Disqualification???

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why do you need to wear glasses for an outfit ?!

Well as its opinions neither are wrong

But as we live in a world where clubs decide what rules they can have in regards dress code - ill stick with the majority and ban jeans and believe that the majority have got it right. If people dont agree with the clubs that have made that choice then they can play at a club that will allow them to wear jeans whilst playing.

Because a number of these outfits are so bright and/or garish that I would rather not have to see them directly. Much like the recent "eclipse", do not look directly at it, for fear of harm to your eyes/sense of taste. It's much easier to avoid these sort of outfits though.

I had to ask who was wrong as you seemed to be expressing as fact that jeans are not suitable for golf, based on your opinion. As you say, neither are wrong.

I happily understand how the rules work, and that there are many clubs that still ban jeans. I will stand by my belief that these clubs do not do so out of some kind of public service (to ensure their customers don't get caught in a downpour wearing ill fitting jeans), but instead they do so out of a misled (some would say old fashioned) opinion on the sort of people who wear jeans. Again, it's my opinion, certainly not fact. I will still visit these clubs, and obey the rules, but reserve the right to believe they are not right.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
You don't have this problem with denim, unless you wearing bootcuts or flares. :D
And what pray tell is wrong with flares :cool:

On a serious note. Denim when wet or it is cold are lethal in more ways than one, you should see the state of some of those we pull in off the moors who think denim is good sports attire. However I'm not keen on clown sports attire either but if folk want to wear either and they are clean and smart (what is smart) the only way forward is to let them in the end.

D

Deleted member 15344

Because a number of these outfits are so bright and/or garish that I would rather not have to see them directly. Much like the recent "eclipse", do not look directly at it, for fear of harm to your eyes/sense of taste. It's much easier to avoid these sort of outfits though.

Dont think i have ever seen clothing that has required the need for sunglasses - and clearly none are harmful to eyes - end of the day that comes down to personal preference

I had to ask who was wrong as you seemed to be expressing as fact that jeans are not suitable for golf, based on your opinion. As you say, neither are wrong.

I happily understand how the rules work, and that there are many clubs that still ban jeans. I will stand by my belief that these clubs do not do so out of some kind of public service (to ensure their customers don't get caught in a downpour wearing ill fitting jeans), but instead they do so out of a misled (some would say old fashioned) opinion on the sort of people who wear jeans. Again, it's my opinion, certainly not fact. I will still visit these clubs, and obey the rules, but reserve the right to believe they are not right.

Our club ban jeans because the members have decided that way - and that includes new and young members. Recently we had an open day and people arrived from a local course where they could wear jeans and were delighted that people couldnt at our place - every one of the 12 guys who arrived were between the ages of 20 -30. We did have some that arrived wearing jeans - they were allowed to play 9 holes in the Open Day but were made aware of the dress code - again none had an issue and all walked away with a membership form.

Think its very judgemental of someone to suggest why clubs dont allow jeans when playing the sport.

Im quite delighted that all the best golf clubs in the coutnry dont allow you to wear jeans whilst playing - just like all the professional bodies and tours of the sport dont allow you to wear jeans whilst playing and quite comfortable that it will continue to do so. Just like all sports have clothing that players must wear and cant wear - golf follows those lines.

And i will never understand why someone would want to play a round of golf in a pair of jeans - and imo it more to do with going against the established standards and rules as opposed to actually wanting to wear jeans.

D

Deleted member 15344

When people mention jeans/denim as uncomfortable, are they still referring to denim made back 20-30 years ago?
Denim materials has come a long way since then. Many are now made with elastane which makes them very stretchable. Thinner denim materials can breathe just as good or better as trousers specifically made for golf.
Maybe people like to wear denim as it looks and fits better than trousers. Have you noticed when you put on a fresh clean pair of slacks before your round, they hold their shape well and looks great over the shoes. After the round, they have lost their shape and now drapes and flaps around.
You don't have this problem with denim, unless you wearing bootcuts or flares. :D

FWIW I have never worn denim on the course but can understand why many do.

