• PGA national

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Derby

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My dad was a huge smoker and so was my mum but even as an only child I never have and never would . HID is the same. Never has and never will. I have a load of mates at the pub in the darts team and drinking buddies who all smoke and I have no real problem with it. Its their lifestyle choice same as it was for me when I was on 40+ pints per weeks.

Funny enough most of my golfing partners bar 2 don't smoke but again I have no issue with players doing so on the way round or outside on the patio back at the 19th

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
And why should my taxes \ NI be used via the NHS to pay for somebody to be given help to stop when it's self inflicted and totally voluntary?

Um, hello!

Sorry, but this argument falls on every level.
Your taxes DO NOT pay for smokers and their illness.
My taxes (as a smoker) pay the government close on £10bn a year. The cost to the NHS is estimated at under £2bn.

That's £8bn non-smokers would have to top up to redress the balance.

That's why the government doesn't ban it!!!

I smoke, do I enjoy it?...yes and no.
Would I prefer not to?... yes.
Would I support rising the age again and again or making it less and less attractive....yes.

I support smokers rights and non-smokers rights. I smoke outside and have done so for 20 years. a) it keeps the "inside" environments" smoke-free and b) it keep me down to a minimum.....usually under 8 a day.

It is a horrible habit, and one I'd never inflict on another person (hence my SUPPORT of a campaign to make smoking in private cars with children ILLEGAL).

I got a boll***** from a do-gooder just today for smoking on the external wall of a municipal building/s, I'd walked off a no-smoking site and still got grief!!!! I offered to cross the road and still the tirade continued.....

you get my drift......

Is now not the time to let smokers who abide by the law live in peace, and yes, this includes smoking on the golf course, which I do AFTER asking????

Non-smokers should be laughing at us weak-willed and afflicted addicts. Imagine the premium hike in insurance/pension policies if nobody died 10 years prematurely through tobacco.

PS, I gave up binge drinking years ago.....I personally find alcohol-induced anti-social behaviour far more obnoxious than someone who likes a puff away from anyone who could possibly complain.

Sorry Andy, my rant is clearly not a you.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Disgusting and should be banned ASAP.

And why should my taxes \ NI be used via the NHS to pay for somebody to be given help to stop when it's self inflicted and totally voluntary?

My G/F has asthma and has to pay for her inhalers via prescriptions which infuriates me.

NHS is a case of the tail wagging the dog in my eyes.

Andy

Andy if you dont like smokers or smoking then thats fair enough, but banging on about NHS and self inflicted is wrong. You could bang on in the same way about everyone who finds themselves in Hospital for Driving like a nutter and crashing, thats self inflicted, as are drink related illness/accidents and many others, the vast majority of self inflicted injuries and illness in no way deliver the same ammount in TAX revenue that smokers do, the tax complaint should be leveled at the government who distribute the taxes not the smokers whos tax alone would almost cover 2/3 the annual NHS budget. Its a nonsense argument and is just an example of the simplistic way people can be made to believe anything with the right kind of hysteria and misguided belief. You complain about your taxes being used on smokers, well if smoking stopped tomorrow along with the tax revenue, you as a tax payer would likely be paying MORE tax not less to cover tax shortfall. :D

My overall view on smoking is this: Anyone who feels smoking so important to trample on others rights, chase down smokers and condem them every waking moment are never going to be people who will ever have time to see the bigger picture, the biggest problems and biggest issues facing us mere mortals on this planet earth, there are far more damaging or potentially damaging issues facing everyone that the smoking arguments are way down on the list as far as Im concerned, some people get very very chirpy when smoking is mentioned but say very little else in my view Im sorry to say. Live and let live is a phrase used by many, but who actually believes in that statement or follows its message?, perhaps it should be changed to 'Only if it suits me'. I smoke, Ive always been a private smoker or smoked in the open, people who have known me for years have been surprised discovering that I smoke, obviously their noses must be blocked if we smell so much, I think the smell comes from HOW, WHERE AND WHAT you smoke, not smoking as a whole.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
This was always going to be a polarised debate.

I respect your right not to have smoke and ash blown in your face, even if I'm out on the course, I'll stand downwind. But please respect my right to do something that is not illegal. Live and let live.

The others have said enough about arses in cars, the idiots and their drinking and subsequent behaviour. I don't need to add any more.

There is no argument here if everyone thinks reasonably about it.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am a smoker who has quit a few times but I enjoy a cigarette every now and again and smoke less than I used to.

I agree with the comments above and am fed up with being victimised. I follow every law on smoking, have never smoked in a restaurant and even smoke outside at home so I think that I am responsible when it comes to my habit so think people should just leave me alone. If the government were serious about ending smoking then simply ban it rather than keeping up the under hand and two faced campaign of ostracising smokers whilst happily pocketing the tax.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I quit over 20 years ago now - used to be a huge smoker, mostly duty frees. Got to the point where I couldn't smoke indoors, son was/is asthmatic, and with a long winter leave I wasn't going to spend it in the garden, so I quit cold.
(Entirely selfish reason to quit but they are the ONLY reasons that work.)

Took months to recover even the semblance of taste and smell - then I realised just how bl**dy awful smelling smokers can be. Really got to hate people smoking in restaurants, walked out of a few, and rarely ever went into a pub.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
We got the Father in Law some nicorette patches for christmas, I hadnt seen him using them so asked how he was getting on with them. Terrible he said, they dont light properly :D

I must admit, sometimes I wish I still did, usually after a few pints, but I am glad I don't. I smell the lads in work and think jesus, I am glad I dont do that anymore.

A bit like Dave (RGUK) I actually support Smokers and Non smokers. I chose to quit, I dont want to be subject to it passivley. Dont get me wrong, I am not bothered by anyone smoking in my presence, I just hope they respect my fresh air and do enough to keep it clean

I also remember what it was like to smoke and think if people want to smoke, they should have the right and carry on. Just remember those who dont!

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll bang on about what I want I like HNJ, if you dont like it you know what to do!

This argument will continue for ever if allowed, but whats the point. A question was asked and I gave my point like you did.

Andy