Driver / Fairway address the ball or Centre of Stance

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just watched Shaun Clements video about the driver setup and noticed he had the ball off his front instep but he had the club addressed in the middel of his stance keeping his shoulders more inline

Has anybody tried this instead of having the driver close to the ball at setup

What difference would this make ?

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That would help me as i suffer badly with open shoulders with the driver and this i am sure has encouraged my pull shot

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just watched it and it looked very good. I'll give it a go on the practice field. If you can nail it it has to be good for 20 yrds at least.

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tried it out before and it seemed to help my slice. But then my pro didn't really like me doing it when I had a lesson so I haven't since.

Rich2601

Hacker
Visit site
As you can see I don't post much, just tend to have a read, but I actually saw this video a few weeks before Xmas. I play off 13 at a club in Surrey and have always struggled with consistency with my driver. After watching this clip I tried addressing in the centre of my stance and not the ball and what a difference! It's been a eureka moment and my driving has improved ten fold!

Worth a try, if anything will straighten your set up up!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As you can see I don't post much, just tend to have a read, but I actually saw this video a few weeks before Xmas. I play off 13 at a club in Surrey and have always struggled with consistency with my driver. After watching this clip I tried addressing in the centre of my stance and not the ball and what a difference! It's been a eureka moment and my driving has improved ten fold!

Worth a try, if anything will straighten your set up up!

Welcome along. Where do you play?

I have just had my pro move my ball position forward for all my clubs as the bottom of my arc wasn't where I thought it was and so I wasn't compressing down properly. I now have the driver just level with the toe but more importantly I need to ficus on keeping the left shoulder lower to make a proper turn.

My irons are probably where most people would have a 3 wood and it is almost opposite the left breast (can I say that mods?). I am sure as a junior I played all my shots from the same position and just adjusted the width of the stance.

Rich2601

Hacker
Visit site
Welcome along. Where do you play?

I have just had my pro move my ball position forward for all my clubs as the bottom of my arc wasn't where I thought it was and so I wasn't compressing down properly. I now have the driver just level with the toe but more importantly I need to ficus on keeping the left shoulder lower to make a proper turn.

My irons are probably where most people would have a 3 wood and it is almost opposite the left breast (can I say that mods?). I am sure as a junior I played all my shots from the same position and just adjusted the width of the stance.

Hi Homer,

I play at Puttenham Golf Club near Guildford, only been playing for 5 years since retiring from cricket.

DAVEYBOY

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I don't get it??? I've never seen a pro or amateur start with his club head 10 inches behind the ball. It makes sense but I must be missing something here :confused:

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I don't get it??? I've never seen a pro or amateur start with his club head 10 inches behind the ball. It makes sense but I must be missing something here :confused:

Havent watched the video yet but if its as I suspect a way to ensure you're not opening the shoulders then thats fine, most pro's and lower h/caps already try to ensure their shoulders are square to their swingpath anyway so don't really need a 'confirmer'

markyjee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is that the way Moe Norman addressed the ball?
Proclaimed himself either the greatest striker of a golf ball or the straightest hitter of a golf ball, can't remember which.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I started doing this with my driver a few weeks ago and it has made a big difference to my driving, my wild slice has been replaced by a gentle fade and sometimes I even find the fairway.

It's definitely worth a try if your usual drive is a fade/slice.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Is that the way Moe Norman addressed the ball?
Proclaimed himself either the greatest striker of a golf ball or the straightest hitter of a golf ball, can't remember which.

Yep. Find a video of him swinging face on on YouTube, its amazing to watch.

If you can find a video of any clinics he did you can tell the people watching can't believe how close every single ball goes to the last one.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
fell at my place did it with every shot. even putting. i was playing with him one day and said he should try putting the putter right in behind the ball. he came up to me the following week saying how well he had been putting. it takes all sorts really. why he did this with the putter i will never know.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
My pro got me to not only have the driver in the centre at address but to also play the ball just forward of centre. It improved my driving big time and helped me to hit the ball with a slight draw and added so much more distance and accuracy. He plays his driver in the same place as me and himself gets coached by Butch Harmon who suggested it to him.

Anyone that has a tendency to slice should give it a try. If you have low flexibility to turn it helps.