Do you do this (and if so, WHY?!)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Marking a single card for another player, no. gross score recorded only.

Casual round with lots of players then yes, saves using more than one card and as the most experienced golfer of the group it makes sense I keep score.

In those rounds I always put the points in the top right and never same size as gross score.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
There's no way a club can DQ a player for the shoddy way his marker has entered the score! They can take other action, such as banning the marker from entering a subsequent comp if, after education, they don't change.

Before doing so, they should publish a sample card filled out properly - even providing the sample to all players.

Having been a Competitions Sec - before PSI systems made life easier, I can empathise with the OP's 'problem'. But education is the way to solve it, not disqualification.

They can DQ if the score is wrong & the player has signed for it.

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
learnergolfer.wordpress.com
The nett/points score box can only hold one result (either for an individual or team result) so it has limited usefulness when I'm marking for the group (looks like that card can't even be used for a 4-ball

Not shown in my pic is a fourth column named 'Marker's Score' so that would cover a fourball.

But in a club competition would a marker ever mark a card for more than one player? We have only one competition where that would happen, which is our mixed triangle*, but other than that it's always a 1-to-1 relationship.

* Edit: But even that 1-to-2 relationship is pretty much still a 1-to-1 because the two players being marked are a team.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do it like that as well. I think it's force of habit from our friendly rounds where whoever is marking the card is doing so for all three or four players, so you have to do it that way as there isn't a points column for each. Then you just forget there is an actual column for it when you're in a comp.

I do write the points number smaller though, so instead of looking like 52 it looks more like 5² - so I think the gross score is a little clearer. Obviously you don't even need to write the points down at all, but it's handy when people want to know their points total before handing the cards in.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not shown in my pic is a fourth column named 'Marker's Score' so that would cover a fourball.

But in a club competition would a marker ever mark a card for more than one player? We have only one competition where that would happen, which is our mixed triangle*, but other than that it's always a 1-to-1 relationship.

* Edit: But even that 1-to-2 relationship is pretty much still a 1-to-1 because the two players being marked are a team.

If I was marking for someone in a club singles comp then I wouldn't mark it like that, but for social golf I would and I play more social/roll up golf than comps, so it gets habit forming... unless maybe the club has different scorecards for social golf, but I doubt it

The card in the pic looks designed primarily for comp golf so its maybe a bit limited/one-dimensional

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Several of the seniors in our club, including myself, have marked cards like that where there are more than two playing together.
In fact, it is so ingrained that there are one or two players who would create like billyoh if you tried to get them to record only the gross.
Which would be what you would have to do if there were a three or four ball playing together?
In our club, the winter is dominated by team games, scrambles, "cricket", etc where 1 marker per four players is the norm. So those games lend themselves to that type of marking.
Personally I have let it be known that the best way now, to mark a stableford, (with computer input at the end of the round being required, normally, ) is to input just the gross. Talk about falling on stony ground!
One or two members are obsessed by knowing their points etc , so educating them is like trying to educate me to read music?
Maybe the WHS is an opportunity to do so, with Clubs and H Cap secs insisting on cards recording grosses only.
To help that , I suggest that cards are revamped so that only grosses can be recorded! Bit of a sea change, but why not? Comments?
Anyone desperate to know their stablford totals can use their own card, phone, watch etc.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I do it like that as well. I think it's force of habit from our friendly rounds where whoever is marking the card is doing so for all three or four players, so you have to do it that way as there isn't a points column for each. Then you just forget there is an actual column for it when you're in a comp.

I do write the points number smaller though, so instead of looking like 52 it looks more like 5² - so I think the gross score is a little clearer. Obviously you don't even need to write the points down at all, but it's handy when people want to know their points total before handing the cards in.

I am similar to this only I do use the points box when marking a proper card for a comp.

I am often the marker when playing social games and do the big number small number thing for gross and points.

