Driver gains after fitting.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was fitted for my driver two years ago. Wasn't really a huge distance gain, since my old driver was the Ping G30 and I went to the G410 in the end, so it was never going to blow it out of the water. Ended up with Tensei Orange shaft, which is not one I ever would have bought off the shelf, but I hit it much straighter with that shaft in, and slight distance gains just from lessening the amount of fade on it. Two years later I still love the driver and I'm not thinking of changing it, so that's good enough for me.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
How can flex mean very little?? You admit that that you can't keep the soft shaft straight. Flex is as much about line as distance.
You ever heard of Autoflex shafts. They fit on weight and not flex…
And where did I say I couldn’t keep it straight?
Flex means nothing. Weight and shaft makeup is what you’ll settle on.
Their is no standardisation across the industry, what is one brands stiff could be another regular.
I prefer x shafts because I like the stout feeling (From experience anything from KBS works in irons and Project X in the woods).

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think their egos are very safe - nobody gives answers to gains in accuracy and distance because there arent any. If there were any gains, they would be well documented.
I’d recommend reading Tom Wishon’s “The new search for the perfect golf club”.

There is a number of parameters in each golf club build:

- shaft length
- lie angle
- head/shaft/grip weight resulting in the swing weight
- shaft flex

Then there is a choice of the club head design, materials etc.

Finding the combination that works closest to optimal for a given player is what club fitting is about.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’d recommend reading Tom Wishon’s “The new search for the perfect golf club”.
I have. It goes down a pseudoscience wormhole, and plays into the hands of launch monitor junkies and gear manufacturers struggling to create a reason for golfers to buy a new club when really the new one is exactly the same as the last verion - creating an illusion of evolution where non exists.
Where club fitting never goes, restricting itself to launch monitor data bubble, is through the barrier into real world golf. It probably knows that if it did, the whole illusion, like a conjurer's smoke and mirrors, would collapse.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have. It goes down a pseudoscience wormhole, and plays into the hands of launch monitor junkies and gear manufacturers struggling to create a reason for golfers to buy a new club when really the new one is exactly the same as the last verion - creating an illusion of evolution where non exists.
Where club fitting never goes, restricting itself to launch monitor data bubble, is through the barrier into real world golf. It probably knows that if it did, the whole illusion, like a conjurer's smoke and mirrors, would collapse.
The original book predates the popular adoption of launch monitors…

Denying the value of club fitting is as absurd as suggesting that everyone should have same (or randomly allocated) size shoes ?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Denying the value of club fitting is as absurd as suggesting that everyone should have same (or randomly allocated) size shoes ?

It isnt - but this false analogy must be the most go-to line used to create the illusion. But when there is no hard data, what else have they got ?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Here's some hard data. I've been *** with a driver most of my golfing life. The first driver I've had properly fitted, and I mean choice of heads, shafts, swingweight, etc. and I'm hitting it the best I've ever hit a driver. No swing changes that can be attributed to it. Just the driver fitting. Nothing anyone says will convince me that my driver fitting was luck or a waste of money.
I believe they can help some people, but not everyone. Bloody well helped me is all I can say.

peld

Visit site
None of us can receive the same level of fitting as the Tour pro's.

Yet they still miss fairways, often by a considerable distance, although they do tend to be less inconsistent than we mere mortals and their length is pretty constant.

Both of these are attributable to quality of swing and, increasingly, bio-mechanics.

Personally I have found that fitted drivers have very rarely performed any better than those I have chosen on feel and I have had plenty from both sources over the years ?
Missing fairways means jack sh#t nowadays. Consider a 400 yrd par 4 - would you rather be 180yrds out in the middle of the fairway or 100 yrds out in the first cut?