Duchess Course At Woburn

wookie

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Trees, trees and some trees.

It does look kinda boring though :confused:

The trees were pretty impressive and boring would be a bit harsh but it did get a bit samey I thought. As we said as we were playing it there wasn't a lot of sand or other features as the trees and tight fairways were enough of a defence anyway.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
The more I play the Duchess, the more it moves up in my estimation......I think it's a stunning course and a real test of your golf..I think my new order at Woburn is:
Marquess
Duchess
Dukes

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice pics, looks like you got to be pin point off the tee!!! How'd did you score Gary? Is it as tough as it looks from the tee's?

D

Deleted member 1418

The more I play the Duchess, the more it moves up in my estimation......I think it's a stunning course and a real test of your golf..I think my new order at Woburn is:
Marquess
Duchess
Dukes

Snap!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nice pics, looks like you got to be pin point off the tee!!! How'd did you score Gary? Is it as tough as it looks from the tee's?

It's probably a bit more forgiving when you're there than looking at photos, but still very tight.
I hit the ball great and chipped like a chimp for 32pts.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I agree with others, looks very samey to me, can't see me rushing there to play that course. I've only played the Dukes which I thought was not too bad.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
To me, Dukes has some better holes, particularly the Par 3s, but also some duller ones than those on the Duchess. While Duchess is dominated by the huge trees, they are a little less dominant than photos suggest - it's the fact that they are so huge that makes pics a bit samey.

Marquess seems to combine the best parts of both the other courses, having a bit of everything - including open heathland near the end, so probably just shades Duchess for me.

However, if I could only play 9, it would definitely be the front 9 of Dukes - and by some distance!

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
The only thing that felt a bit samey on the duchess was the par 3's IMO, although the huge trees make it appear very tight on the pics and stood on the tee there is in fact more room than appears once you get up the fairway.
Do agree the par 3's on the dukes are better.
Would i maker the trip again yes most definately and with Still to play the marquess next year hopefully.....

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The Duchess is by far the best course at Woburn. Less tricked up than the Marquess, and just all round better than the Dukes. If it's samey, count me in for samey.

wookie

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Maybe its just my rubbish memory as we played the Dukes after the Duchess but I cant really remember much about the Duchess other than the tee shots being flanked by tall pines which is what I meant when I said samey.

Oh and I can remember the last 4 holes pretty well where I only managed 2 points and threw a good round away:eek::D

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was looking to set up a mini tour for the boys and do a couple of these tracks... I'm not so sure now.... is it an expensive package to play these and stay over and ultimately is it worth it, in your opinion chaps?

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was looking to set up a mini tour for the boys and do a couple of these tracks... I'm not so sure now.... is it an expensive package to play these and stay over and ultimately is it worth it, in your opinion chaps?

Definitley go for it.....it is one of the best venues around for a mini meet. I think people are being a bit picky about some of the criticism......all 3 courses are deservedly in the top 100 rankings.
There's no where to stay on site, but there are local guest houses/hotels.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site

Go for it and will struggle to find somewhere with 3 quality courses in such close proximity, a great venue and one I intend going back too.