Distance measuring when practising

phillarrow

Visit site
So, I want to build a better approach game from within 115 yards.
My plan is to learn my distances with each wedge with a half swing and full swing.
The problem is, I don't trust the distances when hitting off a mat at the range, and the practice area at my club doesn't have distances or a specific hitting area, just random flags and a general green area to hit towards.

Any tips for a cheap but reliable way to measure my distances?
I'll buy a laser rangefinder if I have to, but it's rather not if there's a cheap/free alternative. ?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So, I want to build a better approach game from within 115 yards.
My plan is to learn my distances with each wedge with a half swing and full swing.
The problem is, I don't trust the distances when hitting off a mat at the range, and the practice area at my club doesn't have distances or a specific hitting area, just random flags and a general green area to hit towards.

Any tips for a cheap but reliable way to measure my distances?
I'll buy a laser rangefinder if I have to, but it's rather not if there's a cheap/free alternative. ?
It's the best way imo. There may be (probably awkward) alternatives while practicing, but lasering the pin with acquired knowledge from practice is the obvious 'best' way.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Whilst I agree a laser may be the easiest option, its not totally accurate as some guesswork will be needed to measure carry distance.

If you can walk up and collect your balls on the practice area (as you do at my club), you can probably work out average carry distance by looking where the balls end up and lasering back towards your bag or see marker fro where you hit.

The other option, more accurate in my view, is to book a gapping session with a local pro who has trackman, GC quad etc. I have done this and it's £20 or so well spent.

phillarrow

Visit site
Whilst I agree a laser may be the easiest option, its not totally accurate as some guesswork will be needed to measure carry distance.

If you can walk up and collect your balls on the practice area (as you do at my club), you can probably work out average carry distance by looking where the balls end up and lasering back towards your bag or see marker fro where you hit.

The other option, more accurate in my view, is to book a gapping session with a local pro who has trackman, GC quad etc. I have done this and it's £20 or so well spent.

I get what you're saying, but I'm talking about short approach shots (from gap wedge down) so there won't be much in the way of roll out, especially at this time of year. ?

phillarrow

Visit site
It's the best way imo. There may be (probably awkward) alternatives while practicing, but lasering the pin with acquired knowledge from practice is the obvious 'best' way.

I thought that might be the case. Oh well, a genuine excuse/reason to buy a new toy is hardly the end of the world! ??

phillarrow

Visit site
If you don't have a method of measuring the distances of your practice shots, how are you going to know how far you are from the flag when you're playing? ?

I use Shot Scope when I'm playing but - unless there's something in it I'm not aware of - it only covers courses. I'm not aware of it having a function for the practice ground?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Does shotscope have a “measure shot” function? If so, tell it you’re on whichever hole is closest to where you are and use that.

If not, pace out a known distance then use that to pace out your shots on the practice ground. For example I know that 7 of my paces is 6yds.
A laser is without doubt best if you’re looking for an excuse to get one ;)

phillarrow

Visit site
Does shotscope have a “measure shot” function? If so, tell it you’re on whichever hole is closest to where you are and use that.

If not, pace out a known distance then use that to pace out your shots on the practice ground. For example I know that 7 of my paces is 6yds.
A laser is without doubt best if you’re looking for an excuse to get one ;)

That's a good idea. I don't know to be honest but I'll have a look and give that a go if it's possible. If not, rangefinder it is. ?

RichA

Visit site
Garmin measures last shot distance, so I'm sure Shotscope does too.
Go to a practice area wearing your Shotscope watch and hit 20 balls with the same shot from the same place.
Walk to the median spot between the balls and look at your watch - that's how far you hit that shot.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I guess what my yardage is before I laser it.
It’s amazing how far out you can be one day then get every one right the next.
Try pacing out your half shots.
Then pace away from the flag on the practice ground. 50/75/90 yds
I practice 80 yds the most then if I need to lay up I deduct 80 from my total and hit to there.
There are more factors to a golf shot ,lie wind ,cold etc.
But having accurate yardage really helps.

phillarrow

Visit site
I guess what my yardage is before I laser it.
It’s amazing how far out you can be one day then get every one right the next.
Try pacing out your half shots.
Then pace away from the flag on the practice ground. 50/75/90 yds
I practice 80 yds the most then if I need to lay up I deduct 80 from my total and hit to there.
There are more factors to a golf shot ,lie wind ,cold etc.
But having accurate yardage really helps.

It was when I got my Shot Scope that I realised how bad I was at guessing the distances! ?As soon s there's any kind of rise in the ground between me and the flag, I just become bloody useless at it!

I like that idea is trying to perfect a set distance and then laying up to it... I'm just not good enough for my lay ups to be that accurate! ??

Boomy

Visit site
Garmin measures last shot distance, so I'm sure Shotscope does too.
Go to a practice area wearing your Shotscope watch and hit 20 balls with the same shot from the same place.
Walk to the median spot between the balls and look at your watch - that's how far you hit that shot.

As far as I’m aware Garmin doesn’t work like that for practice - it measures distances when playing a course and keeping score (using GPS and the sensors, and only when keeping score) Not sure about Shotscope, never used it.

Jason.H

Visit site
I bought a rangefinder for a bit more accuracy to pins on the course. I’ve worked a bit lately on wedge game. So my 52 gap is
full 100yds carry.
3/4 75yds (hands shoulder height backswing and follow through)
1/2 50yds (Hands waist height back and through)
For what it’s worth I only hit a wedge full if I need to carry to a tight pin. I nearly always 3/4 wedges and go for quality of strike.

RichA

Visit site
As far as I’m aware Garmin doesn’t work like that for practice - it measures distances when playing a course and keeping score (using GPS and the sensors, and only when keeping score) Not sure about Shotscope, never used it.
I can do it with my Venu 2.
Surely though, if playing regularly, you figure out your distances soon enough. I've only been using the GPS watch for a few months and know my "good strike" distances for each club, just from normal play.

Boomy

Visit site
Surely though, if playing regularly, you figure out your distances soon enough. I've only been using the GPS watch for a few months and know my "good strike" distances for each club, just from normal play.

In play, on a course, yes you can measure a shot no probs but not possible in a random practice scenario and just hitting balls, to a random point. They all use point to point GPS data and either the CT-10 sensors or the in built accelerometer type thing in the watch to record the shot position.

I totally agree, I really don’t think an amateur golfer needs a range finder to get precise measurements as the likelihood of repeating an exact shot distance is slim. “Ball park” figures are all that is needed - I’ve got the averages off the watch data, go on feel and practice using the 50, 75 and 100 yards flags at the range. Working on ball strike at the range whilst at it.

phillarrow

Visit site

Yeah me too. But I'm trying to see if I can build a wedge game, using different length swings with different wedges. That could also come with time and playing, but it would take a fair old while and I reckon it's worth practising.