Driver gains after fitting.

two-clubs

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have only ever used drivers bought off the shelf with no fitting and usually after just having a go with demo clubs.

Would I see much in the way of gain by getting properly fitted? what gains did you see?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Depending on how good or bad a fit your current driver is you may see more distance and better dispersion or you may not see much at all.
Newer drivers seem to have better ball speed retention from off centre hits but its very hard to quantify
You could see more distance if the fitting optimises your launch and spin.
Only 1 way to find out....

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
As the others have said, better control and dispersion. I bought a new driver a couple of months ago. The fitting took 90 minutes, we tested 4 different drivers and a few different shafts, compared them to each other and to my own current driver (Ping G400) and at the end the Cobra Radspeed was the best on numbers, look and feel.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Wasn't fitted for mine just had a load of shafts and experimented with diff heads. But have tried it against most of the other drivers available, none of which came close to the M2#1 with matrix white tie 5x3 stiff. Alas they don't make the same shaft any longer, or at least the 9ne the new company make is nothing like the original after market matrix shafts

Tinkerman

Visit site
With ranges having toptracer, etc now I think there is less of a need for having a fitting these days, as long as you have got access to the numbers so you at least compare carry distances and dispersion.
I had a 3w fitting recently where I wanted to try the Cobra Radspeed Draw against my Sim Max. Fitter said the Cobra didn't suit me and no difference. Not convinced I bought one a few weeks later and last night got on a par 5 in 2 hitting the cobra arrow straight and 222yds. The SIM Max only even got to 195-200yds on that hole previously. Fitters aren't always right Imo

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
70 year old 18 handicapper at our club been using a Ping G5 for years. Everything high weak slice, going sideways at the end. 160-170 max.

Pro was selling the last G410s for a knock down price. So our guy went for a fitting. Old driver was too lofted and spinning like crazy.

With run, new one way past 200 after running out . Much lower and straight.

Massive gain as much about unsuitability of the G5, as the improvement in the new one.

Our guy is chuffed, won the last medal

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I bought an Epic Flash driver off the shelf with stock Evenflow Stiff flex shaft. Did OK with it but wasn't entirely happy with the ball flight and consistency.

Spoke to my pro and he loaned me 3 shafts which I tried and after a day or 2 settled on a regular flex version of the same shaft.

Much better for me, I can feel the head now when I swing ( old shaft was too boardy and dead) and as a result can control it better and I think I can load it better eeking out a bit extra distance also

I have been cynical about fittings in the past but one thing I believe is absolutely important is to have the most flexible shaft that you can get away with.

I am getting on a bit so my swing speed is not quite the same as it was.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I bought an Epic Flash driver off the shelf with stock Evenflow Stiff flex shaft. Did OK with it but wasn't entirely happy with the ball flight and consistency.

Spoke to my pro and he loaned me 3 shafts which I tried and after a day or 2 settled on a regular flex version of the same shaft.

Much better for me, I can feel the head now when I swing ( old shaft was too boardy and dead) and as a result can control it better and I think I can load it better eeking out a bit extra distance also

I have been cynical about fittings in the past but one thing I believe is absolutely important is to have the most flexible shaft that you can get away with.

I am getting on a bit so my swing speed is not quite the same as it was.
Flex has nothing to do with it.
Shaft preference comes down to feel alone.
I use X Stiff shafts. In the past I’ve nutted my female friends lady flex driver past mine.
Could I use hers all the time, unlikely as it feels like a wet noodle, but it goes to prove that flex means very little

elmoag

Club Champion
Visit site
Most people who have a proper driver fit don’t want to hear the answer to gains In accuracy and distance. as it messes with their ego.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I went and got fitted at Precision Golf for my new Ping G425 SFT and Aldila NV green shaft. Had swingweight tweaked a bit too. It has changed my driving completely. I now reach for it on 9 holes at my home course instead of the 1, because I trust it to keep me in play. I've lost a bit of distance, but I'm not hitting three off the tee, dropping out of a lateral hazard or chipping out of trees all the time, so I consider it a great purchase.
I tried Radspeed, Ping Max and SFT, PXG, Epic Flash and SIM2 (3 swings with that was enough for me to know it was terrible for me), and the difference in numbers was marked for the SFT.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Most people who have a proper driver fit don’t want to hear the answer to gains In accuracy and distance. as it messes with their ego.
I think their egos are very safe - nobody gives answers to gains in accuracy and distance because there arent any. If there were any gains, they would be well documented. The best that can be said is that people have a good few hours talking golf waffle and pseudomechanics, and if they consider that worth the money, then up to them how they spend their money. The implication though that their are actual gains in golf performance to be had is where it all gets rather murky. So, if you are realistic, and expect gains, you will be disappointed. If you expect no gains, or are good at self delusion, it may be for you.

elmoag

Club Champion
Visit site
I would say there are clear gains in consistency and distance to be had for a considerable amount of golfers not all obviously by shortening the length of the club and improving the quality of the strike. Not good first tee chat to tell your mates the fitting resulted in the club being shorter as they are widely inconsistent with a driver.
I think their egos are very safe - nobody gives answers to gains in accuracy and distance because there arent any. If there were any gains, they would be well documented. The best that can be said is that people have a good few hours talking golf waffle and pseudomechanics, and if they consider that worth the money, then up to them how they spend their money. The implication though that their are actual gains in golf performance to be had is where it all gets rather murky. So, if you are realistic, and expect gains, you will be disappointed. If you expect no gains, or are good at self delusion, it may be for you.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Depends on how unsuitable the current driver is. And how good the fitting is.

Going to AG and being handed 3 different shafts to try isn't the same as going somewhere that knows how to get the best out a driver/shaft combination for a given swing.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It depends on what you want out your driver - some want distance, dispersion, feelings or just a new pretty shinny new club in the bag!

D

Deleted member 18588

None of us can receive the same level of fitting as the Tour pro's.

Yet they still miss fairways, often by a considerable distance, although they do tend to be less inconsistent than we mere mortals and their length is pretty constant.

Both of these are attributable to quality of swing and, increasingly, bio-mechanics.

Personally I have found that fitted drivers have very rarely performed any better than those I have chosen on feel and I have had plenty from both sources over the years ?

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Flex has nothing to do with it.
Shaft preference comes down to feel alone.
I use X Stiff shafts. In the past I’ve nutted my female friends lady flex driver past mine.
Could I use hers all the time, unlikely as it feels like a wet noodle, but it goes to prove that flex means very little

How can flex mean very little?? You admit that that you can't keep the soft shaft straight. Flex is as much about line as distance.