Don't Pay UK

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If we wait to see what happens before doing something it'll be too late...Ovo Energy's boss, Stephen Fitzpatrick. Well it would appear that we are waiting...

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
very interseting video on the US and its strategic advantages in many areas, and talks a lot about their oil and gas resurgence over the past 20 years and how they are in control of their energy policy, in stark contrast to Europe - also laying bare the awful decisions that Europe have made over the past decade. Fracking is bound to be a hot topic over the coming months, especially when you understand what it has done for the US

D

Deleted member 3432

Looks like we took a decision on 2008 we said we wanted to build 8 nuclear stations to replace the ageing sites, but later decision was made by someone not to build because they won’t be ready by 2021 ..

Hindsight is always 20/20

May be best to first come up with a solution for long term storage of our existing nuclear waste before we create more....

Need to find the 20-53 billion required to build the GDF (big underground storage repository) to store existing waste for 200,000 years and this won't be ready before 2040 even if they started tomorrow.
Then find an area of the country who's population is happy to have this underneath them.

Then there's the fact we don't reprocess any spent fuel now, Magnox at Sellafield finished last month so all spent fuel from reactors will now be left in cooling ponds indefinitely with no capability to reprocess.

While in theory nuclear is a good solution, we need storage for existing and new waste and strategy to reprocess new waste.

New builds are a good soundbite but far more involved than just building one.....upfront cost of new build far smaller than the back end cost of making it safe(r) and long term storage.

Fusion would be the game changer but pie in the sky at present

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just thought I'd depress myself a little by working out exactly what we might be facing in the coming months.

I've based this on the last 12 months consumption which works out to be 18,770 kWh in gas and 4,291 kWh in electricity.

In October our monthly payment would increase to £439.00* (from £300.00) and in January to £658.00.

The projected standing charge would be 74p per day for gas and £1.13 per day for electricity assuming nothing changes. This would mean paying the thick end of £700 a year for just having gas and electricity supplied to the home with zero usage!!

* This doesn't take into account the £66 per month reduction we're going to get for the 6 months from October

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just thought I'd depress myself a little by working out exactly what we might be facing in the coming months.

I've based this on the last 12 months consumption which works out to be 18,770 kWh in gas and 4,291 kWh in electricity.

In October our monthly payment would increase to £439.00* (from £300.00) and in January to £658.00.

The projected standing charge would be 74p per day for gas and £1.13 per day for electricity assuming nothing changes. This would mean paying the thick end of £700 a year for just having gas and electricity supplied to the home with zero usage!!

* This doesn't take into account the £66 per month reduction we're going to get for the 6 months from October

If I do nothing and go onto the variable in Feb (this calculated at October price cap so will rise) 8500 KW (down a bit because of the panels) £4294 (electric only)

If I stay on go faster (8.25 night 40p day currently, My deal is 5.5p ATM until Feb) £2500 but once the battery arrives next month can load manage to about £1500 ..

Gas managed to lock until April at 9p (at time seemed massive now it's small fry)

So until April £800 in gas from now (based on last year's figures)

I've managed to build up £800 in credit keeping my DD at £200 .. the solars helped boost that (example this month £62 bill, £10 credit for selling back, used to be £100-110)

So from now until April let's assume zero solar to plan for worst case

£100 month electric sept - Feb (£500)
£200 month Feb to April (£400)
Gas £800 as previously stated

£1700 until April .. £800 credit so £900 to find .. 400 help from gov so £500 left which will be covered in my payments and still hopefully keep a good slush towards post April

If the battery is installed by Oct I can load manage to build up more saving

Just kicking can down road but hopefully can keep bills at this level until next winter

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If I do nothing and go onto the variable in Feb (this calculated at October price cap so will rise) 8500 KW (down a bit because of the panels) £4294 (electric only)

If I stay on go faster (8.25 night 40p day currently, My deal is 5.5p ATM until Feb) £2500 but once the battery arrives next month can load manage to about £1500 ..

Gas managed to lock until April at 9p (at time seemed massive now it's small fry)

So until April £800 in gas from now (based on last year's figures)

I've managed to build up £800 in credit keeping my DD at £200 .. the solars helped boost that (example this month £62 bill, £10 credit for selling back, used to be £100-110)

So from now until April let's assume zero solar to plan for worst case

£100 month electric sept - Feb (£500)
£200 month Feb to April (£400)
Gas £800 as previously stated

£1700 until April .. £800 credit so £900 to find .. 400 help from gov so £500 left which will be covered in my payments and still hopefully keep a good slush towards post April

If the battery is installed by Oct I can load manage to build up more saving

Just kicking can down road but hopefully can keep bills at this level until next winter

Ah yeah, should have added into mind, managed to build up £1,000 in credit and figure I can get that up a little bit more until the heating goes back on. That'll help us get through this winter and hope that additional help/ideas will arrive before we face winter 2023.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ah yeah, should have added into mind, managed to build up £1,000 in credit and figure I can get that up a little bit more until the heating goes back on. That'll help us get through this winter and hope that additional help/ideas will arrive before we face winter 2023.

Before the solar project I was just hoping to keep the old rates for a year on go faster (which I luckily did , 14 day 5.5 night) I said I'd up my DD to £200 (was £180) and hopefully see this mess out or least have a level amount for 2 years

I'm now just hoping the project can help us level off the bills another year after that , hopefully won't last forever

What seriously concerns me is I'm able to do this and it's not ideal but manageable , had to pay £150 a month for the project for 10 years etc

How the hell are people going to manage on mass? This is insane.

Something has to be done and soon.

No sooner as I post this the Russians have shut off the gas to Europe indefinitely..

Definitely need to do something

Last edited:

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i am glad that common sense has prevailed today.... there is help for ALL households.
There will always be debate about national debt, but that is for another day.