Drivers - "Cheap" vs Used vs Custom Fit

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My drivers 4 years old, but guess what it was fitted for me 😉
If you could actually read, I said it wasn't worth it unless you're off single figures, which you are. Of course you didn't read it though, you see that I've posted and jump on the back of it regardless. (y)

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you could actually read, I said it wasn't worth it unless you're off single figures, which you are. Of course you didn't read it though, you see that I've posted and jump on the back of it regardless. (y)
But you couldn’t be more wrong about being fitted. People that aren’t fitted (regardless of ability) swing it to counter the faults in their clubs, rather than swinging clubs that are correct for them

A good fitter (if you were hitting a hook that wasn’t normal) would have found out your issues by talking to you, and potentially have sent you away to come back another day

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As your talking driver your specs are less important. I am the same height and play irons +1 3 deg up and all wedges 9 iron length. I don't know anyone who lengthens their driver or plays much with lie angles given its teed up.

Of course shaft flex/characteristics are important and without fitting it could be an expensive search to find something that suits your swing style and speed. I would never buy cheap, but always buy good 1-3 year old tech for a fraction of the new price. I know my shaft specs and therefore can afford to buy what suits based on that personal knowledge - do you know what suits you? not just flex but shaft profiles?

BTW - I play driver an inch shorter and I'm 6.4 - better control

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I got fitted by the TM Tour truck guys thanks to a GM opportunity and ended up with the M1 they fitted me for and the itch to get a new driver and the tinkering has never returned. I know what I have is suited to me, I have the best shaft for me and although my swing has changed since I got it, and I'm hitting it better than the day I was fitted (was nerve-wracking being filmed and photographed while getting fitted), the driver I've been fitted for is still perfectly fit for me, because I was fitted properly. Can't beat it.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I think your between a rock and a hard place. You don't get fitted, buy something For £150 and it's a bag of crap, what do you do, same again in three months. Or do you buy something for north of £300. Hmm. Me I would go,down the 2nd hand route but look for a forgiving driver off the tee. Trouble is again,,what loft and shaft. A lot has changed in 2000 plus days. Happy hunting. 👍

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I got fitted by the TM Tour truck guys thanks to a GM opportunity and ended up with the M1 they fitted me for and the itch to get a new driver and the tinkering has never returned. I know what I have is suited to me, I have the best shaft for me and although my swing has changed since I got it, and I'm hitting it better than the day I was fitted (was nerve-wracking being filmed and photographed while getting fitted), the driver I've been fitted for is still perfectly fit for me, because I was fitted properly. Can't beat it.
This^^^^. Was fitted for the G410 and on the fitting I was woeful, but a few days earlier I hit the same club on the range and just leathered it. Played today and some of my drives were just fantastic. But I was on parts of a course I had never been on before and was shagged when it came to hitting second shots. Am stood there thinking thats never a 7 iron when last week I was using a 3 wood.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I personally don't believe custom fitting for brand new gear is worth the money until you're off single figures and looking for marginal gains. Nothing wrong with a good old trial and error approach, buy 2-3 year old gear and pay a third of the price. If it doesn't work for you sell it on Ebay for not much of a loss and repeat the process. (y)

Bought my first custom fit irons when I was a 16 handicap they played a very big part in getting my handicap down to 8 .

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I personally don't believe custom fitting for brand new gear is worth the money until you're off single figures and looking for marginal gains. Nothing wrong with a good old trial and error approach, buy 2-3 year old gear and pay a third of the price. If it doesn't work for you sell it on Ebay for not much of a loss and repeat the process. (y)
That’s false economy IMO. I’ve wasted more doing that than I would spend on a custom fit.
You could buy the wrong driver every year for 3 years and it would potentially impact on your enjoyment of the game, or get properly fit and keep it for 3 years ?? The net cost would be the same, but you’d play better golf with the latter.

If cash was an issue, go for a fitting, pay a fitting fee & buy a similar spec second hand.
There is some slight hypocrisy in what I say, as my current driver isn’t custom fit directly, but I’ve a pretty good idea of my specs from going through the process previously.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Heard really good things about the D7 and been tempted by the D300 myself on more than one occasion

Got a Benross HTX compressor type R (adjustable 9-12 and fade/draw adjustable) with a kurokage stiff shaft that I could be tempted to part with if that tempts you

elmoag

Club Champion
Visit site
Wow I would be confused and intimidated reading all this trying to make sense of it.
Driving the ball is fun
Try some drivers out at your local range even better if they have some second hand ones. I have used endless amounts of second hand drivers if I like it I like it.
And if it’s not too expensive all the better.
Some advice if you need it will be on hand most ranges have good pros or educated fitters who can helpfully guide you to a good choice that you feel
Comfortable and confident with.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
Custom Fit has to help, with a good fitter, regardless whether a low or high's handicapper. But, that's not to say there aren't plenty of golfers happy out there with off the shelf, and second hand drivers. (Me being one of them).

