Driver Issue

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Recently found my driver (Callaway XR Speed, reg flex), feels really flimsy when I swing it, and is literally going around 5 yards further than my 4 wood does off the tee

Does anyone know if it could be related to the flex? Like as in I might be swinging a bit fast for the reg flex

Or could it be something damaged internally on the club?

Or any other suggestions?

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Has the face cracked, does it make a strange noise?

I can't see any cracks, although the original shaft I had in had a crack around the hosel. And when I have just checked for a crack I have noticed it sounds like there's a little fragment of something rattling around inside the club head

D

Deleted member 23270

I assume you either bought it off the shelf or 2nd hand rather than getting fitted for it?

oleinone

Visit site
As you have said, book a lesson with the pro. Point out the disappointing driver distance cf 4 wood. Ask him to check out the driver shaft and head. He will either transform your driving technique or tell you that the driver is crap. Win win.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
If you were swinging it too fast for the reg shaft, I'd expect to see it go left

Isn’t this a myth? A shaft that is too soft can just as easily go right as it never ‘kicks’ due to being overpowered.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I assume you either bought it off the shelf or 2nd hand rather than getting fitted for it?

I had a bit of a fitting, knew what I wanted from that but was more than my budget at the time so waited, then club pro got a lightly used trade in one so a bit fitted and a bit 2nd hand

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I went to a shop near me today

They checked it over and confirmed its fine, the club head rattle is due to some glue apparently and won't impact performance. The shaft is fine for my swing speed and their staff member got 270 ish and straight out of it, so looks like a case of operator error ?

Although they did advise shots were going a little high so suggested I dropped it down to 9.5 degree (it's adjustable)

Played 18 afterwards and every drive was fairway or within a yard of the fairway so hopefully it was just all in my head haha think I may end up a little more confident with it now I know the club isn't damaged