DQ for teeing off early?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Three of my friends were first off in a Comp. As there was nobody ahead of them on the course they teed off a few minutes early. This must have been witnessed by a committee member, because they were all later DQ'd. I have heard of players being penalised or DQ'd for teeing off late, but not early. What is the relevant rule or decision on this? One of my friends was livid about this because he would otherwise have won a prize!

P.S. There was not a Starter for this comp.

Last edited:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Three of my friends were first off in a Comp. As there was nobody ahead of them on the course they teed off a few minutes early. This must have been witnessed by a committee member, because they were all later DQ'd. I have heard of players being penalised or DQ'd for teeing off late, but not early. What is the relevant rule or decision on this? One of my friends was livid about this because he would otherwise have won a prize!

i know rules are rules but jaysus Christ. if anything they are helping the field buy getting out early and easing the congestion.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Rule 6-3a states that players must start at the time established by the committee. It gives the penalties for being late, but not early as far as I can see.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
6-3a/5

Q.
In stroke play, A, B and C were scheduled to start at 9:00 am. All players were present at the 1st tee at 8:56 am. Without being given authority to do so by the Committee, A started at 8:58 am, B started at 8:59 am and C started at 9:00 am. What is the ruling?

A.
Unless the Committee considers that the players have started early as a result of an error by the Committee or its representative, A and B are subject to a penalty of disqualification for failing to start at the scheduled time (see penalty statement under Rule 6-3a). However, in view of the fact that starting within five minutes after the time of starting results in a penalty of two strokes in stroke play under Rule 6-3a, the penalty for starting early, but within five minutes of the starting time, should be the same. Therefore, under Rule 33-7, the Committee should modify the disqualification penalty to two strokes, unless there is good reason not to do so, e.g. the players ignored a direct instruction from the Committee not to start before 9:00 am.

C incurs no penalty as he did start at 9:00 am, which was the time established by the Committee.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rule 6-3a states that players must start at the time established by the committee. It gives the penalties for being late, but not early as far as I can see.

Decision 6-3a/5 quoted by Region3, corroborates what is already in the words of Rule 6-3a. Nowhere does the Rule or the penalty statement mention starting late. You must start at the time established by the Committee; if you don't, you have a loss of hole or 2 stroke penalty if within five minute of that time (before or after is implicit). More than 5 minutes away (again either before or after is implicit) and you are disqualified. Starting before the designated time is just the same as starting after it: neither is at the time.

You mention a few minutes. As you will see from the Decision, it is necessary to establish by how much time each player is away from the correct time. Someone might have been lucky and teed off on time.

Last edited:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Decision 6-3a/5 quoted by Region3, corroborates what is already in the words of Rule 6-3a. Nowhere does the Rule or the penalty statement mention starting late. You must start at the time established by the Committee; if you don't, you have a loss of hole or 2 stroke penalty if within five minute of that time (before or after is implicit). More than 5 minutes away (again either before or after is implicit) and you are disqualified. Starting before the designated time is just the same as starting after it: neither is at the time.

You mention a few minutes. As you will see from the Decision, it is necessary to establish by how much time each player is away from the correct time. Someone might have been lucky and teed off on time.

So what happens, for example, if the players can't tee off at the correct time because the group in front haven't yet moved out of range?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Define a few minutes early, and if all of them have been dq'd then how early was the last player to tee off in the group.

Crazy decision, unless we're not getting all the story.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Define a few minutes early, and if all of them have been dq'd then how early was the last player to tee off in the group.

Crazy decision, unless we're not getting all the story.

The group started teeing off about 7 or 8 minutes before their allocated time, about one tee slot ahead, as we have 8 minute tee slots. I understand that the committee member noticed that there was nobody on the tee at the correct time and asked why, which is how this infringement came to light.

Last edited:

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Think I would leave my club if they tried to pull a decision like that.

Makes you see why so many of my friends in their 20s hate golf.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If this happens at our place we mention it to the Pro when signing in and they act as the committee in this instance by giving permission to go early (the organising committee are normally playing).

Often happens if a group pulls out so there would otherwise be a gap.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
If this happens at our place we mention it to the Pro when signing in and they act as the committee in this instance by giving permission to go early (the organising committee are normally playing).

We're the same, but to DQ the very first group out is just plain stupid, if the place is run like that across the board I'm sure I wouldn't hang around too long.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of the reasons for the prohibition for starting too early is that the course preparation may not have been completed. eg tee markers in correct position. This is often done for the 1st tee by the starter.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One of the reasons for the prohibition for starting too early is that the course preparation may not have been completed. eg tee markers in correct position. This is often done for the 1st tee by the starter.

Exactly......and in cases were a buffer time is set between competition and non competition players AND if the club penalise the second group for not keeping up with play.

But as a former club manager a match teeing off early.....sometimes with a 6.30am tee off......can cause havoc with the greenstaff preparing the course.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Committee-itis (albeit legitimate) strikes again!

3 notices of resignations from the club - or maybe from the entire Senior section - would not be too much of an over-reaction imo!

I don't believe the 'early start' wasn't so early that Greenkeepers would be put under significant stress/pressure!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

A few issues here

1. The comp committee have shown a clear lack of common sense - yes by rules it's a DQ but going off early if there is a gap should be looked at with common sense - happens at my place all the time and players are alllowed to go early if there is a space

2. Delc - I believe your club has major issues - I'm amazed at how many rule breaks and issues that seem to happen at your club and on many occasions in the same group as you. I would suggest that education is required for your golf club

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry, but you shouldn't tee off early or late in a comp and penalties should be enforced. It is enforced by our Ladies section.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry, but you shouldn't tee off early or late in a comp and penalties should be enforced. It is enforced by our Ladies section.
We must have a higher percentage of common sense at our place. Sections or committees never become involved.

Go a bit early if it's clear - no one is getting hurt.

If you are running a bit late, swap with the group behind if they are ready so you've got time to register and lace your shoes up.

They're just club comps not WAGR

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
A few issues here

1. The comp committee have shown a clear lack of common sense - yes by rules it's a DQ but going off early if there is a gap should be looked at with common sense - happens at my place all the time and players are alllowed to go early if there is a space

2. Delc - I believe your club has major issues - I'm amazed at how many rule breaks and issues that seem to happen at your club and on many occasions in the same group as you. I would suggest that education is required for your golf club

Rules are rules! How many are we supposed to ignore? TBH I wasn't aware that you could be DQ'd for starting before your allocated time prior to this incident, and I used to be a Competition Secretary at another club.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

But that is a change authorised by a representative of the committee, so not a problem!