Disqualification???

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Um am I reading that right ?

Are you saying that you should be able to enter the comp without having to pay ?
We can. On the sign in computer you confirm your entry for the competition and then optionally enter the sweep/twos. Obviously if it's a drawn comp (as opposed to a running ballot medal) you need to have your name down in advance for a tee time etc.

D

Deleted member 15344

We can. On the sign in computer you confirm your entry for the competition and then optionally enter the sweep/twos. Obviously if it's a drawn comp (as opposed to a running ballot medal) you need to have your name down in advance for a tee time etc.

So are all your comps free entry ?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The jeans rule is just daft. Last year me and a friend both turned up to play wearing jeans, he was told he couldn't play but I could, the only difference was he had dark blue jeans and I had black jeans. Both were made from denim and to be honest, his were in far better condition then mine.

Dress code needs looking at.

So you rock up in a pair of jeans, they happen to be the type that are ripped/slashed and half faded and fashionable. I presume that any kind of jeans are acceptable.

Dont get me wrong, my jeans cost much more than my golf trousers but the problem with a relaxed dress standard is there will always be someone pushing the boundaries.

Where do you draw the line or is it anything goes?

Ando2600

Hacker
Visit site
Um am I reading that right ?

Are you saying that you should be able to enter the comp without having to pay ?

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "fee" because that implies something mandatory, apologies. Ours are all free to enter, and you can still win the trophies, but cash prizes can only be won if you chuck in your £2(s). What I meant was I don't see why clubs have a mandatory fee as a condition of entry, plenty of folk are just playing for the sport and not bothered about winning money.

D

Deleted member 15344

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "fee" because that implies something mandatory, apologies. Ours are all free to enter, and you can still win the trophies, but cash prizes can only be won if you chuck in your £2(s). What I meant was I don't see why clubs have a mandatory fee as a condition of entry, plenty of folk are just playing for the sport and not bothered about winning money.

Our fees help pay for the trophies , honour boards and presentatton night

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our fees help pay for the trophies , honour boards and presentatton night

Fair enough, we only have boards for the club captains and champions (same for the ladies and juniors) and new trophies/engraving is paid for by the club or donated by past captains etc. Our last prizegiving was £25 a head but that was decent value for a 3 course meal and a couple of good after dinner speakers. Everyone who goes pays that whether you've won a prize or not but it's got me thinking that I might suggest adding a levy of 50p or so onto the comps so that the winner eats for free.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
First time I've ever heard of entry to comps being free. Pay to enter all our comps - may only be £2-£4 but funds a nice little prize fund.

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So you rock up in a pair of jeans, they happen to be the type that are ripped/slashed and half faded and fashionable. I presume that any kind of jeans are acceptable.

Dont get me wrong, my jeans cost much more than my golf trousers but the problem with a relaxed dress standard is there will always be someone pushing the boundaries.

Where do you draw the line or is it anything goes?

Just dress smart, as you say a lot of jeans look better than some of the hiddious golf trousers out there, would just say no ripped jeans or ripped trousers.

Chap playing Saturday morning had a pair of bright yellow trousers on with the back pocket hanging off, looked a mess, but no one said a word to him, had he turned up in a £100 smart, new pair of jeans he wouldn't have be allowed to play, wheres the logic it that ??

D

Deleted member 15344

Just dress smart, as you say a lot of jeans look better than some of the hiddious golf trousers out there, would just say no ripped jeans or ripped trousers.

Chap playing Saturday morning had a pair of bright yellow trousers on with the back pocket hanging off, looked a mess, but no one said a word to him, had he turned up in a £100 smart, new pair of jeans he wouldn't have be allowed to play, wheres the logic it that ??

Why would anyone want to play golf in jeans ?! Would you want to rock up to every sport wearing jeans ?! Let alone a pair costing £100

I personally don't see many "hideous" golf trousers on the course

D

Deleted member 15344

Fair enough, we only have boards for the club captains and champions (same for the ladies and juniors) and new trophies/engraving is paid for by the club or donated by past captains etc. Our last prizegiving was £25 a head but that was decent value for a 3 course meal and a couple of good after dinner speakers. Everyone who goes pays that whether you've won a prize or not but it's got me thinking that I might suggest adding a levy of 50p or so onto the comps so that the winner eats for free.

How does the club get the money in to pay for all the trophies ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

The logic is that jeans don't belong in a golf course

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
How does the club get the money in to pay for all the trophies ?

Most of the big comp trophies have been in the club for years but they obviously belong to the club and get handed back in. They introduced a new one recently and that was donated by someone on the committee in memory of one of his family who had been a longstanding member (his names on it). We have small shields for the monthly medal winners which come out of the sweep money but they probably don't cost more than a fiver. If you don't pay then you're not eligible to keep a prize but you can still compete.