Do you want a higher or lower handicap?

YandaB

Visit site
As soon as you pre register for a round it’s no longer a “bounce” game or swindle etc etc - it’s a handicap Qualifer in exact the same way as a competition where you handicap is potentially affected and people’s attitude and the way they play will change because of that.

I can’t see many submitting pre registered rounds because it adds that extra stress that some don’t want to add in the game and just want to enjoy a round with mates
Or you do it all of the time and it's "just what you do" to the point that when it comes to a comp, you are more relaxed about it and score much better.

D

Deleted member 15344

Or you do it all of the time and it's "just what you do" to the point that when it comes to a comp, you are more relaxed about it and score much better.

Don’t expect it to ever get that way ,most of us play in swindles with gimmies , their own handicap systems and play the 4BBB beer matches at the same time - it’s something different from the single comp mentality. There will be some that will just want to play a handicap round everytime and good luck to them but I expect they will be the very small minority. People’s mentality and how they want to enjoy the game won’t change because of the new HC systems - they didn’t put supplementary cards in before so why would they change now

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think we're going to try and play 1 or 2 comps a month and add 1 or 2 supplementaries a month.
Play the rest as socials...
Around 40 qualifiers a year should keep things accurate

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I won't be submitting any non-comp rounds for handicap. When I'm having a knockabout round I don't want to be thinking about how my handicap will be affected. As you say, you want the freedom to drop a ball down somewhere, or give yourself a 6 foot gimme when you've got the hump and so on. I don't think a handicap should be based on rounds like that. It should be a reflection of how you play in competition conditions. In my opinion anyway. If you want to submit a card for your knock and then you play that knock properly, then fine I guess. I just won't be doing it.

For me that very depends on the guys I am playing with. One of them always wants to play for something so I would be happy making that round a score for handicap as well.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As soon as you pre register for a round it’s no longer a “bounce” game or swindle etc etc - it’s a handicap Qualifer in exact the same way as a competition where you handicap is potentially affected and people’s attitude and the way they play will change because of that.

I can’t see many submitting pre registered rounds because it adds that extra stress that some don’t want to add in the game and just want to enjoy a round with mates

There were 2000 general play scores submitted in Scotland last week in the first week of it being live.

I think there are a lot of players out there that want to use it. Like Imurg says give people the option to play up to 40 qualifiers as an example if they want and their club don't have as many competitions on.

D

Deleted member 15344

There were 2000 general play scores submitted in Scotland last week in the first week of it being live.

I think there are a lot of players out there that want to use it. Like Imurg says give people the option to play up to 40 qualifiers as an example if they want and their club don't have as many competitions on.

But the option to do that has always been there - anyone bar a cat 1 player at the time could enter a supplementary card in the same way they are doing now so why the sudden desire ? Is it because it seems new ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

or lots of former Cat1 golfers with a new much lower handicap than before want to get rid of a few of there good scores that are 19th and 20 scores:LOL:

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But the option to do that has always been there - anyone bar a cat 1 player at the time could enter a supplementary card in the same way they are doing now so why the sudden desire ? Is it because it seems new ?

Possibly or maybe the fact that some clubs didn't advertise well enough how to register supplementary rounds. I know I never knew how to at my club.

Or maybe as Patrick's says people want to get score off their 20 either for good or bad reasons.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
or lots of former Cat1 golfers with a new much lower handicap than before want to get rid of a few of there good scores that are 19th and 20 scores:LOL:

Pre WHS we had several Cat 1s asking if they could submit SSs probably for that reason. Although we have quite a few that only play 'major' comps so very few recent scores on their records.

Most will probably not get much of a chance post lockdown this winter as we have 3 greens that frequently go to temps. I wanted to do one myself on the Wednesday before lockdown but could not for that reason. (My 20th score is incorrectly recorded as a really good round, showing for the wrong course).

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I disagree, I think allowing extra score when players want is a good thing. It allows people to play to have an effect on their Handicap all year round.

