Dundonald vs. Western Gailes

HDID Kenny

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As much as I enjoy WG and would return for the same money as Dundonald :whistle:
I have said often that Dundonald has the most consistent 18 holes of any course I've played, at £40/£50 it's great value.

Albanach

Head Pro
Visit site
Played Western loads of times and think the course, clubhouse and welcome is class plus the toast & cheese and bacon is outstanding!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
:rofl: Did no one play well at WG?

All joking aside, I get that opinions are exactly that but I'm surprised no-one preferred WG as a course. It's head and shoulders above Dundonald in mine and many others opinion, it's 54 in GM top 100, Dundonald isn't listed.

ive played WG a fair few times and it get better every time i play it, played Dd a couple and though it was nice enough, not a patch on WG.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
:rofl: Did no one play well at WG?

All joking aside, I get that opinions are exactly that but I'm surprised no-one preferred WG as a course. It's head and shoulders above Dundonald in mine and many others opinion, it's 54 in GM top 100, Dundonald isn't listed.

Quite the opposite. Apart from myself who scored exactly the same, the other 3 all scored better around WG.

It's hard to quantify and we all enjoyed WG, we just thought Dundonald was more interesting and varied. The greens were far superior on the Dun. I enjoyed the variance in terms of the green size and undulations. WG felt a little like target golf to a small green.

The club house is obviously better at WG and the location, being next to the sea.

The smell from that factory was terrible on both though.

Perhaps it's a southerner thing, but the big loop of WG was a little uninspiring and I hate having to walk back to a tee, which you had to do a few times. I prefer the American design with 2 loops of 9 as it keeps things varied, which was on the Dundonald compared to the classic links up, out and back.

Don't get me wrong, there were some fantastic holes on WG. The Par 5 6th, followed by the par 3 7th and I enjoyed it, but if you had asked me which was worth 50 quid more (based on what we paid) on the course alone, I would have said the Dun.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Quite the opposite. Apart from myself who scored exactly the same, the other 3 all scored better around WG.

It's hard to quantify and we all enjoyed WG, we just thought Dundonald was more interesting and varied. The greens were far superior on the Dun. I enjoyed the variance in terms of the green size and undulations. WG felt a little like target golf to a small green.

The club house is obviously better at WG and the location, being next to the sea.

The smell from that factory was terrible on both though.

Perhaps it's a southerner thing, but the big loop of WG was a little uninspiring and I hate having to walk back to a tee, which you had to do a few times. I prefer the American design with 2 loops of 9 as it keeps things varied, which was on the Dundonald compared to the classic links up, out and back.

Don't get me wrong, there were some fantastic holes on WG. The Par 5 6th, followed by the par 3 7th and I enjoyed it, but if you had asked me which was worth 50 quid more (based on what we paid) on the course alone, I would have said the Dun.

There is no doubt Dundonald is a more "playable" course, you can be miles off line and have no trouble on some holes but horses for courses though, both great tracks.

I should say and im unsure if the policy is changed but I used to be able to get WG for £50 for a midweek round. That was better value than Dundonald.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
being so well connected maybe you should try Killermont?

I'm thinking about it - already spoken with Secretaries Office. But yes - it may be tricky finding proposers as I haven't lived in Glasgow for 33yrs (though the club would assist). It does seem a perfect solution. Would be near to home (15mins drive from Dowanhill./Hyndland) lovely parkland golf and when it gets wet - head down to the coast for GG.

Just a wee step-up from Deaconsbank :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm thinking about it - already spoken with Secretaries Office. But yes - it may be tricky finding proposers as I haven't lived in Glasgow for 33yrs (though the club would assist). It does seem a perfect solution. Would be near to home (15mins drive from Dowanhill./Hyndland) lovely parkland golf and when it gets wet - head down to the coast for GG.

Just a wee step-up from Deaconsbank :)

i think you have to be a member of Gailes for a few years before they let you in to the full Glasgow Golf Club and you have to be pretty well connected from what i'm told by the two guys i know who are members... one is a QC and the other a retired Judge;)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My pal got into gg this year. Can play Killermont next year I believe.

He hasn't said how much but I get the impression that it is very expensive.