DQ for not returning card.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wasn’t going to post this as it was sorted ok but!
Last Saturday I played in the comp teeing off at 4.28 pm .
We finished at 8.05pm
Put my stuff away and went for a drink in the clubhouse.
Left there at 8.40 pm and got home about 9pm .
At 9.15 I was not able to upload my score and photo to IG.
Thought I will give it a minute there might be a problem.
At 9.36pm I got an email saying comp finalised and I was DQ for non return of card.
I don’t have the internet on my phone so do it on my iPad when I get home.
Called the comp sec and he put my score into the comp no prob but had a little go at me for being late.
So under 5 hrs after I hit my tee shot off the first tee is deemed late
This is the only method of putting card in there’s no box.

The main reason I posted is my mate works on a Saturday and the last tee time is 4.28pm so I am in the same situation tomorrow.
Is he right to do this ?
I think if your going to have tees this late ,time is needed to upload cards.
He subsequently told me he started finalising the comp at 8.30 pm.!
That’s a bit early imo.

Swango1980

Visit site
It is harsh when you have late tee times. We (my old club now) discussed this, and any comps in which players could tee off in the early evening, then the closing time would be noon the following day (ideally it would be midnight on the night played, in terms of handicap at least, but it wasn't fair on the Comp Sec having to stay up until midnight to check all scores had been returned)

If there was a PSI screen available at your club house, then there is an argument you should have used this. However, if the comp is finalised at 8.30, that gives you less than 4 hrs to complete round and enter score. This could be impossible to meet if you end up behind some slower groups.

NearHull

Visit site
I’m seem to recall the guidance is cards are to be returned promptly but not later than midnight. Unsure of the source.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is there not a facility to enter the card at the club when u finish ? Most places ive played u finish ur round, enter ur score on computer, throw scorecard in box , go on ur way

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Whatever the protocols are at your club, to DQ you within five hours of hitting your first tee shot seems ludicrously harsh.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is there not a facility to enter the card at the club when u finish ? Most places ive played u finish ur round, enter ur score on computer, throw scorecard in box , go on ur way
We have two screens but they are not in use since COVID.
That’s the normal thing and card in box.
But since we reopened it’s IG upload only.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is harsh when you have late tee times. We (my old club now) discussed this, and any comps in which players could tee off in the early evening, then the closing time would be noon the following day (ideally it would be midnight on the night played, in terms of handicap at least, but it wasn't fair on the Comp Sec having to stay up until midnight to check all scores had been returned)

If there was a PSI screen available at your club house, then there is an argument you should have used this. However, if the comp is finalised at 8.30, that gives you less than 4 hrs to complete round and enter score. This could be impossible to meet if you end up behind some slower groups.
Nobody in front of us.
PSI screens not in use ,IG upload only.
My two pps uploaded their score in the clubhouse so only my card was missing.
I don’t have internet on my phone
Still think it’s to early to close comp ,but understand someone is waiting on it.
Do clubs have a published time the card has to be in by.?

Could this have something to do with players wanting the scores published so their handicaps are adjusted for the Sunday morning ?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Handicaps will be updated irrespective of whether the comp has been closed or not.

Competitions and Handicapping are effectively now two separate processes...its not like the old CONGU days when a comp had to be closed to calculate the CSS before players handicaps could be adjusted.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My club has given up with the Sg app when it comes to scores now. We have to screens in the clubhouse or give the card in at the pro shop. We had loads not able to input scores after the round.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our club rules for weekend comps is that cards must be in the office by 10 am Monday morning.

There would be no access to PSI screens after 9 pm here and in our optional medals there is no final time for entry.