Distance measuring when practising

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yeah me too. But I'm trying to see if I can build a wedge game, using different length swings with different wedges. That could also come with time and playing, but it would take a fair old while and I reckon it's worth practising.
Have you read Dave Pelz's 'The Short Game Bible'? Plenty of ideas about how to do so. Makes a great doorstop afterwards too!

RichA

Visit site
In play, on a course, yes you can measure a shot no probs but not possible in a random practice scenario and just hitting balls, to a random point. They all use point to point GPS data and either the CT-10 sensors or the in built accelerometer type thing in the watch to record the shot position.

I totally agree, I really don’t think an amateur golfer needs a range finder to get precise measurements as the likelihood of repeating an exact shot distance is slim. “Ball park” figures are all that is needed - I’ve got the averages off the watch data, go on feel and practice using the 50, 75 and 100 yards flags at the range. Working on ball strike at the range whilst at it.
I haven't got sensors in my clubs, but the watch senses the strike.
What I mean is, stand at point A and hit 20 "identical strikes". Walk to the spot in the middle of where the balls end up and look at the "last stroke distance" on the watch and you've got your number for the shot you've just been hitting.

Boomy

Visit site
I haven't got sensors in my clubs, but the watch senses the strike.
What I mean is, stand at point A and hit 20 "identical strikes". Walk to the spot in the middle of where the balls end up and look at the "last stroke distance" on the watch and you've got your number for the shot you've just been hitting.

You can’t do that. It/they only measure a strike when set up as playing a course and recording strokes.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In play, on a course, yes you can measure a shot no probs but not possible in a random practice scenario and just hitting balls, to a random point. They all use point to point GPS data and either the CT-10 sensors or the in built accelerometer type thing in the watch to record the shot position.

It depends where your practice area is. Ours is next to the first hole so I could tell the gps I’m playing hole 1 then use the measure shot function.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
When I first started playing I did most of my practice on chipping and shots from 100 yards. I'm lucky in that I had space in the garden to hit that distance so became ok at that distance and though I don't really practice any more, as the wife has stuck raised sleeper veg beds where my target area was, but id say it's still the strongest part of my game.
You could find a space at the distance you want and just bang balls.

Boomy

Visit site
It depends where your practice area is. Ours is next to the first hole so I could tell the gps I’m playing hole 1 then use the measure shot function.

Clutching at straws a bit but hey, if it works for you. You’d only be able to measure 1 shot at a time - bit pointless walking back and forwards ??‍♂️

RichA

Visit site
You can’t do that. It/they only measure a strike when set up as playing a course and recording strokes.
Yes you can.
I only use it for distance to green and don't bother recording scores or stats, but it always tells me how far I am from where my last shot was played.

Boomy

Visit site
Yes you can.
I only use it for distance to green and don't bother recording scores or stats, but it always tells me how far I am from where my last shot was played.

Ok, show me how for practice please? (Which is the original point, not whilst playing)

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Ok, show me how for practice please? (Which is the original point, not whilst playing)

Start a round with stat tracking turned on. Hit a some shots and walk to the point you want to know the distance to, and it will tell you the distance from where you hit the shots.

Alternatively. Take note of the spots where the balls group and measure on Google maps/earth. Or if you have an iPhone, use the distance measurement app.

RichA

Visit site
No problem. I'm currently at my Dad's, 100 miles from my home course and my golf clubs.
I've just started GOLF, waited for satellites, selected my home course and told it not to keep score.
To Dad's bemusement, I've just made half a dozen empty handed practice swings on his porch before walking up to the local shop. The distances to the green didn't change, because the watch knows I'm nowhere near the first hole, but the "last shot distance" at the top of the screen measured my distance from Dad's porch, as I walked to the shop.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Clutching at straws a bit but hey, if it works for you. You’d only be able to measure 1 shot at a time - bit pointless walking back and forwards ??‍♂️

Clutching at straws? All the OP wants is to hit however many balls and measure once to the middle of them. Why would you need to walk backwards and forwards?

Boomy

Visit site
No problem. I'm currently at my Dad's, 100 miles from my home course and my golf clubs.
I've just started GOLF, waited for satellites, selected my home course and told it not to keep score.
To Dad's bemusement, I've just made half a dozen empty handed practice swings on his porch before walking up to the local shop. The distances to the green didn't change, because the watch knows I'm nowhere near the first hole, but the "last shot distance" at the top of the screen measured my distance from Dad's porch, as I walked to the shop.

So it works even when nowhere near a golf course ? On the Garmin forum it explains very clearly it only works when on a course.I know it tells you last shot distance on the S62.

Boomy

Visit site
Clutching at straws? All the OP wants is to hit however many balls and measure once to the middle of them. Why would you need to walk backwards and forwards?

It feels a complicated way of getting numbers (hence clutching at straws) You’d have to walk back and forwards doing it for all the different distances the OP talks about, it’s not just 1 club or distance.

Boomy

Visit site
Start a round with stat tracking turned on. Hit a some shots and walk to the point you want to know the distance to, and it will tell you the distance from where you hit the shots.

Alternatively. Take note of the spots where the balls group and measure on Google maps/earth. Or if you have an iPhone, use the distance measurement app.

Cheers - I’m fully aware of how to use the watch and sensors on a course… when I asked Garmin they said it only works when on a course, when recording stats and not on a practice area or range (or whatever) I asked because I was having trouble with it napping my rounds. Interesting that others seem to use it to measure anywhere.

I use the range marker distances for practice, previous knowledge (from historical distance data) and good old fashioned feel for my wedge shots (it’s by far the best part of my game… if only I could putt ?)

phillarrow

Visit site
It feels a complicated way of getting numbers (hence clutching at straws) You’d have to walk back and forwards doing it for all the different distances the OP talks about, it’s not just 1 club or distance.

I think one of us must be missing something?

In my mind, hit 20 half shots with a wedge. Walk to the rough centre of the balls (ignoring obvious bad shots) and then either laser something from my hitting area, or use a watch set to an adjacent hole, or count my paces. That will give me a yardage for that swing with that wedge.
Pick the balls up. Go back and do it again with my full swing. Then repeat for each wedge?

I wouldn't hit more than about 20 balls anyway before going to collect them.

What am I missing about this that makes it seem like an issue?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

In my mind, hit 20 half shots with a wedge. Walk to the rough centre of the balls (ignoring obvious bad shots) and then either laser something from my hitting area, or use a watch set to an adjacent hole, or count my paces. That will give me a yardage for that swing with that wedge.
Pick the balls up. Go back and do it again with my full swing. Then repeat for each wedge?

That’s exactly what you want to do.

Boomy

Visit site

Not an issue at all, just (in my humble opinion) a complicated way to do it - but if that works for you then it’s all good. It may take more than 1 go with 20 balls to get a good number though ? All good practice.

My confusion was around using the Garmin watch to measure it as I’d been told it wasn’t possible, unless on the course.