Dundonald vs. Western Gailes

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Seems we can get Dundonald for £50, but WG is £100. They're right next to each other. For those who have played, is the extra for WG worth it? If you played both are they very "samey"?

Cheers

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site

Seems we can get Dundonald for £50, but WG is £100. They're right next to each other. For those who have played, is the extra for WG worth it? If you played both are they very "samey"?

Cheers

Do you prefer tea or coffee? Marmalade or jam? City break or beach holiday?

Both cracking courses. Some prefer Dundonald, others prefer Gailes, but almost everyone loves both.

JohnF

Club Champion
Visit site
Played both and played well on both so that always help when talking about courses.

For me I think Western Gailes is the better course. It feels more natural, the course just seems to blend in with the environment/nature so you have to think your way round the course rather than pull the driver out bag all the time.

Dundonald is another great course, the greens are great probably the better of the 2. But to me the course was just missing something.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Cheers

They may be right next to each other but Western is many years older than Dundonald. Western is more like the rest of the links courses along that stretch and Dundonald is much more modern course, barely 20 years old.

Love playing both of them and can't see why there should be £50 between them. I have heard that, unusually, Western isn't in as good condition as it normally is. The green keeper has apparently left / retired and they are just about to appoint a new one.

The difference in the clubhouse is the same, Dundonald is very relaxed and pretty much anything goes in terms of clothing. Western members are required to arrive and leave in jacket collar and tie.

So, both in terms of course design and clubhouse you really have two clubs at each end of the spectrum.

When are you intending to play.

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Western gailes is the much better course, but you do need to get dressed up and mind your manners. Dundonald is fine, never really done it for me, but a good course in more relaxed surroundings.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Another one who was slightly disappointed with WG, although maybe I'd built it up too much.

I thought the front 9 was great, but the back 9 drifted off a bit, apart from the last 2 holes.

I liked Dundonald throughout, although wasnt expecting as much.

Maybe expectation over substance ruled.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. We are deciding what to do this Thursday/Friday as we are heading over there from Boat of Garten and staying in the Gailes Hotel. Initially we were planning on playing Gleneagles on the way over, if we could get a deal and WG on the Friday. However, Gleneagles is £135 and we're not keen on paying that as we've played there before, so are now considering the Dundonald for the Thursday.

We just wondered though, if the Dun was as good as or very similar to WG that perhaps we'd bin off WG and play somewhere completely different on the Friday as we head back south home.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
though they are prob only a few yards apart separated by the railway line they are quite different.

as others and myself have said, Dundonald is OK, WG is so much better.

JohnF

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. We are deciding what to do this Thursday/Friday as we are heading over there from Boat of Garten and staying in the Gailes Hotel. Initially we were planning on playing Gleneagles on the way over, if we could get a deal and WG on the Friday. However, Gleneagles is £135 and we're not keen on paying that as we've played there before, so are now considering the Dundonald for the Thursday.

We just wondered though, if the Dun was as good as or very similar to WG that perhaps we'd bin off WG and play somewhere completely different on the Friday as we head back south home.

Is gleneagles not doing a deal just now for a 4 ball? £201.80 until April 2017

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is gleneagles not doing a deal just now for a 4 ball? £201.80 until April 2017

Starts Sunday 16th, so we are 3 days too early. We are going to call and see if we can persuade them to offer it up early, but they don't normally give many breaks!

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
They're not really similar at all, Gailes is absolutely hard as nails compared to Dundonald. Possibly overly so but I prefer it to Dundonald.The margin is nowhere near 50 quid though

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We played both and all 4 of us preferred the Dundonald. It was just a much more interesting course.

I wouldn't play WG again, but I would definitely play the Dundonald.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We played both and all 4 of us preferred the Dundonald. It was just a much more interesting course.

I wouldn't play WG again, but I would definitely play the Dundonald.

:rofl: Did no one play well at WG?

All joking aside, I get that opinions are exactly that but I'm surprised no-one preferred WG as a course. It's head and shoulders above Dundonald in mine and many others opinion, it's 54 in GM top 100, Dundonald isn't listed.