Do you bother with a 60 degree wedge?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because 60 degree wedges were originally intended to be used by highly skilled players and have a narrow margin of error.

Better to develop skills with something like a 56 degree which is generally more forgiving.

After all you seem to be happy to use hybrids which, I am told, are more forgiving
Not necessarily. I've actually found hybrids less consistent personally, and I'm still on the look-out for one that works for me.

The point is, the answer isn't going to be one blanket one for everybody. It's great that we have so many options these days of what to stick in the bag, so every individual can go with what works for him/her. Some people may find a 60° to be a thinning machine, whereas others will find it the easiest thing in the world to lift the ball near the pin. Horses for courses.

To say that 60° wedges are only for skilled players, or that hybrids are just for high handicappers because they can't hit an iron, is incorrect.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
... or that hybrids are just for high handicappers because they can't hit an iron, is incorrect.

Just for the less skilled, which is why Faldo said he has one in his bag, during 1 particular interview!

I have a 60º wedge, but have been using it less and less. My gap wedge is a 50º and sand a 54º, but in recent conditions i've been hitting lots of 7/8/9i chips in. That said, greens yesterday were as receptive as I've seen for a long time 3/4 times had my ball within 2ft of my pitchmark - that's not happened for a long time!

Overall, would I lose the 60º wedge? Probably not. Does it come out in a round very often? No. Would i miss it when it wasn't there? Almost certainly!

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Try it. Changing from a 60 to 58 was more successful for me. I didn't do it on purpose, therefore rather accidentally came to this conclusion (change as I moved to 50/54....therefore the 58 was a better fit with those 2).

I made more mistakes with the 60 than I do now with the 58. My ball striking improved and accounts for some of that, but I'm convinced that the 58 is a little easier. Does it matter if it's not? If I believe it does then that helps enormously.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have 3 different 60 wedges. They have different traits that relate to the confidence they give me for different shots/uses. Technically these no doubt result from the sole grind, bounce, overall head shape, shaft, head material as well as memories of past experiences still embedded in my subconscious....

But they are all 60 degrees.

I highlight this because I don't believe that the actual difference between any of these and any partucular 58 is really about the 2 degrees difference!

Biggest problem for most handicap golfer is that they only grab their 60 when nothing else will do (in their view) which generally means the shot is tough and has a large downside for failure. Not situations that tend to bring out people's smooth, positive swings...

If you want to get the best out of such clubs start by practicing the situations you want to be able to use it for - including the inclusion of significant downsides! A good one in the garden is to pitch over a greenhouse 🤔

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a 60 deg.

I generally use it for getting out of a deep bunker but I do play a flop shot. I would only really do this from a fluffy lie and also probably only in matchplay / fourball format. Unlike a lot of shots, I am confident that I can play the shot and enjoy it - albeit it may not always be the best shot to take on.

If I was to keep track, I probably find I wouldn't use the 60 that much.

I have a 52, which I probably use most often (certainly for longer shots of 50 to 100 yards). I also have a 54 (bad planning when getting my set together as I got this prior to the 52).

I have thought about getting the 54 bent to 55 or 56 so I have a bigger gap from 52 and maybe for using more around the greens. I haven't been playing often enough to get this done, or even spoken to a pro about whether it would be worthwhile doing.

If I start playing regularly again I will really concentrate on wedges and scoring clubs far more than the long game.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I have a 60 deg.

I generally use it for getting out of a deep bunker but I do play a flop shot. I would only really do this from a fluffy lie and also probably only in matchplay / fourball format. Unlike a lot of shots, I am confident that I can play the shot and enjoy it - albeit it may not always be the best shot to take on.

If I was to keep track, I probably find I wouldn't use the 60 that much.

I have a 52, which I probably use most often (certainly for longer shots of 50 to 100 yards). I also have a 54 (bad planning when getting my set together as I got this prior to the 52).

I have thought about getting the 54 bent to 55 or 56 so I have a bigger gap from 52 and maybe for using more around the greens. I haven't been playing often enough to get this done, or even spoken to a pro about whether it would be worthwhile doing.

