Drivers - "Cheap" vs Used vs Custom Fit

peld

Visit site
Just getting back in to golf after a long lay off (first round at the weekend, 2088 days after the last!)
Basically bought a completely new set of clubs (Wilson D7) except for a driver, having kept my old Nike SQ Dymo (must have bought about 2010). Driver was off the shelf and ive hit it okay, nothing special. (Off the shelf for me would be stiff shaft, 10/10.5 deg)
Thinking about updating the driver now in line with a bit more modern technology, but I am pretty shocked at the price of clubs nowadays.

As a benchmark for example, I notice a Wilson D300 (from 2017) can be had brand new for £150.
On the used sites, there are plenty of choices, such as a Ping G30 Cobra F7, Callaway XR16 or TM M1/2 for £150.
At my local AG, I can get a new Wilson D7 custom fit for £250, but then the prices soar for the next custom fit options.

About me - im 6'4" and my other clubs were all custom fit, e.g. +1.5" on main irons. Handicap (when im back up to speed) should hopefully be about 16.

What would you do? Is driver custom fit worth it? (not as convinced compared to irons)? Would you go new or a used higher end brand?
What have others done in this situation?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good quality used - say 1 to 3 years old. (Absolutely loving the driver I recently bought off Oddsocks for sensible money).

The better end new stuff ridiculously priced these days.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Go with the TM M2, mark one.

i have trailed quite a few of the new release and most don't hit it further or are shorter than my M2. the advice from my pro was stick with what you have got. he said this even though he lost a sale.
But if you want to change and can afford it why not, but if not find a shaft that suites would be more relevant i would think

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
depending on where you live, look for a club builder and seek their advice, you could probably get fully fitted and built driver with all the right specs cheaper than an AG "fitted" driver from a big manufacturer.

all depends on what you are willing to spend

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I personally don't believe custom fitting for brand new gear is worth the money until you're off single figures and looking for marginal gains. Nothing wrong with a good old trial and error approach, buy 2-3 year old gear and pay a third of the price. If it doesn't work for you sell it on Ebay for not much of a loss and repeat the process. (y)

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I personally don't believe custom fitting for brand new gear is worth the money until you're off single figures and looking for marginal gains. Nothing wrong with a good old trial and error approach, buy 2-3 year old gear and pay a third of the price. If it doesn't work for you sell it on Ebay for not much of a loss and repeat the process. (y)

Have you had a fitted set, and I mean a properly fitted set not from AG which is hit and miss at very best.

In my experience it is higher handicappers that need the fittings more. A low handicapper will be a good ball striker and could hit pretty much any club well, I hit 1920s Mashie with degrading leather grip 170 yards dead straight. Higher handicappers won't have that striking ability and the skills to adjust their swing to the equipment, so a fitted set, that is properly swing weighted etc would be a big help.

Trial and error is not a great way of doing things, especially if you are a high handicapper. Because you will be more likely to have good periods and bad periods, just by chance you could be having a good period during a trial of a set that isn't set up for you properly, you buy them then when the bad periods come your stuck with a set that doesn't help

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I personally don't believe custom fitting for brand new gear is worth the money until you're off single figures and looking for marginal gains. N. (y)

Agree to a point but if your 6’4” then your better off getting equipment adjusted to suit whatever your ability. Otherwise your risking faults at best, who knows about long term damage...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have you had a fitted set, and I mean a properly fitted set not from AG which is hit and miss at very best.

In my experience it is higher handicappers that need the fittings more. A low handicapper will be a good ball striker and could hit pretty much any club well, I hit 1920s Mashie with degrading leather grip 170 yards dead straight. Higher handicappers won't have that striking ability and the skills to adjust their swing to the equipment, so a fitted set, that is properly swing weighted etc would be a big help.

Trial and error is not a great way of doing things, especially if you are a high handicapper. Because you will be more likely to have good periods and bad periods, just by chance you could be having a good period during a trial of a set that isn't set up for you properly, you buy them then when the bad periods come your stuck with a set that doesn't help
I went to a free Titleist Thursday fitting once for a driver. Had no intention of buying one, I was just interested. On that day I was randomly hitting hooks, so he fitted me with a load of fade bias. Don't think I've had a day of hooking it since, so that whole fitting was a waste of time.

I did a free AG fitting that you speak of when I wanted new irons, just trying out what was on offer*. I had one of my familiar issues that day though that I often have with driving range mats, which is randomly hitting shanks and thins at a rate far more frequent than I ever do on the course. How do you fit that? Another waste of time.

It's lucky I didn't pay any money for these isn't it? This is why I don't think it's valuable to mid & high handicappers. You surely have to have a semi-consistent swing to be able to custom fit to it. My swing changes every few months. Sometimes every round.

*ultimately I did still have a favourite set of irons from this fitting, based more on weight and feel though rather than any results really. I went to a different AG and tried them out two more times though before eventually buying a second hand set of them. Trying things out for free and buying them second hand, that's the way forward in my book.

peld

Visit site
as i have said on a thread before, i value my custom fit irons and AG were good at doing it***. At 6'4" im much taller than average so off the rack doesnt suit.

With a driver though, given its a very unique club, slightly different swing, you are teeing it up, and shaft length doesnt seem as important, im not as convinced (well not for the extra cost of the current range of clubs)

*** I should add that my prior set of irons were custom fit from AG too, but given the different to my current set, not sure the fitter was very good from the first one. This fitter was very good and spent a lot of time and trying different set ups.

