Drivers in a rush

D

Deleted member 15344

But they aren't letting you past are they. They have no right to drive in front of you and if they did so causing a crash they would be the ones responsible.

Doesn't matter if they have no right - they are waiting for me so I acknowledge that with a friendly thank you wave - it's not really worth worrying about

D

Deleted member 15344

Clearly though if its Phil on his bike side my side with another cyclist I am running him down and not waving though.... Joke joke.. lets not go there!! :D

I'll think of that when I'm walking along the fairway this afternoon in the glorious sunshine :whistle:

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is it not self centred to expect someone to thank you for not crossing onto their side of the road when they have right of way?

That sounds like a bit of a reverse psychology defence... You are determined to not wave so as to provoke a response and are most probably disappointed when you don't get the response you are seeking...

Back in the day it was also common practice for a driver proceeding downhill to waiver his 'right of way' to a vehicle travelling uphill... How would the modern driver cope with that conundrum I wonder...

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That sounds like a bit of a reverse psychology defence... You are determined to not wave so as to provoke a response and are most probably disappointed when you don't get the response you are seeking...

Back in the day it was also common practice for a driver proceeding downhill to waiver his 'right of way' to a vehicle travelling uphill... How would the modern driver cope with that conundrum I wonder...

How is it reverse psychology? If I hold a door for you I'm not going to thank you for the privilege of letting me do so. It just doesn't make sense.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had my drivers side wing mirror smashed of last year by one of those cretins who try and barge their way through when there are parked cars on their side of the road.
He almost drove off again until I ran back down and stood in front of his van, he then tried arguing the to$$ that it was my fault, there were no witnesses etc etc, the usual cr@p from someone losing a discussion. He refused to give me his details but being the ultimate thicko he forgot the minor detail that had his name and number were emblazoned across the side of his van.
As a small bonus, on my way back to the car a bloke leaned out of his car window and said "I saw it all and it was his fault mate" then kindly gave me his details to act as a witness :whoo:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had my drivers side wing mirror smashed of last year by one of those cretins who try and barge their way through when there are parked cars on their side of the road.
He almost drove off again until I ran back down and stood in front of his van, he then tried arguing the to$$ that it was my fault, there were no witnesses etc etc, the usual cr@p from someone losing a discussion. He refused to give me his details but being the ultimate thicko he forgot the minor detail that had his name and number were emblazoned across the side of his van.
As a small bonus, on my way back to the car a bloke leaned out of his car window and said "I saw it all and it was his fault mate" then kindly gave me his details to act as a witness :whoo:

Its funny when you reach for your mobile phone and point it as them as if your going to take a photo too.... People change very very quick when they suddenly think your going to have a pic of them or there car.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just polite at the end of the day - if someone is waiting for me to pass before they go - whatever the reason I will give them a polite thank you. The action costs nothing

I'm totally with this :thup:.
Nothing wrong with a friendly acknowledgement, if only there was more.

Slime.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Slighty on a tangent, but if you're driving along and a car is parked on your side of the road, you have to wait for oncoming vehicles to pass before you pull out around the parked car. Do you expect the oncoming vehicles to thank you for waiting and if so why?

I don't nor do I wave when driving past. For this reason, if a car is blocking my side of the road that is my problem, I am not letting you past, you have right of way. When there isn't a parked car I don't wave at every passing vehicle thanking them for staying on their side of the road and don't expect them to do it back.

I appreciate that a wave is only a small gesture and easy to do, but I really don't see the need. People have just come to expect it.

Agree with you. The only time I would raise a hand in thanks in this scenario is if the person could have got through in time, but still stopped to let me through so I didn't have to brake. I don't expect it in return either because as you say it is their right of way.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
It wasn't originally a thank you, its a 'friend'ly gesture

I think it derives from days of old when men would tip their hats etc when passing/meeting someone (especially on horseback) and the behavior has probably just transferred to cars

Might be something to do with showing ones hand (& therefore showing you are unarmed & pose no threat/mean no harm)

I used to drive an MG and most other MG drivers would do this little half wave (thumb still on wheel, open hand to display fingers, and close) when they saw another one.
I miss it now I drive a boring old Honda Jazz.

I also do a nod of acknowledgment when a driver stops to let me cross a zebra crossing even though it's what they are meant to do

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to drive an MG and most other MG drivers would do this little half wave (thumb still on wheel, open hand to display fingers, and close) when they saw another one.
I miss it now I drive a boring old Honda Jazz.

I also do a nod of acknowledgment when a driver stops to let me cross a zebra crossing even though it's what they are meant to do

Always!! Like this one too!

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Do you do the little skip as you try to hurry across too. It always feels as though you're getting in the way doesn't it.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
If there's a guy in a rush behind me, I let him through.

Is his wife in labour and he's in a rush to get her there? Or is she already there and hoping he'll get there in time? Is his mother dying? and so on and so on...

Seriously, just let them go with thought that you might actually have done some good.

And if he is a kn0b, he'll get got eventually anyway... relax and let it go...

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If there's a guy in a rush behind me, I let him through.

Is his wife in labour and he's in a rush to get her there? Or is she already there and hoping he'll get there in time? Is his mother dying? and so on and so on...

Seriously, just let them go with thought that you might actually have done some good.

And if he is a kn0b, he'll get got eventually anyway... relax and let it go...

Absolutely! :thup: At least where it's not dangerous for me to do so.

Jabba

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A gentleman in a BMW came waltzing down the outside of a long queue at the traffic lights last night. There is no right turn lane and a central island at the lights, his only option was to push his way into the waiting line of cars.

Oh how we laughed as the police car followed him and put on his blue lights. We laughed even more when we got through the lights and saw the young gentleman at the side of the road in the company of the police officer.:D

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Funny as I just got overtaken on a single file slip road, OK it was wide enough for 2 cars but it is only single file as no lines down the middle.

I naturally stick to the left and a guy squeezed by in his big audi... 30 seconds later he was undertaking and weaving his way down the motorway... Whats the rush dude?