Does your club require a minimum number of Acceptable Scores before winning prizes in a Competition.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
They've just introduced a three scores in comps rule at ours. Not sure if senior comps are allowed but no matter I don't play in weekend comps. It's very liberating.?

D

Deleted member 3432

I think we have to have had 3 qualifiers in the last 12 months
I Just had a look at our last 4 comps which include 2 board comps and the june and july montly medal. all of the winners had played in 3 qualifiers within the last couple of months and hadnt won anything in the previous 6 months , so thats nice to see regular players having their moment in the winners circle.
However there are rumblings about some of the club knock outs . my mate got hammered 7&6 (i know it happens) by someone who's last qualifier was sept last year and only played 3 in total during 2021 , so im not sure how that works

Doesn't sound like there are many qualifying comps going on at yours, that could be a big part of the problem.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How does the need to put in a certain amount of cards make the Handicap of someone who is manipulating the system suddenly accurate?
If I wanted to win more by having an index higher than my ability, I would be entering more cards not less.
This is a bit like the 'High handicappers win everything' debate - when people look at the numbers and percentages of categories most handicap levels win their fair share. I would also guess that those who enter very few competitions lose more competitions than regular competition players. The serial offenders will only welcome more not less cards.
This was my biggest fear with WHS.
Put in a minimum amount false cap.
Put in loads so you can manipulate a false cap.
No system is perfect but at the moment it’s easy for anyone to fiddle the system to have the cap they want.
Not the one they should have. It’s a problem imo.

D

Deleted member 3432

This was my biggest fear with WHS.
Put in a minimum amount false cap.
Put in loads so you can manipulate a false cap.
No system is perfect but at the moment it’s easy for anyone to fiddle the system to have the cap they want.
Not the one they should have. It’s a problem imo.

Unfortunately it says more about the type of people playing golf these days than any handicapping system.

Newnsy

Visit site
Isn’t the point in the WHS that you put a card in every time you play. I do so my handicap is representative of how I am playing.
I personally don’t understand why more people don’t, putting out makes it slower isn’t an excuse. If you are worried about a 2 foot putt it shouldn’t be a gimme.
It also means for me I don’t care how I perform in a competition any more as I’m not worried about a change in my handicap so I actually have better scores. My lowest ever coming in a medal

mister v

Visit site
Doesn't sound like there are many qualifying comps going on at yours, that could be a big part of the problem.
Its a good point, in a month there seems to be one every other weekend, and 2 or 3 seniors comps in a month, but we also have 9 hole comps every week (yep 9 hole comps going towards your WHS)
So there is a good argument that if your not a senior and work weekends its difficult to get Qualifiers in , But when you see certain people playing roll ups all the time rather than entering the monthly medal/stableford and then hammering people in the knock outs it does stick out like a dogs dick. I know its been mentioned to the HCP committee so i'd imagine a change will come in next year

WGCRider

Visit site
Isn’t the point in the WHS that you put a card in every time you play. I do so my handicap is representative of how I am playing.
I personally don’t understand why more people don’t, putting out makes it slower isn’t an excuse. If you are worried about a 2 foot putt it shouldn’t be a gimme.
It also means for me I don’t care how I perform in a competition any more as I’m not worried about a change in my handicap so I actually have better scores. My lowest ever coming in a medal

Same - for every single completed 18 in England I submit my card. I never submit 9 holes or partial rounds. I don't understand why anyone wouldn't score every round.
Perhaps something else people need to be aware of is that nobody cares what your handicap is, nobody cares what your score is, nobody cares if you won, lost or ended up on a honours board - not your wife, kids or your mates - they all find it boring, it's only matter to you.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Isn’t the point in the WHS that you put a card in every time you play.
Not that I'm aware off. Personally I can never be bothered outside of a competition it doesn't really suit my golf which is often peripatetic, wandering around the course.
I think the point is that you can put in general play cards not that you have to.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
We require a minimum of 5 competition cards submitted in the previous 12 months in order to be eligible to win a board (major) comp. This rule would have led to an awkward conversation on our Captain's Day, as I won on countback, but had it been the other way round the committe would have had to tell the other player he didn't win due to not having enough cards in.

