Dundonald vs. Western Gailes

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My pal got into gg this year. Can play Killermont next year I believe.

He hasn't said how much but I get the impression that it is very expensive.

Glasgow golf club or Glasgow Gailes..?

i was told there was no guarantee you would get in Killermont even if you were in the Gailes

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Glasgow golf club or Glasgow Gailes..?

i was told there was no guarantee you would get in Killermont even if you were in the Gailes

He told me he was in but had to play this year at Gailes (no dought the better course). He said he would be able to play Killermont next year. I believe he knows members there and he lives in Bearsden.

I would like to play the links course but personally I would never join a male only club. No doubt they will lose their Open qualifier status after the current deal.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Western is head and shoulders above Dundonald, that said Dundonald is a class course on its own

You see I would previously have agreed with you. However the more you play Dundonald the more you appreciate just how good a layout it actually is, its a very clever golf course in that it allows you to play anyway you want. Its not defended by horrendous rough, narrow fairways or massively over bunkered.

What it has is the use of subtle defences which are as good as anywhere I have played. Run off areas which are closely shaved down. Very large greens with a mixture of subtle and big breaks, and while the greens are big they will generally not hold anything on them that is on the periphery it'll throw the ball off. Its been cleverly designed. Kyle Phillips really has done a great job.

I appreciate that this thread is 2 years old now but I will tell you that Dundonald is in far far far better condition than two of its illustrious neighbours. I played Western at tail end of August, maybe first week in September and Dundonald greens were running at least 18" possibly 2 feet quicker. I have heard from a couple of sources including a member that Glasgow Gailes isn't great at present. Dundonald doesn't have the seaside holes of Western but overall I genuinely believe its a better all round test of golf. Plus the facilities (practice) are phenomenal.

Only that bloody car park to sort out!!!!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
You see I would previously have agreed with you. However the more you play Dundonald the more you appreciate just how good a layout it actually is, its a very clever golf course in that it allows you to play anyway you want. Its not defended by horrendous rough, narrow fairways or massively over bunkered.

What it has is the use of subtle defences which are as good as anywhere I have played. Run off areas which are closely shaved down. Very large greens with a mixture of subtle and big breaks, and while the greens are big they will generally not hold anything on them that is on the periphery it'll throw the ball off. Its been cleverly designed. Kyle Phillips really has done a great job.

I appreciate that this thread is 2 years old now but I will tell you that Dundonald is in far far far better condition than two of its illustrious neighbours. I played Western at tail end of August, maybe first week in September and Dundonald greens were running at least 18" possibly 2 feet quicker. I have heard from a couple of sources including a member that Glasgow Gailes isn't great at present. Dundonald doesn't have the seaside holes of Western but overall I genuinely believe its a better all round test of golf. Plus the facilities (practice) are phenomenal.

can only go by the conditions ive played and though ai have played WG a fair few times and its always been in good condition last time was July and every time its been in pretty good condition though the greens were quite slow and the course burnt the last time, but wasn't everywhere that time of year. Only ever played Dundonald twice and both have been at the end of the season or beginning. last time it was having work done for the scottish open, and the best green we putted on was a temp on the fairway. would def give it another go, but WG is right up there with my faves still

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm thinking about it - already spoken with Secretaries Office. But yes - it may be tricky finding proposers as I haven't lived in Glasgow for 33yrs (though the club would assist). It does seem a perfect solution. Would be near to home (15mins drive from Dowanhill./Hyndland) lovely parkland golf and when it gets wet - head down to the coast for GG.

Just a wee step-up from Deaconsbank :)

HOGAN..………. come on home!!!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
can only go by the conditions ive played and though ai have played WG a fair few times and its always been in good condition last time was July and every time its been in pretty good condition though the greens were quite slow and the course burnt the last time, but wasn't everywhere that time of year. Only ever played Dundonald twice and both have been at the end of the season or beginning. last time it was having work done for the scottish open, and the best green we putted on was a temp on the fairway. would def give it another go, but WG is right up there with my faves still

Next time you are down throw your sticks in the car.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Dundonald is a good course and is rather forgiving so I can see why people like it and always has been in good condition when I have played it. WG on the other hand is a true Links and a much tougher test so for me WG all day if I had the choice but DD is a great course

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Dundonald is a good course and is rather forgiving so I can see why people like it and always has been in good condition when I have played it. WG on the other hand is a true Links and a much tougher test so for me WG all day if I had the choice but DD is a great course

That's one think Western Gailes isn't and that's tougher. Not a chance.

D

Deleted member 15344

So what makes Dundonald not a “true” Links ? Is it not on the same sort of sandy land ?

DCB

Visit site

GG has certainly had a lot of scrub and gorse chopped back, it will recover in time, but it does look a bit bare now in places. I thought the greens were very good during a visit last month. Possibly the best I'd putted on this year, Fast and true on the day I played.

As for DD, could it be down to the fact that the course is beginning to bed in now, it is losing that "new course" look and beginning to mature nicely, although, that is only from seeing it over the years and not having played it.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
GG has certainly had a lot of scrub and gorse chopped back, it will recover in time, but it does look a bit bare now in places. I thought the greens were very good during a visit last month. Possibly the best I'd putted on this year, Fast and true on the day I played.

As for DD, could it be down to the fact that the course is beginning to bed in now, it is losing that "new course" look and beginning to mature nicely, although, that is only from seeing it over the years and not having played it.

You are always welcome Dave. Even with those Mizzies!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd say dundonald is better for me, it's a better golf course in my opinion. Western gailes, whilst it has some fantastic golf holes has a few not so great ones aswell. It's a really good course and I'd never refuse a game there but I'd enjoy dundonald a touch more

D

Deleted member 17920

After playing both a few weeks ago I would say Dundonald is my favourite out of the two.

I liked the variety of holes at Dundonald and I thought it was playable, WG was nice but it didn’t blow me away like I wanted it to. Some holes felt quite samey but I don’t know if that was because of the brutal wind that day. The condition of the course at WG was very good though but the greens at Dundonald were considerably faster.

I wouldn’t fancy turning up in jacket and tie every time I wanted to play golf either, it was ok as a one off.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

More of the bushes are being taken away at Gailes, along with some trees between 8 and 10 as part of the winter programme. It does look a little bare in places, but with the right attention will come back. It is certainly much more open now than recent years.

DCB

Visit site
More of the bushes are being taken away at Gailes, along with some trees between 8 and 10 as part of the winter programme. It does look a little bare in places, but with the right attention will come back. It is certainly much more open now than recent years.

Are they clearing the ground to make a new tee on the 10th? Seemed to be a logical conclusion. Certainly make it a tight driving hole if a back tee takes the line over the gorse and scrub on the lHS up to the fairway.