Drivers in a rush

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
Good start to the day , driving to work notice a car behind is all over the road, looking down nearside, going wide generally all over the back of my car, this continues for a good few miles then at a set of lights he pulls along side and starts shouting, swearing and generally loosing it, says i need to drive at more than 20mph !! I an sure i was not as i keep to the limits on my way to work as i go along a mix of 30s and 40s but also pass 2 schools and a large hospital . I am no speed freak but i do keep up with the traffic so this plonker only saw me and not the car in front which was still in front , a police traffic car :D when hearing this bloke shouting the officer got out but laddo still not seen him !! Result is one pull over and the officer going over his car and apparently keeping him at the roadside so he will be even later ,,,,surely if you have to be some place get up early enough so you do not have to rush .
By the way this was no youngster , he must have been in his late 50s so you would think he would be experienced enough by now .

Slight rant over ( dont like to rant so this is my attempt at one :rant: )

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good start at a rant. The smiley face in the middle took away some effect though! Driving these days is little more than a chore. There are too many idiots and too many people driving as if they are in a Grand Prix. The speed limit seems to be irrelevant now as the de facto speed limit seems to be 40 instead of 30. Drive at 30 and some people think you've lost your mind.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was driving down a 50mph dual carriageway last night, speed camera signs all over the place. So much so that you can't actually see the speed camera. Anyhow this abarth 500 cam tanking past me at 70ish just as we approach the camera. Being a gentleman I kindly stuck my arm out and pointed at the camera so he would know it was clocking him. I'm sure he looked in the mirror just in time to see the flash :)

D

Deleted member 15344

Good start to the day , driving to work notice a car behind is all over the road, looking down nearside, going wide generally all over the back of my car, this continues for a good few miles then at a set of lights he pulls along side and starts shouting, swearing and generally loosing it, says i need to drive at more than 20mph !! I an sure i was not as i keep to the limits on my way to work as i go along a mix of 30s and 40s but also pass 2 schools and a large hospital . I am no speed freak but i do keep up with the traffic so this plonker only saw me and not the car in front which was still in front , a police traffic car :D when hearing this bloke shouting the officer got out but laddo still not seen him !! Result is one pull over and the officer going over his car and apparently keeping him at the roadside so he will be even later ,,,,surely if you have to be some place get up early enough so you do not have to rush .
By the way this was no youngster , he must have been in his late 50s so you would think he would be experienced enough by now .

Slight rant over ( dont like to rant so this is my attempt at one :rant: )

Was he driving an Audi :D

That is karma

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
driving down a busy M1 a few months ago car in the outside line speeds up right on to the bumper of the car in front, doing about 90 ish, slows down then pulls forward right on to the bumper of the same car, pulls back then speeds up to do it again.

on this attempt the car in front then starts the flashing blue lights in its rear window as it is an unmarked police car.

poetic justice.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
In my experience mums on the school run are amongst the worst for being in too much of a hurry... Last summer a neighbour got completely wiped out whilst out on his bike [two broken arms]... She [the driver] then got out of her zafasso and had the temerity to rant at neighbour that she was now going to be late to collect the kids... Like it was his fault :confused:....

Think it went over her head when he suggested she should've left 5mins earlier she wouldn't then had been running late and they'd never had met....

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am a quick driver but tend to just overtake when I want to get past. What was the point in the guy giving you jip? Its your right to drive the limit, if he does not want to he should just slide past and move on.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Slighty on a tangent, but if you're driving along and a car is parked on your side of the road, you have to wait for oncoming vehicles to pass before you pull out around the parked car. Do you expect the oncoming vehicles to thank you for waiting and if so why?

I don't nor do I wave when driving past. For this reason, if a car is blocking my side of the road that is my problem, I am not letting you past, you have right of way. When there isn't a parked car I don't wave at every passing vehicle thanking them for staying on their side of the road and don't expect them to do it back.

I appreciate that a wave is only a small gesture and easy to do, but I really don't see the need. People have just come to expect it.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Slighty on a tangent, but if you're driving along and a car is parked on your side of the road, you have to wait for oncoming vehicles to pass before you pull out around the parked car. Do you expect the oncoming vehicles to thank you for waiting and if so why?

I don't nor do I wave when driving past. For this reason, if a car is blocking my side of the road that is my problem, I am not letting you past, you have right of way. When there isn't a parked car I don't wave at every passing vehicle thanking them for staying on their side of the road and don't expect them to do it back.

I appreciate that a wave is only a small gesture and easy to do, but I really don't see the need. People have just come to expect it.

It goes back to the days when we still had a polite society rather than the largely self centred one of nowadays...

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site

Always wondered why we do this. As you say, my side is blocked, I have to stop. Whatever the whys and wherefores, I expect nothing but I mostly will wave as either party as why the hell not.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It goes back to the days when we still had a polite society rather than the largely self centred one of nowadays...

Is it not self centred to expect someone to thank you for not crossing onto their side of the road when they have right of way?

D

Deleted member 15344

Always wondered why we do this. As you say, my side is blocked, I have to stop. Whatever the whys and wherefores, I expect nothing but I mostly will wave as either party as why the hell not.

Just polite at the end of the day - if someone is waiting for me to pass before they go - whatever the reason I will give them a polite thank you. The action costs nothing

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just polite at the end of the day - if someone is waiting for me to pass before they go - whatever the reason I will give them a polite thank you. The action costs nothing

But if someone drives past you on their own side of the road you don't thank them?

D

Deleted member 15344

But if someone drives past you on their own side of the road you don't thank them?

I am thanking them for stopping and letting me past in an area where only one car can go - just good manners I believe.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

It wasn't originally a thank you, its a 'friend'ly gesture

I think it derives from days of old when men would tip their hats etc when passing/meeting someone (especially on horseback) and the behavior has probably just transferred to cars

Might be something to do with showing ones hand (& therefore showing you are unarmed & pose no threat/mean no harm)

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am thanking them for stopping and letting me past in an area where only one car can go - just good manners I believe.

But they aren't letting you past are they. They have no right to drive in front of you and if they did so causing a crash they would be the ones responsible.

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It wasn't originally a thank you, its a 'friend'ly gesture

I think it derives from days of old when men would tip their hats etc when passing/meeting someone (especially on horseback) and the behavior has probably just transferred to cars

Might be something to do with showing ones hand (& therefore showing you are unarmed & pose no threat/mean no harm)

People don't seem to think about it though and get upset when you don't do it. They expect and thankyou for waiting.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
People don't seem to think about it though and get upset when you don't do it. They expect and thankyou for waiting.

People can get upset about anything.... and do.

I like it, your pretty much looking someone in the face, its nice to wave. And lets face it, its not even a wave, I life like 3 fingers from the wheel without even letting go. Lets keep a few niceties.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
People can get upset about anything.... and do.

I like it, your pretty much looking someone in the face, its nice to wave. And lets face it, its not even a wave, I life like 3 fingers from the wheel without even letting go. Lets keep a few niceties.

Clearly though if its Phil on his bike side my side with another cyclist I am running him down and not waving though.... Joke joke.. lets not go there!! :D