Have many pairs of jeans and not one pair would i feel fit to wear on a golf course on a hot day or on a cold wet day - and none of my trousers have ever lost their shape whilst playing.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dont think i have ever seen clothing that has required the need for sunglasses - and clearly none are harmful to eyes - end of the day that comes down to personal preference

Our club ban jeans because the members have decided that way - and that includes new and young members. Recently we had an open day and people arrived from a local course where they could wear jeans and were delighted that people couldnt at our place - every one of the 12 guys who arrived were between the ages of 20 -30. We did have some that arrived wearing jeans - they were allowed to play 9 holes in the Open Day but were made aware of the dress code - again none had an issue and all walked away with a membership form.

Think its very judgemental of someone to suggest why clubs dont allow jeans when playing the sport.

Im quite delighted that all the best golf clubs in the coutnry dont allow you to wear jeans whilst playing - just like all the professional bodies and tours of the sport dont allow you to wear jeans whilst playing and quite comfortable that it will continue to do so. Just like all sports have clothing that players must wear and cant wear - golf follows those lines.

And i will never understand why someone would want to play a round of golf in a pair of jeans - and imo it more to do with going against the established standards and rules as opposed to actually wanting to wear jeans.

Do you not see the hypocrisy of accusing me of being judgemental (happy to admit I am, as is everyone), and then judging people who wear jeans in your last sentence?

I'm not going to argue with you, as we have said before, neither are wrong, but maybe you should occasionally try and consider it from the opposite point of view. Think about why people may want to wear jeans, and not why they automatically shouldn't. Then think about what harm it would do to you if they did.

D

Deleted member 15344

Do you not see the hypocrisy of accusing me of being judgemental (happy to admit I am, as is everyone), and then judging people who wear jeans in your last sentence?

I'm not going to argue with you, as we have said before, neither are wrong, but maybe you should occasionally try and consider it from the opposite point of view. Think about why people may want to wear jeans, and not why they automatically shouldn't. Then think about what harm it would do to you if they did.

Ok tell me why someone would prefer to wear jeans ?

What people wear will never harm me - but i believe in standards of dress in right areas and believe golf holds up those standards and would prefer that it kept to those standards - the sort of standards I had to hold in the military.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok tell me why someone would prefer to wear jeans ?

What people wear will never harm me - but i believe in standards of dress in right areas and believe golf holds up those standards and would prefer that it kept to those standards - the sort of standards I had to hold in the military.

a) because they already own jeans, that they like, and don't fancy buying another pair of trousers for one round every so often
b) because jeans may be very comfortable, for them especially if slightly elasticated
c) because they've just finished working in jeans, and want to nip for 18 holes on the way home from work, without the hassle of taking a change of clothes/getting changed

That's three of the top of my head, and I don't even want to wear them! (but would have no issues with people who would). I just don't like to see items banned out of some historical sense of "standards".

I'm interested in your use of "standards of dress". Under what "standard" does a smart pair of jeans become more fitting than a fluorescent green pair of trousers? Purely because of the material?

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Must admit, I'm in the no jeans on the course camp (only the course, not bothered about the bar). Think I've only ever been to one place which had jeans allowed on the course, Kinloss, when couple of young lads went out playing in jeans and when we asked the Pro he basically said that due to the amount of courses up in that area that they'd simply go elsewhere and the club would lose money. Which is fair enough. It works for them.

Now the reason I'm not really a jeans on the course is the same reason that I wouldn't wear them to go out walking over Rivington or anywhere like that. They are just bad for poor weather conditions (rain etc...) and they are also bad for hot weather conditions (shorts anyway). They soak up moisture and dirt, which simply doesn't seem to be the case with a normal set of trousers. When jeans do get like that they simply look bad.

They don't allow jeans on the course at my place. It's the way our members and the proprietor wants it. It's the way that every course near me has it (as far as I'm aware, although I'm not too sure about Duxbury), so it's never been an issue in my area.

If people want to wear jeans for golf, then that's their prerogative, but if they live near me then the amount they'd be spending on the petrol/diesel to get to a club that accepts them.... well, they might as well just have bought some pants from Matalan.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

a) because they already own jeans, that they like, and don't fancy buying another pair of trousers for one round every so often
b) because jeans may be very comfortable, for them especially if slightly elasticated
c) because they've just finished working in jeans, and want to nip for 18 holes on the way home from work, without the hassle of taking a change of clothes/getting changed

That's three of the top of my head, and I don't even want to wear them! (but would have no issues with people who would). I just don't like to see items banned out of some historical sense of "standards".

