Don't attend the flag in Winter?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our Tuesday group allows gimmes of less than about 3 feet by mutual consent, but we are all experienced golfers and know not to do this in qualifiers. Btw, also in a medal competition, I have had a FC pick up his ball because he could no longer score a Stableford point (he was used to playing Stablefords!). He was a bit upset when I told him that he had to replace his ball, add a penalty shot and then finish the hole!

You can NR any hole at any time in stroke play if you want to.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
There is no requirement to do as you advised your FC. You are free to pick up and NR any hole as I stated above.

Winning is neither here nor there.

Yes, of course you can NR any hole or even a complete round, but in a medal you won't get a score. Any NR holes will count as nett double bogeys for handicapping purposes.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, of course you can NR any hole or even a complete round, but in a medal you won't get a score. Any NR holes will count as nett double bogeys for handicapping purposes.

Yes I know all of that too, hence why I challenged your advice to your FC that he had to take a penalty shot, drop his ball and finish the hole.

That is inccorect, he didn't as you have just confirmed.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Yes I know all of that too, hence why I challenged your advice to your FC that he had to take a penalty shot, drop his ball and finish the hole.

That is inccorect, he didn't as you have just confirmed.

I assumed that he did wish to record a total score. We were only talking about a nett treble-bogey in this case, and it was quite early in the round.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I assumed that he did wish to record a total score. We were only talking about a nett treble-bogey in this case, and it was quite early in the round.

You are free to jump to conclusions if that is your wish but that still doesn't change the fact you were wrong above which you have subsequently confirmed yourself.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
At Brancepeth castle we have the same rule. However it is no penalty if the flag is struck. (means all comps are non-qualifying but we don't actually have any in the winter except the league and KO)

Another rule introduced this year is in the bunkers. PICK/MARK -- RAKE -- PLACE then after shot re-rake. Its just a good opportunity to unpack the sand!

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As a matter of interest, between 1956 and 1968, it was allowable to leave the flagstick in the hole when putting on the green. Two other rules were introduced around that time, one being that the ball may only be lifted and cleaned before the first putt, and secondly, the first person to putt must continue putting until the ball is holed or the hole conceded. These rules were introduced to speed-up play, (a problem at that time.) Could any of this help us with slow play today? I believe it would be useful to allow putting with with the flagstick in the hole, without penalty. It's 50/50 whether the flagstick hinders or helps the putt.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I played in a Seniors' Medal today and we tried to avoid tending the flag as much as possible, generally removing the flagstick as soon as we were on the green. Unfortunately the holes had not been moved from the day before and the damage had already been done. Both my FC and I had putts that looked in all the way, only for them to divert off line a few inches from the hole. I actually had 7 lip outs in the first 9 holes and my FC suffered a bit as well. Most of the holes seemed to be slightly volcano shaped, due to footfall around the hole, and were very good at deflecting away good looking putts. :(

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I played in a Seniors' Medal today and we tried to avoid tending the flag as much as possible, generally removing the flagstick as soon as we were on the green. Unfortunately the holes had not been moved from the day before and the damage had already been done. Both my FC and I had putts that looked in all the way, only for them to divert off line a few inches from the hole. I actually had 7 lip outs in the first 9 holes and my FC suffered a bit as well. Most of the holes seemed to be slightly volcano shaped, due to footfall around the hole, and were very good at deflecting good looking putts.

Same moan...different thread. Please give it a rest

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played in a Seniors' Medal today and we tried to avoid tending the flag as much as possible, generally removing the flagstick as soon as we were on the green. Unfortunately the holes had not been moved from the day before and the damage had already been done. Both my FC and I had putts that looked in all the way, only for them to divert off line a few inches from the hole. I actually had 7 lip outs in the first 9 holes and my FC suffered a bit as well. Most of the holes seemed to be slightly volcano shaped, due to footfall around the hole, and were very good at deflecting away good looking putts. :(

It's not attending the flag that causes the issue it's players retrieving their balls from the hole. How many folks do you know who attend the flag with their plates of meat six inches from the hole.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It's not attending the flag that causes the issue it's players retrieving their balls from the hole. How many folks do you know who attend the flag with their plates of meat six inches from the hole.

Certainly probably another contributing factor, but their feet will only be there for a second or two.

Dave3498

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

It's all part of reading the line mate.

Fish

Banned
Visit site

Simple answer to that, if your greens are struggling across the board as you describe, then move on to temps, if you dont want temps, then I would suggest put up or shut up, it is the winter after all 😜😂

The thread that keeps giving 😂

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Certainly probably another contributing factor, but their feet will only be there for a second or two.

And as all their weight comes to bare on the leading foot by bending down to retrieve the ball they increase their ground pressure and your volcano starts to develop , time to move clubs if your greens are that bad all ready .