... apart from that and the 18th I dont remember anything else about the course!

Hollingbury @ Brighton is nice.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
being a member at Willingdon im maybe a tad biased but it definately the best course in Eastbourne ,yes its a little on the hilly side but some great holes and the views are awesome.you can see all the way to the 18 at seaford head .
Willingdon was designed by the same bloke that designed Augusta so has a bit of a pedigree ,play it you wont be dissapointed.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Didn't we have this thread recently?

Another vote here for Seaford Head. 12 or so holes are fairly meh, but the views you get on the final third are incredible. Not a bad course either. Easy enough, until the wind blows. I'm actually playing there on Thursday :)

Hollingbury is rough and ready. Good value for money but don't expect anything special. I don't mind it.

A few minutes down the road from there is East Brighton, which is a very good links track.

Lewes is a decent course. You'll never ever get a flat lie there. Good views again and a 'fun' drive up to the clubhouse - single track road up the side of a cliff :D

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Seaford (Blatchington) is where I'd be heading.
As mentioned, East Brighton is a decent track, as long as the wind isn't blowing too hard!!
Lewes and Eastbourne Downs are two reasonable courses, bit rough and ready in places but cheap(ish) golf.
The greens at Lewes and East Brighton are probably two of the best sets in the area at this time of year.

Bitwobbly

Visit site
Being a member at the Royal I am biased, but have to say the closing holes at Seaford head are spectacular.
The food’s good at the Royal!!

shagster

Head Pro
Visit site
living in eastbourne, the only two choices are east sussex national west then east
courses have come on leaps in last 2 weeks with the weather
best downland course is seaford
cheapest would be eastbourne downs, not sure of condition but improving after internal upheaval
the national is about 15 miles from town centre, about 30 minutes outside of rush hour

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Comp on at Seaford....so played East Brighton on way past. . £18 after 4pm...and 2 hours 40 later we are in the bar .

What a nice course. Short off yellows but still great fun. Bet it's brutal when windy.

Eagle putt on last lipped out, but if you have driver and pitch and run for your second, its no par 5 ;)

Last edited: