Disqualification???

Ando2600

Hacker
Visit site
Should members who don't want to play in comps fund the prizes and costs of computer hardware and software for those who do?
I'd say yes they should, because competitions are an integral part of any golf club, everyone knows that when they join, and even casual players see indirect benefits from the club running competitions (the club would go bust if they didn't, for example)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd say yes they should, because competitions are an integral part of any golf club, everyone knows that when they join, and even casual players see indirect benefits from the club running competitions (the club would go bust if they didn't, for example)

If no members wanted to play comps why would the club go bust?

I know of a least one club where they as a matter of policy have no singles competitions.

Ando2600

Hacker
Visit site
If no members wanted to play comps why would the club go bust?

I know of a least one club where they as a matter of policy have no singles competitions.

That's the exception to the rule, as I suspect you well know. Plenty folk wouldn't join a club if there were no medals

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's the exception to the rule, as I suspect you well know. Plenty folk wouldn't join a club if there were no medals
There are about the same number of players out there without handicaps as with. They of course are not club members and club membership has been going down for some years now.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The members at muirfield are famous for not playing on the course, and when they do anything other than foursomes is frowned upon. It's all about the lunch

A fairly healthy generalisation - and not entirely true! There's a few silver balls attached to Golf Clubs on display that demonstrate it's not all about Foursomes - though afternoon play is 1-ball only, so if there are four players, then that's the obvious format!

And the (monthly) Dinner's are a very important of that particular Club's culture too!

Virtually ever member of Muirfield is also a member elsewhere, so 'competition' golf isn't why they join!

Imagine Rory rocking up for a round in a collarless shirt and a smart pair of jeans. Who's going to stop him playing.

I'd think there'd be a quick deal done in the Pro Shop for a 'suitable' set of clothes - in Muirfield's case, down the road at the Gullane one!

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I remember playing Muirfield a couple of times as a young subaltern - only because the TA held a competition there! A wonderful but formidable course, then. I refereed on it a couple of years ago and it is still formidable. The presentation of the course is immaculate and the views wonderful - there were many worse ways of spending a fine summer's evening.