Do you find par 3s, par 4s or par 5s easiest?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Par fives are generally the easiest but at my course they're some of the harder holes as they're all over 500 yards long with some magnetic hazards.

We had our stroke indexes redone based on results posted in comps over a number of months and the par fives ar as follows:
1st, 582 yards, SI 3
7th, 547 yards, SI 6
14th, 515 yards, SI 12
18th, 549 yards, SI 4

Overall on my course I'd say the par fours are my best.

It's been on another thread recently, but why do clubs ignore the CONGU recommendations on SI allocation. If I was in a matchplay and getting 4 shots, I would be peed off if I lost the match and never got my 4th shot.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
It's been on another thread recently, but why do clubs ignore the CONGU recommendations on SI allocation. If I was in a matchplay and getting 4 shots, I would be peed off if I lost the match and never got my 4th shot.

Fear not rosecott, we use two sets of indexes, those mentioned above are used for strokeplay and the original CONGU ones are used for matchplay, these indexes are:
1st = 9
7th = 17
14th = 16
18th = 10

Apparently some memebrs were complaining that some indexes didn't reflect the hole's difficulty, while CONGU state that it's not necessary that they should, the decision was still made to go to the two sets.
A pointless move in my opinion as in stroke play your shots are allocated over your 18 hole total, what you lose on one hole you'll gain on another.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
for some reason around my current track the par 3's have got into my head and im really struggling with them. its weird as none are any more than a 6i, in order 9i, 8i, 7i, 6i, 9i, but for some reason i drop most of my shots on these silly little holes, with a club move on the card this may well change, but the weekend just gone we played a different course and on 4 par 3s (all 7 or 8i's off teh winter tee's) i think i went bogey par par bogey, which i think is poor given that they were not that long, i was happy with the bogey on the last one, but im missing to many greens from within 150-175 yards and this needs to be worked on.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We've got 4 par 4's that are really tough to hit, and that screws my average for the par 4's as a whole. I'm slightly better for the par 3's than 5's though.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
For me this is a hard one to answer. Basically as my swing has improved and gained distance and course is now shorter. So can't really say any par is more difficult than another.

Even last season on full length course I would have had issues on each type if they were long. I couldn't hit our SI 1+2+5 as they are long par 4s that I couldn't reach even with driver 3 wood. We have a 212 yd par 3 that needs driver so again hard to hit the green. Another par 3 is 180yds with alot of hazards. And Our second hole is 540 par 5 which I used to keep thinking I need to hit a good 3 wood to give myself a chance to have a easier hit iron to the green.

DappaDonDave

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The 17th at blackpool Stanley park is my fave, it's drivable in one and is a par 4 surrounded by bunkers. If you're brave you drive it. If your sensible you lay up...

Driving is more fun!

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
The 17th at blackpool Stanley park is my fave, it's drivable in one and is a par 4 surrounded by bunkers. If you're brave you drive it. If your sensible you lay up...

Driving is more fun!

Last time i played there i drove to 8 ft and walked off with a par :(

Don't think that putter lasted much longer!!

fat-tiger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
any hole what doglegs right to left does me in, can gay fade all day ,but carnt turn it other way when i want to

keef

Assistant Pro
Visit site
depends on the course. I have found on my travels that 5,s are generally easier but at my course one of the 5,s is hard, most of the threes are easy but there are 4 par 4,s, index 1 to 4 that only single figure handicappers can par on a regular basis.

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
On my home course there are just 2 par 5's (par 70) and I tend to play for a par on these and am getting to the point where I get one more regularly than not.

Par 4's are where I get most of my birdies but we have a real mixture of reachable and lenghty ones so its far more varied outcome for me.

All of our four par 3's are tricky either in length (one is 246 yards off the yellows) , hazards or greens - the shorter ones are 154 - 178 yards and 3 all have fairly difficult tiers / slopes. I have birdied all of them at times but am more likely to come off with a double than a birdie and more likely to come off with a bogie than a par so these can make or break your round.

On another local course ther are now 2 par 5's that were par 4's when I played there regularly. Now even I can reach these in 2 and have provided me with eagles / eagle opportunities so on that course I would go with the par 5's every time :)

EIW1219

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Unless you can drive a shorter par 4 :)

on the other hand it you won't like par 4's if you play the 5th at Camberley!

Last edited:

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i find my worst scores over par comes from par 3s as there is no room for error. i seem to do better from par 5s not beacuse im a big hitter infact far from it just beacuse i have a bit more room for error. par 4s im very hit and miss one hole on my course im dissapointed if i dont par everytime yet others im delighted with a par

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Par 5s are drfinately easier at our place, followed by 4s then 3s. I've had shorter second shots to our par 5 15th than tee shots on two of our par 3s