Do you bother with a 60 degree wedge?

chris3081

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Went to hit a few wedges to see if its worth replacing mine after 3 years. The difference in spin is unbelievable. Much more fun and spin to a stop on the second bounce.

Currently play 50/56. The 60 i played with was the most fun and seemed to stop fastest.

Is it worth carrying the extra wedge?

What is the highest wedge you play?

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I do carry a 60 degree. Useful for some bunker shots and also for playing into the green when there is a hazard/bunker in the way. Allows a high, quick stopping shot without having to lay the face open.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
got a 60, but never carried it TBH. Always had 50/6 and 56/10 wedges until last year when they needed changing. went for 52/10 and 58/14. changed my swing slightly so now hitting down on the ball more and the extra bounce helped that. also 56 wasn't quite enough for about 3 of the deep pot bunkers at my club. 58 is more than enough tbh

D

Deleted member 18121

I have a 58 which is my go to for bunkers and flop shots....I then have a 52 and 48 wedge before I get to my PW.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I use a full wedge set 50/55/60 the 50 and 55 get the most use but for high bunkers and close pins the 60 is my go to, doesn't run out so much

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I did have one but stopped using it as it cost me more shots then I gained from it.

Although now I have 50/54/58 I very rarely use the 58.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a crappy Dunlop DDH 60° in the bag, I was given it for free by someone who found it. I literally just use it to get out of bunkers, since the bunkers at our place are not the best, so the extra loft makes it easier. I almost never use it outside of bunkers, so I wouldn't spend much money on one.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
58° in my bag and with a 52° I end up manipulating the club face to do different shots.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
No 60* for me -mine's a 64* Callaway Sureout which I use for bunkers and the occasional flop shot.

I also carry a 50 and 56 degree gap wedges as well as a pitching wedge - you cant have too many wedges!!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I can play every variety of shot that I want to play with my 56. I have had 58s, 60s, and 64s before. I do not miss them at all.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sure, I've got a Palm Springs 60 deg cost me a tenner years ago. Balls used to flip up and brake on contact with the ground. Not so much any more, brake that is. Wouldn't swap it for anything. I've also got a 64 deg magic wand as well. Every golfer should have one in the summer. Most useful. Bin 'em in the winter though.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can play every variety of shot that I want to play with my 56. I have had 58s, 60s, and 64s before. I do not miss them at all.

Good answer...….4 wedges would send what's left of my brain into overdrive.

In the 'old days' I would carry 1.3.4.woods and 2,3,4 irons.

Do you think folk are beginning to lose the ability to adapt a club to a different shot.
I used to be able to play a mean, under the wind, pitch with an 8 iron and use a 4 iron as a jigger from the fringes.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
no 60* in my bag - I'd have to get rid of my 3i or 4i to fit it in. And I love hitting a good 3i or 4i - no matter how rarely I might use them. I can't think of many times I've been stood there with my 56* in hand wishing I had a 60*.

That said - if I purchase new irons in the coming couple of months (planned) I might not bother with a 3i or a 4i and go instead for a 60*. I'll see what my pro says.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a 60°. Hugely useful if you play at a parkland course in particular. Right behind a bunker and you want it to just go over or go high and land soft. Perfect. May only use it twice a round but for those 2 occasions it is ideal.

Yes, I could manipulate another club but you could use that argument for any club. Don't carry a seven, close the face of an 8. It's a daft argument. Carrying a 60 means if you want to play that particular type of shot then you can do with freedom. Less useful on a links course, particularly a bone hard one.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Love my 60

Great for pins at front of the greens when you need to carry it on due to danger in front of green

I really need to start using it more in our bad bunkers.
Too often I get out my 56 SW with lots of bounce, and hit what I think is a good bunker shot and it just bounces into the ball and skulls it through the green.
Haven't really thought about using my 60 which will be much better at cutting through the sand when it is rock hard and compact

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good answer...….4 wedges would send what's left of my brain into overdrive.

In the 'old days' I would carry 1.3.4.woods and 2,3,4 irons.

Do you think folk are beginning to lose the ability to adapt a club to a different shot.
I used to be able to play a mean, under the wind, pitch with an 8 iron and use a 4 iron as a jigger from the fringes.

I would say that a reasonable amateur now has a greater range of short shots than before although some due to variation in clubs. Maybe slightly different but I don't think the flop shots were so common, nor hybrids out the fringe. Chip and runs etc still a regular for me alongside those different shots.