If I start playing regularly again I will really concentrate on wedges and scoring clubs far more than the long game.

Sell the 54 and the 60 and get a 58.
Gives you an extra club at the long end of the bag

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Dave Pelz who is a bit of a short game guru recommends having 4 or 5 wedges in the bag.
I agree with him.
None of us are right or wrong by the way.....

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Dave Pelz who is a bit of a short game guru recommends having 4 or 5 wedges in the bag.
I agree with him.
None of us are right or wrong by the way.....

Don't know if you remember what the Mizuno guy said when we had out fitting. But basically how many times do you hit a full shot with your wedges.

PW maybe a few, after that not really. They are for when you are close to the green and want to control the shot to land close and stop.

They gave me 4 wedges, 48, 52, 56 and 60 and that's exactly what happens, I occasionally use the 48 with a full swing but more often than not will choke up on a 9 and hit it easy. 52 is from 125-110 out when I can do a nice compact swing that is controlled. 56 is my go to 80-110 again like the 52, the 56 is also my preferred club for little chips and most bunker shots. Then my 60 is for 70 or less of when I have not green to work with.

I'd much rather have 4 wedges and fewer long clubs than the other way around, getting 20 yards difference of the tee with a hybrid is worth less to me than being confident when approaching the pin

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Sell the 54 and the 60 and get a 58.
Gives you an extra club at the long end of the bag

I could do, but I don't really struggle at the other end. I have Dr, 3w, 3h, 4h, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW, 52, 54, 60, Putter.

If I was playing regularly and practicing it may make sense to have 2 wedges of similar loft but one specifically for sand or rough and one for paying off tighter lies.

But I'm so far away from even working out what would be best for me and practicing enough with my existing clubs that it would currently not be worth doing.

Hopefully by the spring I can get a few lessons and work out what a plan for the best use of any limited practice time.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I've always had a 60 in the bag as I use it out of bunkers. Now gone for 4 wedges in the bag - PW, 50, 55 and 60 to allow me to fill the gaps and enable me to hack out of the various clag that I inveriably find myself in.

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
Had one in the past but very rarely used it, if I need to I'll open the face of the 56, very comfortable at judging distance with my 50 before I go to the PW.

Prefer to have the extra club at the top end of the bag, currently a 16* 1 iron hybrid.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have 3 different 60 wedges. They have different traits that relate to the confidence they give me for different shots/uses. Technically these no doubt result from the sole grind, bounce, overall head shape, shaft, head material as well as memories of past experiences still embedded in my subconscious....

But they are all 60 degrees.

I highlight this because I don't believe that the actual difference between any of these and any partucular 58 is really about the 2 degrees difference!

Biggest problem for most handicap golfer is that they only grab their 60 when nothing else will do (in their view) which generally means the shot is tough and has a large downside for failure. Not situations that tend to bring out people's smooth, positive swings...

If you want to get the best out of such clubs start by practicing the situations you want to be able to use it for - including the inclusion of significant downsides! A good one in the garden is to pitch over a greenhouse 樂
Agree here people only use them in tough shots!

Not so sure about the greenhouse unless it has plastic windows.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd much rather have 4 wedges and fewer long clubs than the other way around, getting 20 yards difference of the tee with a hybrid is worth less to me than being confident when approaching the pin

It could also mean the difference between putting for eagle and being 20 yards short of the green on a par 5.

My theory is we are not allowed more than 14 clubs so you have to either do without a wedge or a long club.
That means we have to 'manipulate' a long club or a wedge.

I find it easier to manipulate a wedge than a 3 wood.

Just my opinion of course.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't have a 60 but have a 58 as it gives me better gapping and use the 58 for pretty much every shot around the green. Feel like I can manipulate the loft and play any shot I need to. I will on occasion use a PW or a 9 for a long chip and run but I tend to prefer to fly the ball most of the way if I can as I personally find it easier to control.