Last edited:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I went to a free Titleist Thursday fitting once for a driver. Had no intention of buying one, I was just interested. On that day I was randomly hitting hooks, so he fitted me with a load of fade bias. Don't think I've had a day of hooking it since, so that whole fitting was a waste of time.

I did a free AG fitting that you speak of when I wanted new irons, just trying out what was on offer*. I had one of my familiar issues that day though that I often have with driving range mats, which is randomly hitting shanks and thins at a rate far more frequent than I ever do on the course. How do you fit that? Another waste of time.

It's lucky I didn't pay any money for these isn't it? This is why I don't think it's valuable to mid & high handicappers. You surely have to have a semi-consistent swing to be able to custom fit to it. My swing changes every few months. Sometimes every round.

*ultimately I did still have a favourite set of irons from this fitting, based more on weight and feel though rather than any results really. I went to a different AG and tried them out two more times though before eventually buying a second hand set of them. Trying things out for free and buying them second hand, that's the way forward in my book.

That is more to do with the fitter that the idea of a fitting. AG is notorious for having completely unqualified people trying to understand the data and make a judgement. Likewise with Titleist they bloke doing the day may not be that experienced, they will also not have a vast amount of options on shaft, length, etc.

The benefit you get from going to a proper club builder with a variety of manufacturer heads and shafts and can analyse the data properly. They can actually build a club for your body and swing. Opposed to a fitting day or an AG fitting where at the very best they will get a good approximation of what you need.

Yes you do need a "consistent" swing, you may say your swing changes all the time, but probably by not as much as you think. It could also be argued that with properly fitted clubs you would be less likely to change your swing

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So try out some clubs that are an inch longer, it's not rocket surgery. :p
No wonder you are having issues if you are trying to do rocket surgery :LOL:.

I am not as extreme in my view on this but I largely agree with you. A fitting would be nice but until you get more consistent you can bob along via ebay, trying out your mates clubs, and work out what suits. When you get more consistent you can then do that next upgrade. I totally accept what rOwly86 is saying and would not argue against it. Money does come in to it however.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
as i have said on a thread before, i value my custom fit irons and AG were good at doing it. At 6'4" im much taller than average so off the rack doesnt suit.

With a driver though, given its a very unique club, slightly different swing, you are teeing it up, and shaft length doesnt seem as important, im not as convinced (well not for the extra cost of the current range of clubs)

unless you are very lucky the AG fitting won't be worth much at all. The driver is a different club to your irons you are right. But considering that the driver is the hardest club to hit, longest shaft, least loft etc, a fitting could be even more beneficial

D

Deleted member 16999

Have a look at the Golf Monthly review of the Wilson D7, it got an excellent write up.
Plus if it’s new you’ll get a warranty etc, no guarantees with second hand.
Good luck what ever you decide.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That is more to do with the fitter that the idea of a fitting. AG is notorious for having completely unqualified people trying to understand the data and make a judgement. Likewise with Titleist they bloke doing the day may not be that experienced, they will also not have a vast amount of options on shaft, length, etc.

The benefit you get from going to a proper club builder with a variety of manufacturer heads and shafts and can analyse the data properly. They can actually build a club for your body and swing. Opposed to a fitting day or an AG fitting where at the very best they will get a good approximation of what you need.

Yes you do need a "consistent" swing, you may say your swing changes all the time, but probably by not as much as you think. It could also be argued that with properly fitted clubs you would be less likely to change your swing
Ok, I take the point that the very best fitters might still be able to work something out for you. But we're talking about whether it's worth the money here as well. Buying new off-the-rack stuff (which for the most part is what you'd be fitted for) is a huge expense nowadays, I'm not sure that extra expense is worth it for the slight gains you would see.

The old saying goes, it's not the arrow it's the Indian.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Ok, I take the point that the very best fitters might still be able to work something out for you. But we're talking about whether it's worth the money here as well. Buying new off-the-rack stuff (which for the most part is what you'd be fitted for) is a huge expense nowadays, I'm not sure that extra expense is worth it for the slight gains you would see.

That's why I asked what he was willing to spend. A custom built club is often cheaper than you think, you aren't paying for Callaway's advertising budget or sponsorship. What the big OEM's now charge is ridiculous.

I also think you are underestimating what difference a properly fitted club has on you. It isn't marginal at all but can have drastic improvements on dispersion, distance and spin. I follow several club builders on instagram and they will put the stats up from a persons original set and the built set and it is eye opening. With lofts and spin rates being all over the place, spin rates differing by the 1000s rpm with the same club. Then with the built club, all those spin rates get a much tighter dispersion and the lofts are properly gapped to give better distance control.

You can buy second hand or past seasons equipment and be fine, no doubt. But if you are buying a "new" driver or set of irons every few years then you will have spent more than just investing in a proper set from the get go, which will last you many years anyway.

My advice is always speak to a reputable club builder, most of them will give an indicative price and really good advice. If you can afford it, do it, if you can't that's fair enough. The option is buy an old season club new, then go to the club builder and get a proper shaft fitted to you put in, that's about £70.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

Can always rely on you to pop up and remind us golf is expensive and that you don’t think it’s worth it.

We get it, you like your plastic castle tees, your donnay clubs and Molitor balls.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can always rely on you to pop up and remind us golf is expensive and that you don’t think it’s worth it.

We get it, you like your plastic castle tees, your donnay clubs and Molitor balls.
And you crack on spending £500 on a new driver every 6 months if you like. :ROFLMAO:

Are plastic castles really the cheapest? Didn't think so.