Do you want a higher or lower handicap?

evemccc

Visit site
Lots of talk generally amongst golfers of those in their clubs who are bandits, and those who protect their artificially high handicap

Yet I’ve also heard stories of those who NR in comps when they’re playing awfully and will definitely be out of their buffer zone

Do you think most golfers want as low a handicap as possible, or don’t actively care / try to lower it, as they know it’ll give them a better chance in club and open comps?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
something competitive would be my answer. Low enough that the standard of golf is reasonably good most of the time, but high enough to be able to compete in competition.

I think the best place to be is somewhere between 6 and 10

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
For myself, my regular pp, pretty much everyone else I've ever played with the target is to get as low as possible. I've yet to meet someone who wants to go higher in order to win comps, thankfully. I've no doubt they are out there, I just don't come across them.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd like to be lower by a few shots, and if at a stretch to a 9 for at least one day to make it to single figures.

I've got to admit when playing a comp I'm aiming to go as low as possible and try to win it, i know I have a sense of purpose playing the round or if it's not going well trying to get back into buffer. I won a monthly medal this year but as with last year I've no idea what I've won - think it went on my pro shop account so I probably got the benefit when I bought new wedges.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Now we have WHS I feel a little more comfortable, challenged but also achievable.

Now I don’t worry or enjoy cuts as much as it’s not tied directly to the score on the day. I play more for the moment, the round and the day.

There is no buffer in the round now so nothing to protect, the buffer is rounds already played and done so more reason to take a risk and have fun a different way.

evemccc

Visit site
I asked this as I personally want as low as possible, but obvs that’s dependent on talent + time and money to invest in my game and equipment

I had thought ‘everyone’ would want this also. But I was just a bit surprised when I came across a few who don’t think the same..

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Lots of talk generally amongst golfers of those in their clubs who are bandits, and those who protect their artificially high handicap

Yet I’ve also heard stories of those who NR in comps when they’re playing awfully and will definitely be out of their buffer zone

Do you think most golfers want as low a handicap as possible, or don’t actively care / try to lower it, as they know it’ll give them a better chance in club and open comps?
I'd like to believe the majority are trying to improve and ultimately lower it.
I recall reading on here - you meet someone and the conversation reaches golf, generally the question is "what's your handicap", not how many pro shop vouchers did you win via a contrived competition.

Note though, your NR scenario doesn't protect your handicap, it's probably more about not playing acceptable/qualifying rounds to keep it low.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Re the para in bold...That, imo, has nothing to do with banditry or even competitiveness. Their action will have zero effect on their handicap (at least in the old system, and likely little effect in the Slope system) as it will simply be one of 'the other 12 most recent scores' until it drops off.

Most golfers want to 'enjoy' their golf. Just what emphasis each golfer applies to the many aspects of golf varies hugely, very often reflecting the golfer's own personality! That's often why playing golf with a person of interest is often used as a sort of job interview/assessment!

Golfnut1957

Visit site
For myself, my regular pp, pretty much everyone else I've ever played with the target is to get as low as possible. I've yet to meet someone who wants to go higher in order to win comps, thankfully. I've no doubt they are out there, I just don't come across them.
Exactly the same in my golfing world, however while I continue to try I do believe that I have peaked.

Last year I played in the Capt's day stableford with my mate and a stranger, my mate was marking the other guys card. He played well and I played my usual game of guess the handicap and had him down for a 6 or 7, I didn't ask.
After the round I was having a beer with my friend and asked him, 15 he replied which surprised me. Later on I looked on Master Scoreboard and sure enough he had played 3 comps that year getting 0.1 back each time taking him from 15.2 to 15.5. Not only that but a few weeks after the Capt's day I was looking at the booking for our most popular comp, the Mid week Stableford, and there he was playing late on in a fourball one of which was a lady member which meant he wasn't playing the comp.

It turns out he and his partner do very well in fourball matchplay comps, reaching two finals last year and are quite "competitive" when it comes to open competitions at other clubs.

evemccc

Visit site
Re the para in bold...That, imo, has nothing to do with banditry or even competitiveness. Their action will have zero effect on their handicap (at least in the old system, and likely little effect in the Slope system) as it will simply be one of 'the other 12 most recent scores' until it drops off.

Most golfers want to 'enjoy' their golf. Just what emphasis each golfer applies to the many aspects of golf varies hugely, very often reflecting the golfer's own personality! That's often why playing golf with a person of interest is often used as a sort of job interview/assessment!

Yes, I know. It is the contrary to banditry. They are protecting their low handicap, or stopping it go higher after scoring badly in a comp, by NRing

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes, I know. It is the contrary to banditry. They are protecting their low handicap, or stopping it go higher after scoring badly in a comp, by NRing
Well, as I posted, they certainly weren't in the old system! And there is only a marginal, if any, effect in the new one!
Please explain how you think they were/will be protecting their low handicap.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Lots at my club.

I want to get as low as possible, but it is annoying knowing that you are far less likely to win with that.

D

Deleted member 21258

I couldn't really careless about my handicap it is what it is.

I would just like to hit the ball solid each time I play.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Low as possible, even it means I can't win. It's a measure of progress. I've only had one qualifying round with a "no shot" hole, one glorious round where I had to play SI18 on an equal footing with all the good golfers, then I got 0.1 back and returned to 18.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Every time I play I try my best to score as low as I can.
If that gives me a lower or higher handicap then the number will be what the number will be.
I'd like it to be as low as possible but I'm fully aware of the effort involved in keeping a really low one low.