Do you bother with a 60 degree wedge?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
58 for me...
Does everything I need it to
I've had 60s in the past and never been very successful with them but the 58 works...

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I've got a 60 degree wedge. Use it for bunkers and some chips around the green. Haven't had to play a genuine flop shot in years but would use it for that if needed.

Initially I took my driver out of my bag to accommodate it. Have since taken a different wedge out instead (52 degrees I think).

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a 60°. Hugely useful if you play at a parkland course in particular. Right behind a bunker and you want it to just go over or go high and land soft. Perfect. May only use it twice a round but for those 2 occasions it is ideal.

Yes, I could manipulate another club but you could use that argument for any club. Don't carry a seven, close the face of an 8. It's a daft argument. Carrying a 60 means if you want to play that particular type of shot then you can do with freedom. Less useful on a links course, particularly a bone hard one.

Is the right answer!!

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just had a fitting and like you i loved the check on the 60, 60 was top of my list when the order went in.
Highest i had before was a 57.

merv79

Head Pro
www.ferndowngolfclub.co.uk
I have a 60 degree wedge that I use on greenside bunker shots and if i need to hit over trouble and stop ball quickly.

I think the key is to have the right sole/bounce for your technique, being fit is important.

I use a Vokey S grind which has about 10 degrees of bounce, I have tried all the Vokey grind options with different results, for example K is great from bunkers but I struggled off tighter lies.

Even though the M grind has about the same amount of bounce as S, the sole shape obviously didn't suit me because I struggled with hitting the ball heavy.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
6o is a great club but you must practice with it , you have to hit it quite hard to go a certain yardage.

On my course short game is more important than length.

I have a Callaway Phil Michelson one they are awesome.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
60 s are something which have been in and out the bag for many years more often out than in simply because I know how to manipulate my other wedges to get 60 degrees of loft.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
swapped my 60 for a 58 (better gaps) and would never leave it out of the bag. Only used 2-5 times a round, but in those circumstances nothing else will do. Use in some bunker shots, short chips and when short sided as mentioned many times. It saves me and is never in the top 3 for which club I will drop to get to 14 on any day.

Valuable club when you understand what it does and more importantly doesn't do

D

Deleted member 18588

No.

Several teaching pro's have told me that, to the club golfer, they are as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

If Seve could have the short game that he did with nothing more lofted than 55 degrees why would we mere mortals need something designed to stick the ball up our nostrils.

And then only when hit perfectly.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No.

Several teaching pro's have told me that, to the club golfer, they are as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

If Seve could have the short game that he did with nothing more lofted than 55 degrees why would we mere mortals need something designed to stick the ball up our nostrils.

And then only when hit perfectly.

Errrmmmm, because he was an awful lot better than the rest of us. He could do magical things, I can't. Seve used irons, not hybrids, should we pack those in as well?

If people can use these wedges then what is the problem? Most of the grumps about these, not having a pop at you here MM, are from people who don't seem to be able to use them. That's fine but why feel the need to dismiss them for people who can?

D

Deleted member 18588

Errrmmmm, because he was an awful lot better than the rest of us. He could do magical things, I can't. Seve used irons, not hybrids, should we pack those in as well?

If people can use these wedges then what is the problem? Most of the grumps about these, not having a pop at you here MM, are from people who don't seem to be able to use them. That's fine but why feel the need to dismiss them for people who can?

I don't use hybrids either.

To my way of thinking if you can hit a 7 iron you can hit a 4 iron.

And the latter is not designed to hook the ball unlike most hybrids.

I suppose that the problem is I started playing in 1970 and find I am happier with my old habits.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I can't use one, just not got a good enough strike. Kudos to those that can, keep trying for those that carry them and think they can! ;)

I think if I could use one I'd likely spend more time finding/choosing the right one than I would on a putter

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't use hybrids either.

To my way of thinking if you can hit a 7 iron you can hit a 4 iron.

And the latter is not designed to hook the ball unlike most hybrids.

I suppose that the problem is I started playing in 1970 and find I am happier with my old habits.
Well that is just factually wrong. :lol: I'd say most handicap golfers find the longer the iron and less loft, the harder it is to hit, so at a variable point there will be a dividing line where you struggle.

I agree with Lord T above - and I think your Seve logic was backwards. You basically said if Seve can play every chip shot in the manual with his 55° wedge, then a golfer with 1% of his talent should be able to as well. How does that make any sense?

D

Deleted member 18588

Well that is just factually wrong. :lol: I'd say most handicap golfers find the longer the iron and less loft, the harder it is to hit, so at a variable point there will be a dividing line where you struggle.

I agree with Lord T above - and I think your Seve logic was backwards. You basically said if Seve can play every chip shot in the manual with his 55° wedge, then a golfer with 1% of his talent should be able to as well. How does that make any sense?

Because 60 degree wedges were originally intended to be used by highly skilled players and have a narrow margin of error.

Better to develop skills with something like a 56 degree which is generally more forgiving.

After all you seem to be happy to use hybrids which, I am told, are more forgiving