I'm interested in your use of "standards of dress". Under what "standard" does a smart pair of jeans become more fitting than a fluorescent green pair of trousers? Purely because of the material?

The standards of dress deemed by the club - Trousers are deemed the standard of dress by most clubs.

Trousers which regardless of colour have been made specifically for golf within differing weather conditions

If someone is only going to play on the odd occasion then they will more than likely play at a club that allows people to play in jeans or tracksuits or trainers.

There are lots of things that are comfortable to wear - should people be allowed to wear whatever they want just because its comfortable - lots of golf material is comfortable also - more comfortable than denim in my experience

Is changing clothes that take 2 mins that much of hassle to people ? I play plenty of times on the way back from work in the summer - takes me two mins to change into golf clothing whilst putting my shoes on.

Why does it automatically have to be assumed that jeans are banned out of historic reasons ? Can the members not decide in the present day that they like to see golfing attire on their course ?

Ando2600

Hacker
Visit site
So if you win a board comp you don't get a keepsake trophy or a voucher to spend in the pro shop for example ?

At ours you get a crystal glass or tankard whether you've paid or not, and your name on the big trophy (if it's a comp that has one). The big trophies stay in the club as they're old and fragile. You only get cash or vouchers if you've entered the sweeps. I assume the keepsakes are paid for out of our subs - they can't cost much. I think free entry comps is quite common, in scotland at least. I always try to win the cash but there's some guys who never enter. Could be related to the fact that all our comps are stroke play - one disaster and its money down the drain. As has been said elsewhere each club to their own but seems to me to be a bit of a swizz to pay hundreds in subs then to have to pay more just to play in club competitions

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
If courses allowed the wearing of jeans then it'd be onesies, or something else, that people would go on about not being allowed. If you take up a sport you wear what is right for the sport - you wouldn't play football in jeans, or a duffel coat to play cricket

Just accept the protocol or find a different sport - it's not really that hard is it?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Clubs relaxed their dress codes years ago. Just look at the way women members can dress now, 3/4 length trousers, collarless shirts none tailored shorts. It'll change and we will all learn to accept it.

Just imagine 30 guys walking out of the club in the future if there was an issue over dress.

Imagine Rory rocking up for a round in a collarless shirt and a smart pair of jeans. Who's going to stop him playing.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Clubs relaxed their dress codes years ago. Just look at the way women members can dress now, 3/4 length trousers, collarless shirts none tailored shorts. It'll change and we will all learn to accept it.

Just imagine 30 guys walking out of the club in the future if there was an issue over dress.

Imagine Rory rocking up for a round in a collarless shirt and a smart pair of jeans. Who's going to stop him playing.

The Muirfield Secretary, I wouldn't be surprised.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking out over an empty links "I'm sorry Mr McIlroy, but we are far too busy to accommodate you today"

2015 Green Fees
£210 for one round and £270 for two rounds on the day.
2016 Green Fees
£220 for one round and £290 for two rounds on the day.

If visitors are paying that sort of money (and they are) what do you suppose members pay?
I don't suppose they are too worried about the course being empty.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As has been said elsewhere each club to their own but seems to me to be a bit of a swizz to pay hundreds in subs then to have to pay more just to play in club competitions

Should members who don't want to play in comps fund the prizes and costs of computer hardware and software for those who do?

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
2015 Green Fees
£210 for one round and £270 for two rounds on the day.
2016 Green Fees
£220 for one round and £290 for two rounds on the day.

If visitors are paying that sort of money (and they are) what do you suppose members pay?
I don't suppose they are too worried about the course being empty.

Members there don't have set green fees, they just get given a bill at the end of the year. Really wouldn't be surprised if (after the Open) they didn't have to pay a penny.

Ando2600

Hacker
Visit site
The members at muirfield are famous for not playing on the course, and when they do anything other than foursomes is frowned upon. It's all about the lunch