DQ for teeing off early?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I’m for the common sense approach too but just for fun, cos believe it or not it actually happened… I played last Saturday, 2 tee start, shower during the front 9 but no effect on the game, with two holes to go the heavens opened big style, couldn’t continue, standing water across fairway appeared in under 5 minutes, thunder across the course, most walked in (in buggys) with no scores

The group in front of us (10 minute separation) tried to keep going but couldn’t putt on their last green due to standing water, the group in front of them (10 minute separation) got in bone dry and scooped prizes wondering what all the fuss was about

Everyone accepted it as just one of those things and acknowledged their win, but if it then came out they'd gone out 10 minutes early....

Just saying :p

edit, last week its likely no one would've objected anyway as it wasn't that important a comp, tomorrow is a pairs betterball open with a 12 tee shotgun start where the prizes might be a little more desirable to some and there might be a bit of a stooshie if weather was replicated and lead group jumped the gun by 10 minutes

If not all the competitors could complete their rounds due to adverse weather conditions, shouldn't the competition be be cancelled or suspended until the rounds can be completed?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
If not all the competitors could complete their rounds due to adverse weather conditions, shouldn't the competition be be cancelled or suspended until the rounds can be completed?

This might be considered to be common sense.

If the Committee or its authorized representative considers that for any reason the course is not in a playable condition or that there are circumstances that render the proper playing of the game impossible, it may, in match play or stroke play, order a temporary suspension of play or, in stroke play, declare play null and void and cancel all scores for the round in question. When a round is canceled, all penalties incurred in that round are canceled.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

In this case it wasn't played at a home course so probably more like a society, so using the course later after a suspension not really an option

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm with the common sense brigade but it does mean that things can start getting murky.

What would people think if a group teed off 10 mins early in a shot gun start and they were in a position on the course which stopped a legitimate group teeing off when the gun fired - any penalty?

A group teed of 10 min before the course was actually open (ours has a rule - no play before 0730) - any penalty?

Just playing devils advocate really but experience sometimes tells you that common sense has a habit of coming back to bite you.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't see how starting early on a shotgun start would stop someone else. All that would happen is that they would be stood next to the next tee waiting for the group in front to take their first tee shot. You would just bunch very early in your round. No doubt also getting an earful about how a shotgun start works 😁.

I do get your point though.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've not got any regular playing partners so I just my name down in comps where there are spaces (a great way to get to know people at the the club). On a couple of occasions my fellow competitor has not turned up and I've just been told to join the group in front or behind or I wouldn't have got a game. No one would have been in the least bit bothered whether I teed off a few minutes earlier or later than my allotted time as a result.

Rules are important, but so is common sense. Problem is the line between the two is different for different people.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've not got any regular playing partners so I just my name down in comps where there are spaces (a great way to get to know people at the the club). On a couple of occasions my fellow competitor has not turned up and I've just been told to join the group in front or behind or I wouldn't have got a game. No one would have been in the least bit bothered whether I teed off a few minutes earlier or later than my allotted time as a result.

Rules are important, but so is common sense. Problem is the line between the two is different for different people.

Generally the normal club medal will take advantage of this decision.

[h=2]33-3/3[/h] [h=4]Competitors Determining Own Groupings and Starting Times[/h]Q.May a Committee permit competitors in a stroke-play competition to determine their own groupings and starting times?

A.Yes. Rule 33-3 does not prohibit such an arrangement.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Generally the normal club medal will take advantage of this decision.

33-3/3

Competitors Determining Own Groupings and Starting Times

Q.May a Committee permit competitors in a stroke-play competition to determine their own groupings and starting times?

A.Yes. Rule 33-3 does not prohibit such an arrangement.

However, when the starting times and groups have been assigned by the Committee, Rule 6-3 is in effect and there are consequences for starting early or late, or changing groups without Committee approval. A starting time of 9:00 means 9:00:00.

The issue with common sense is that it isn't either; that's why there are Rules.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
However, when the starting times and groups have been assigned by the Committee, Rule 6-3 is in effect and there are consequences for starting early or late, or changing groups without Committee approval. A starting time of 9:00 means 9:00:00.

And if someone changed groups without the committees approval, they should be DQ'd?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not necessarily, the Committee have discretion.

In stroke play, the competitor must remain throughout the round in the group arranged by the Committee, unless the Committee authorizes or ratifies a change.
where I play if a player find himself on his own a player is required to join him from the game behind as four balls are not permitted in comps.

unless it's a four ball comp don't know what happens then as its never come up where three players don't turn up.

we all know this so it's never a problem.

so as such times are a bit flexible in these circumstances. Common sense prevails!

D

Deleted member 1740

where I play if a player find himself on his own a player is required to join him from the game behind as four balls are not permitted in comps.

unless it's a four ball comp don't know what happens then as its never come up where three players don't turn up.

we all know this so it's never a problem.

so as such times are a bit flexible in these circumstances. Common sense prevails!

Where do you play champ?

Pm me if you want