Pet hate of mine is messy cards. My marking is usually pretty clear.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Not knowing your score at all times makes it impossible to course manage - you need to know if or when you need to push or whether you can consolidate somewhat. As a general rule, I’ll remember every score from every hole and definitely my Stableford score at any given point in the round. Don’t need to write it down!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not knowing your score at all times makes it impossible to course manage - you need to know if or when you need to push or whether you can consolidate somewhat. As a general rule, I’ll remember every score from every hole and definitely my Stableford score at any given point in the round. Don’t need to write it down!
My Hole19 app tots up the Stableford score as a go along to be fair, so I know how well (badly) I'm doing from that. (y)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But wouldn’t you already know without checking?
I'm not a savant so no. :LOL: I mean I'd know if I'd done well or badly, just about, but not the exact number. I don't think it's healthy to be obsessing over the score anyway, I just play each hole as it comes.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
When I said in previous post that the card in the OP might be limited etc, its the layout/format I remember seeing forever (quite traditional if i can call it that)

Cards that i think make better use of the space are like this:
20200224_133129_resized.jpg

The card is not physically bigger but with a different layout every player in the 4-ball gets two boxes per hole to record both the score and result for each of them. So it suits pretty much every style/format from a singles comp with just one name and a gross score all the way through various multi-player comps & social golf formats up to 4-ball better ball etc

The card itself is much more flexible in its uses and no one is even tempted to write 41, 52 etc into a single box

Not judging but I wonder if the club looked at the card design before DQ'ing etc

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
When I said in previous post that the card in the OP might be limited etc, its the layout/format I remember seeing forever (quite traditional if i can call it that)

Cards that i think make better use of the space are like this:
View attachment 29247

The card is not physically bigger but with a different layout every player in the 4-ball gets two boxes per hole to record both the score and result for each of them. So it suits pretty much every style/format from a singles comp with just one name and a gross score all the way through various multi-player comps & social golf formats up to 4-ball better ball etc

The card itself is much more flexible in its uses and no one is even tempted to write 41, 52 etc into a single box

Not judging but I wonder if the club looked at the card design before DQ'ing etc
We don't own the venue, so we have no say in the design of the scorecards available.

That example scorecard looks nice though, but I've little faith that the stick-in-the-muds would even notice! :-D

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
We don't own the venuw, so we have no say in the design of the scorecards available.

That example scorecard looks nice though, but I've little faith that the stick-in-the-muds would even notice! :-D

Yeah there's always that obstacle (y)

I was doing handicaps etc for a couple of years and there's a old but still commonly used format in SA for 'ringing' your score if you've blobbed the hole in stableford and it was very tough to get those guys to drop it & just 'X' it

edit, i should add it that's not my scores on that card :oops:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have never marked a card for one other player in the manner show in the card in the OP - and I don't recall anyone ever marking one of mine in that way. I always use the columns on the card as designated.

Different matter if one player of a group is marking one card for all - but that would generally only happen in social golf so changes easily and uncontroversially sorted as the card wouldn't go for end of comp checking by comp sec. or comp organiser for a comp where the marker would not be present.

But I don't actually see anything wrong in marking a card as in the OPs card.

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
There's no way a club can DQ a player for the shoddy way his marker has entered the score!

The ultimate responsibility for the legibility and accuracy of the card lies with the player, not the marker. We encourage our members to fill in a replacement card prior to submitting if they feel the card isn't clear (which can be due to the marker, but can also be due to the weather). The player is quite within their rights to ask their marker to change how they're filling in their card.

As for the DQ-ing itself, we checked with the R&A, and they confirmed that this is a valid course of action we can take (as a club rule).

Before doing so, they should publish a sample card filled out properly - even providing the sample to all players

Done that! :)

Having been a Competitions Sec - before PSI systems made life easier, I can empathise with the OP's 'problem'. But education is the way to solve it, not disqualification.

Again, done that...so many times! We done it on WhatsApp (multiple times), by email (multiple times), and it's on our website. When doing so we've warned them about the potential DQ sanction, so it's not been a surprise to anyone when it's happened (which isn't often, to be fair - and we do cut some slack to new members).