Couldn't positively identify ball

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whatever works for you is good. I've been intrigued by the spate of reviews becoming accessible online by the equipment guru sites (eg TXG, Rick Shiels) where different balls are compared - key conclusions being there is virtually no difference between many of the balls that are out there despite significant differences in price/marketing. Another huge difference is where you are on the planet, the big sellers in some places are markedly different in other parts. I've been working through a rotation of over a dozen different balls and find no discernible difference across brands. Conclusion: the monkey swinging the club is the key variable.

I do the simple thing - my own ball testing. We are allowed to play two balls when playing on our own, so I compare one make against another in actual use rather than what is says on a machine. Personally I find quite a difference with some makes and even between the same make of ball and type just different versions.

e.g Through the years there are some versions of the Prov1 that I would never use , the difference between a 1st version Callaway Chrome Soft and the graphene version is very noticeable. I bought 3 dozen of the latter based upon the former. Played one ball for 5 holes and resold them.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I'm not suggesting all balls are the same, some target very different market niches. I'm saying I can find many balls by different manufacturers that produce highly consistent results with those of other manufacturers, despite very different price points, with no one ball standing out. But of course each player is the customer and can choose whatever they wish.
As to manufacturer's claims relating to clubs, that is a joke. I recently spent hours with an experienced professional fitter and multiple settings for a wide range of the current 2021 drivers for the fitter to conclude that they could not improve on the stats I get from my battered 2009 driver. That said, I'm happy for anyone that wants to spend 500 quid on a new driver.

Disagree with you on balls. Each manufacturer will have similar balls. But there is quite a difference between some types. I play Titleist AVX because it keeps my driver spin rates down. If I play with a ProV1 I lose quite a bit of distance and get a much higher ball flight.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Disagree with you on balls. Each manufacturer will have similar balls. But there is quite a difference between some types. I play Titleist AVX because it keeps my driver spin rates down. If I play with a ProV1 I lose quite a bit of distance and get a much higher ball flight.

"That" is veeerry interesting. I shall have a go with that ball. Mind you, is that because you hit long anyway and your ball speed is high,or will it work for humbler speeds?

salfordlad

Visit site
I don't think there is a single right and wrong answer here - when I've compared AVX and ProV1 I've not gotten any significant difference between them, they are both on my 'tick' list. My little launch monitor doesn't do spin rates.