Fabia999

Visit site
A lot of people saying that custom fit is only worth it for single figure players and I totally disagree. The extra distance and accuracy in my shots when i got a set of custom fit irons was massive. I added something like 17 yards onto my 7 iron. Obviously I had to pay more but I spent over an hour with a pro getting things adjusted. I imagine similar results if i done the same with my driver.

Nothing wrong with AG but personally I would avoid custom fit there if I'm spending a lot of money or when I first started and I had no idea what adjustments I needed.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But you couldn’t be more wrong about being fitted. People that aren’t fitted (regardless of ability) swing it to counter the faults in their clubs, rather than swinging clubs that are correct for them

A good fitter (if you were hitting a hook that wasn’t normal) would have found out your issues by talking to you, and potentially have sent you away to come back another day
Why didn't you lead with this post instead of just having a dig at me?

For me it is cost-prohibitive, but reading some of the views in this thread, I'm a little more open-minded to it in the distant future. The thing is, I really like my irons, even if they are standard length lie etc, so I'm not looking to replace them any time soon. Perhaps in a few years when I do, I'll be in a position to look at this - both financially and with my golf game.

peld

Visit site
to provide a brief update, i thought i'd take a fairly risk free option of buying a used Ping G SF Tec for £170 (looked in really great condition).

Thinking I will give it a hit for a while and see how it is, if it works, great, if not, being a Ping I should be able to recoup a fair chunk of the cost back. I'll then get a custom fit and will have learned my lesson (but hopefully not the hard way).

D

Deleted member 21258

I generally buy 2nd hand stuff nowadays and have never been custom fit. Not noticed much differences between woods or iron sets I have played with, for example I am now playing with an inch longer stiff irons and 1 degree up, before that was standard firm graphite flex irons. Not much difference noticed in flight slightly less misses to the right which you would expect given extra length and toe up(but then before I just use to line up to the left to be honest to allow for it) Before that regular flex irons. Try my sons stiff steeled shafted irons. No surprise for similar iron lofts they fly a similar distance whether old clubs or more modern clubs.

Woods I have a selection of shafts in from white tie stiff, to Sitff Kurogage(I think), to regular flex adams and senior flex adams. Different weights between the shafts

I suppose what I am saying is I am rubbish at golf, I play for fun and I subscribe to Orikoru way of thinking, buy something and you are more than likely be able to hit them, if you cant sell them and buy another set, the amount of money you will lose will be fairly small......and 2nd market is a great way of getting stuff cheaper and into the game.

Edit To add balance I would add that my wife has recently changed from regular shafted heavy graphite mans hippo irons to ladies lightweight graphite flex fly z irons(she is a very slow swinger of the club btw) and the change in flight for her on a proper hit is amazing, I have been surprised. So having completely the wrong setup can make big differences

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I generally buy 2nd hand stuff nowadays and have never been custom fit. Not noticed much differences between woods or iron sets I have played with, for example I am now playing with an inch longer stiff irons and 1 degree up, before that was standard firm graphite flex irons. Not much difference noticed in flight slightly less misses to the right which you would expect given extra length and toe up(but then before I just use to line up to the left to be honest to allow for it) Before that regular flex irons. Try my sons stiff steeled shafted irons. No surprise for similar iron lofts they fly a similar distance whether old clubs or more modern clubs.

Woods I have a selection of shafts in from white tie stiff, to Sitff Kurogage(I think), to regular flex adams and senior flex adams. Different weights between the shafts

I suppose what I am saying is I am rubbish at golf, I play for fun and I subscribe to Orikoru way of thinking, buy something and you are more than likely be able to hit them, if you cant sell them and buy another set, the amount of money you will lose will be fairly small......and 2nd market is a great way of getting stuff cheaper and into the game.

Edit To add balance I would add that my wife has recently changed from regular shafted heavy graphite mans hippo irons to ladies lightweight graphite flex fly z irons(she is a very slow swinger of the club btw) and the change in flight for her on a proper hit is amazing, I have been surprised. So having completely the wrong setup can make big differences
Certainly if I bought extra stiff flex irons that are an inch longer than standard, that would most likely be all wrong and I wouldn't be able to hit them. But I think that just being 6 foot, with quite a simple home-made swing which is not particularly fast, my 'custom set-up' probably wouldn't be very far from standard anyway, so I've always just stuck with standard clubs. I think getting the right weight and flex is something you can do quite easily with trial and error, and if you get that right it's 90% of the battle. This is why I see a full custom fitting as an expensive way to get that final 10% really. Obviously people who have done it and love the results will see it differently though of course.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Never been custom fit but I think I’d really enjoy the fitting experience (although I assume you have to find a fitter that has most brands available i.e a TM fitting is not pointless but won’t necessarily get you the best driver for you, just the best TM driver for you, regardless of how much better xyz brand might be) I also assume they only really fit folks for current models so the actual range to choose from is limited further

I guess fitting driver or any other club yields less & less benefit as the forgiveness factor is increased with each model released. So ‘Our most forgiving club ever…’ actually means ‘no need to get fitted, you could hit these off the toe and the ball will fly straight’