I believe this rule is not enforced for matchplay competitions though

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How does the need to put in a certain amount of cards make the Handicap of someone who is manipulating the system suddenly accurate?
If I wanted to win more by having an index higher than my ability, I would be entering more cards not less.
This is a bit like the 'High handicappers win everything' debate - when people look at the numbers and percentages of categories most handicap levels win their fair share. I would also guess that those who enter very few competitions lose more competitions than regular competition players. The serial offenders will only welcome more not less cards.
It only takes care of those who are genuine high handicappers to start with, then have lessons and 5 months of practise without putting any cards in, come back and score 46 points. It doesn't do anything for handicap manipulators obviously, as they need to put cards in to manipulate it anyway.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
At a previous club it was the team events that were the issue. Same teams winning or coming close to it every year. Same story with most, put in a few comp cards but the same comment comes out of all them 'they don't like individual comps so they do not enter any more than they have to and focus on team events'

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A condition of entry for all ‘board’ competitions (including knockouts) is six WHS qualifying rounds submitted in previous 12months. No specific conditions or criteria pertaining to subsequently winning a board competition.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not wanting to go off topic, but at the end of todays round whilst sat at the 19th three of the lads we’re talking about the opens they have been in recently. They were talking about two lads from another club that have won 3 comps as a pairs. They were basically questioning there handicaps. apparently they were not the only ones when they were at the courses. The point was raised re how many Q scores they had to qualify. Apparently it was the bare minimum hence there hcap was questionable. Listening to the lads they were over the moon re the courses they had played and the cost paid. But folk turning up with dodgy questionable chaps went down like a fart in a spacesuit.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not wanting to go off topic, but at the end of todays round whilst sat at the 19th three of the lads we’re talking about the opens they have been in recently. They were talking about two lads from another club that have won 3 comps as a pairs. They were basically questioning there handicaps. apparently they were not the only ones when they were at the courses. The point was raised re how many Q scores they had to qualify. Apparently it was the bare minimum hence there hcap was questionable. Listening to the lads they were over the moon re the courses they had played and the cost paid. But folk turning up with dodgy questionable chaps went down like a fart in a spacesuit.
I know how they feel.
But atm I havnt heard a single idea to stop it.
WHS is just a “bandits charter” if your that way inclined.

D

Deleted member 3432

Simple solution is for clubs to run Opens as singles comps.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Simple solution is for clubs to run Opens as singles comps.
I don’t know the answer, but again if folk play the minimum amount of comps to get a handicap. Would or could there hcap still be “ artificial”. One thing that could help is Open comps are WHS score comps.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We require a minimum of 5 competition cards submitted in the previous 12 months in order to be eligible to win a board (major) comp. This rule would have led to an awkward conversation on our Captain's Day, as I won on countback, but had it been the other way round the committe would have had to tell the other player he didn't win due to not having enough cards in.

I believe this rule is not enforced for matchplay competitions though

why treat strokeplay and matchplay comps differently?

Tashyboy

Visit site
Just read this from Julys meeting re our place.

The rules currently state that if there have been enough qualifying competitions for a new member to reach the minimum number of 5 NPGC competitions but they have failed to do so, they cannot enter the knockout draws.
It was decided to pro-rata this for members who join after 1st August: down to 4 for 1st August and 3 if they join after 1st September.
If a new member was to join at the end of March (i.e. very little chance to play in any NPGC qualifiers), they would be allowed to enter the knockout draws provided they have played in at least 5 qualifying competitions at their previous golf club.

Dannyc

Visit site
Our club just brought in that u must submit 9 cards this season to qualify for nexts years knockouts and major board comps so seems like this is gathering pace across the board