Does your club adjust your handicap in Winter ?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Re: Does your club adjust your handicap in Winter

My God - it must be grim from watford gap "oop north" - we will have a very occasional winter green in the worst of the weather, and we'll always be off our tees.

I shall have to stop moaning about our greenkeeping given that they obviously keep our course running all year round.
I don't think you can credit your greenkeepers for living in a warmer part of the UK :LOL:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Traditionally our club had a winter handicap from Nov-March. This year, after outside pressures, they informed us that the comps would now be counting. Comp entrants dropped off a cliff, people still played but just didn't enter, and so the club have reverted back to non qualifiers and winter handicaps again..

I think this is the right decision. I've played 14 holes this morning. The course was frozen and muddy in similar amounts. Putting was a nonsense, frozen greens. I had a lovely morning, thoroughly enjoyed it but if that had counted towards amending my handicap that would be used in spring, summer etc it would be crackers. It's a chance to try things out, have fun without consequences.

(Just seen the date as well ?. Ah well)

IanMcC

Visit site
Our winter comps are non qualifiers, as we play preferred lies in the entire General Area, and rake and place in bunkers.
We have Stableford comps on a Sunday, Wednesday and Friday, however. If you win or come second in a comp, providing the field is big enough to have full prizemoney, you lose 2 stableford points for the remaining winter comps on the weekday that you won, and lose 1 point for being second.
This ensures the prizemoney is distributed a bit more evenly, and we dont just line the pockets of whoever finished the season with a favourable Handicap Index.
It seems to work well.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our winter comps are non qualifiers, as we play preferred lies in the entire General Area, and rake and place in bunkers.
We have Stableford comps on a Sunday, Wednesday and Friday, however. If you win or come second in a comp, providing the field is big enough to have full prizemoney, you lose 2 stableford points for the remaining winter comps on the weekday that you won, and lose 1 point for being second.
This ensures the prizemoney is distributed a bit more evenly, and we dont just line the pockets of whoever finished the season with a favourable Handicap Index.
It seems to work well.

Not sure if you are in England, but England Golf says:

Q: Can we continue to use Winter Handicaps outside our playing season?
A: No. From 2 November 2020 WHS will be the Handicap Index used by all golfers at all times

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
We had a yellow tee seniors qualifier last Monday, course was in reasonable condition, full greens, the winner had 40 (41 for WHS) points and I scored 37/38 for a small cut too.

We have another this coming Monday and the forecast looks good, hopefully I'll have another good day. :)

IanMcC

Visit site
Not sure if you are in England, but England Golf says:

Q: Can we continue to use Winter Handicaps outside our playing season?
A: No. From 2 November 2020 WHS will be the Handicap Index used by all golfers at all times
I don't see your point. Handicap Index is used. 95% of CH is used. The comps are non qualifiers, so what's the big deal?
My course is not in England. It's in Wales.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
Irritatingly we swap our yellow tees for blues, but they’re pretty much in the same place on most holes as the yellows would. The blues are not measured, so we can’t record for hcap purposes!

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We only play 14 hole comps from November - March with 14/18 of your handicap at the end of October. If you win a comp you are deducted 2 from your handicap and come second it is -1.