I think it's still competitive, because you are competing against your previous scores, if you know that a 76 is coming off you'll feel the pressure to try and beat that otherwise your Handicap is going up.

Allowing for players to put in scores all year means that people will get more out of their membership, not just having to wait for comps to start to improve your Handicap. Next year for me will be difficult to get comps in with baby number two due end of march, but if I can get some scores in before then while I'm playing through the winter then that would be great for me.

I accept it might add enjoyment for certain people however in terms of the basic reason for a handicap being a way of allowing all golfers to compete in the same competition, I think there are flaws.

And whether you know you need to match a 76 or not, it's still not the same pressure as playing in a competition, knowing you could beat 100 other players with a decent final couple of holes. It's the reason Rory McIlroy won 4 or 5 tournaments last year, yet didn't get a sniff of a major. Pressure.

I am in a similar position with kids and limited competition days - but I can still play 1 or 2 a month with a bit of forward planning. As I said, I'd much rather my handicap reflected my competition ability rather than my 'Sunday morning off the yellows' ability.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
So can anyone submit supplementary scores ? Ie. No handicap restriction

Also, what happens in situations when a course is set up really hard , ie, tough pins, fast greens so css would ordinarily have been 2 or 3 over par for the competition for handicapping. Does WHS adjust that round for your top 20 score ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So can anyone submit supplementary scores ? Ie. No handicap restriction
No restriction
Also, what happens in situations when a course is set up really hard , ie, tough pins, fast greens so css would ordinarily have been 2 or 3 over par for the competition for handicapping. Does WHS adjust that round for your top 20 score ?
There is no CSS now. Any adjustment made to the Playing Conditions Calculation will depend on what happens any other 'supplementary' or competition rounds on that day.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I accept it might add enjoyment for certain people however in terms of the basic reason for a handicap being a way of allowing all golfers to compete in the same competition, I think there are flaws.

And whether you know you need to match a 76 or not, it's still not the same pressure as playing in a competition, knowing you could beat 100 other players with a decent final couple of holes. It's the reason Rory McIlroy won 4 or 5 tournaments last year, yet didn't get a sniff of a major. Pressure.

I am in a similar position with kids and limited competition days - but I can still play 1 or 2 a month with a bit of forward planning. As I said, I'd much rather my handicap reflected my competition ability rather than my 'Sunday morning off the yellows' ability.

I suppose it all depends what individuals look to get out of competitions and the like. Personally I couldn't care how I'm doing in them, I'm looking to play my best and get a cut. Now if that means I play well and win or come second but its not my main thought and other people playing well or not on the same day doesn't even enter my head because there is nothing I can do about it.

But going out and saying that this weekend I need to go out and shoot X number to rep lace my high counting number to get a cut or not sounds like fun to me. The challenge of golf is always you against the course unless it's matchplay of course. So being able to choose when I do that instead of having to wait until the club decide the run a comp is even better. That's where the pressure for me is, under Congu once you knew you'd missed buffer or no chance of getting it there was the option to give up easily.

This is the benefit in my eyes of the WHS it allows player to play as much as they want and get in as many possible scores as they want.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is one of the reasons we used to get at the players who did it. There scores could well have been buffer zone.
They could have but they should have been included as outside the buffer to have an affect on the CSS.
Time and again, I would get a score in and then look to see 5 or 6 people clear and then the rest +2 to par and another 1/3 worse and the CSS staying at level par .. so the method of calculating CSS was only helping to inflate handicaps.
There are courses where CSS changes little and the benefits of a big cut just didn’t happen. In this regard WHS could be better as it’s irrelevant and the worst score is the target.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As I see it all you have to do is match your worst of the best 8 scores when that drops out you replace it.
Unless one of your better scores of your best 8 is the 20th on your list. Then you have to match that to maintain your handicap, as no matter what you score in your next round, the 20th will be gone.
In my case 4 of my best 8 are 17-20, so I may have a hard time preventing my handicap going up once we get back playing again.