Drivers

philsh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Evening all, after a break of over a year I'm getting back into golf. Last time I was hit and miss with my driver was getting decent distance but had no control so started working on my 5w and lost 40-50 yards but had more control and was hitting more fairways and getting better lies using my 5w. So my question is would it be silly just to give up the driver and just use my 5w? Never got on with this driver and when I've tried other people's it's been the same as mine. I'm leaning towards just leaving it in the basement. Do any others play without a driver?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Plenty play without a driver or take it out temporarily while its misbehaving to get more enjoyment from their game but the goal should be to have it back in the bag at some point so its good to work on the problem rather than give it up totally

Easiest club to hit a ball with but hardest to hit it well

Darren24

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm not using my driver for the same reasons and I'm scoring so much better with using my 3 wood. Better to be 40 yards shorter than to be OB or in the trees mate.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I've hardly used my driver for the past year or so.
IM much more consistent & confident hitting 3w off the tee.
For some reason tho I'm itching to start using my driver again.
I'm going to get a lesson booked in the next week or so,specifically for driver.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
depends what course i'm playing. i play the forest of arden and pga belfry. off the white's you need length off the tee or your going to struggle. different story of the yellows though.

i only use my driver if i need to. i have too much love for my 3 wood

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What about the be generation strong 3w or " mini drivers " as they are labeled

Lots of people struggle with a driver because of shaft length, the sldr mini / aero mini / cally 3 deep seems to address this well

By the way not carrying a driver isn't w bad thing, but I think your longest club being a 5w could hinder. As a junior I only carried a 3w as my longest club, and got to 11 without any real need for it, and that was playing against 5/6 capper juniors that we ripping drivers. May have been 20 yards back but was always in play ;)

Last edited:

philsh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't have a 3w as when I went for my fitting the chap said he didn't see the point as it was harder to use off the deck and only gained 20yards on the 5w so I listened to him lol. Going for a knock about with my uncle today so will see if he will let me use his 3w and see what happens. Didn't even know about mini drivers will have a look into them. Glad other people don't get/ use the driver doesn't make me feel like a leper ha.

philsh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't have a 3w as when I went for my fitting the chap said he didn't see the point as it was harder to use off the deck and only gained 20yards on the 5w so I listened to him lol. Going for a knock about with my uncle today so will see if he will let me use his 3w and see what happens. Didn't even know about mini drivers will have a look into them. Glad other people don't get on/ use the driver doesn't make me feel like a leper ha

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Evening all, after a break of over a year I'm getting back into golf. Last time I was hit and miss with my driver was getting decent distance but had no control so started working on my 5w and lost 40-50 yards but had more control and was hitting more fairways and getting better lies using my 5w. So my question is would it be silly just to give up the driver and just use my 5w? Never got on with this driver and when I've tried other people's it's been the same as mine. I'm leaning towards just leaving it in the basement. Do any others play without a driver?

Crikey "De ja vu" this is a mirror image of my golfing woe's at the moment, my irons are spot on, chipping is the best it's ever been, putting could do with a touch more work, 3 woods good, rescue's a little "hit 'n' miss" but then thats nothing outta the ordinary but the driver's just gone out the window ever since I bought a new one !...

On the plus side I'm getting 200+ with the 3 wood so all's not "doom 'n' gloom" but having said that I still spent a fair chunk of my hard earned dosh on my driver so I'm determined to get it right that or I'll sell it on and get something else !...:thup:

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Get a lesson. The driver can be tamed.

I was smashing my "Crews Tour Link 460-D" straight as an arrow all day long but the club gave up the ghost so I bought a "Tour Edge Bazooka HT Max-D" and am failing massively with it, I think the 46" shaft and 1* closed which comes as standard on these isn't helping (both clubs where/are 10.5* but the Crews was 44.5") also the "Crews" being of "Jap origin" although rated as "reg flex" was "soft" whereas British/European regulars are medium+ So where to go from here is the question, get the "Bazooka" cut down in the hope that all will be good or just persevere with it or sell it on and buy summat else !...:confused:

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
I've just sold my driver, as Hit my 3 wood well enough to get around most courses.

Just don't see the point at the moment. When I get too single figures I'll see if I can tame it. But for now 3 or 5 Wood off the tee is fine for me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was smashing my "Crews Tour Link 460-D" straight as an arrow all day long but the club gave up the ghost so I bought a "Tour Edge Bazooka HT Max-D" and am failing massively with it, I think the 46" shaft and 1* closed which comes as standard on these isn't helping (both clubs where/are 10.5* but the Crews was 44.5") also the "Crews" being of "Jap origin" although rated as "reg flex" was "soft" whereas British/European regulars are medium+ So where to go from here is the question, get the "Bazooka" cut down in the hope that all will be good or just persevere with it or sell it on and buy summat else !...:confused:

Maybe time to cut your losses and try some more. Certainly the shaft seems excessively long.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Maybe time to cut your losses and try some more. Certainly the shaft seems excessively long.

Yeah I was thinking the same, I'm hitting my 3 wood 200+ so it's not as if I'm lacking for any range I just can't get the flamin driver to go where I want it to or get any consistent range (I was getting 250+ with the 460-D) no matter what I do, anyway cheers for the reply buddy !...:thup: