Disqualification???

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd much rather see someone wearing jeans that wearing some of the ludicrous garish multicouloured 'approved' golf tops and trousers I see on the course.

D

Deleted member 15344

Some are too bright and can be distracting (also silly patterns tend to be a bit much at times). Never quite understand who the wearer is trying to impress by wearing outrageous clothing? At least jeans are dark and inconspicuous.

If you are distracted by someone wearing bright clothes then that's not their issue

And I'm guessing they are like me and aren't trying to impress anyone but enjoy wearing good golf clothing and they enjoy it and makes them feel good.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
If you are distracted by someone wearing bright clothes then that's not their issue

And I'm guessing they are like me and aren't trying to impress anyone but enjoy wearing good golf clothing and they enjoy it and makes them feel good.

To be fair Phil ....... we'd find you easily after dark should you get lost on your back 9!!

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Being a nosey so-and-so, I couldn't resist looking at the websites of both your clubs to see the stated dress code.

One club does not specifically preclude the wearing of denim (although specifying recognised and traditional golf clothing) and the other bans the wearing of denim - without reference to the colour of the denim.

I taking it the club site you viewed, which bans denim was Salisbury, ( I say this as Rushmore is not as hot on dress code as others) in the club house and changing rooms at Salisbury, they do mention blue denim.

Salisbury is where I wear my black jeans and have been told its fine to do so, as "they are not blue Denim" words straight from the pro and Captain.

To be honest they do look like normal black trousers but jeans they are !

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I taking it the club site you viewed, which bans denim was Salisbury, ( I say this as Rushmore is not as hot on dress code as others) in the club house and changing rooms at Salisbury, they do mention blue denim.

Salisbury is where I wear my black jeans and have been told its fine to do so, as "they are not blue Denim" words straight from the pro and Captain.

To be honest they do look like normal black trousers but jeans they are !

No, the other way round.

Salisbury - no mention of jeans or denim.

Rushmore - denim banned, without mentioning any particular colour.

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
No, the other way round.

Salisbury - no mention of jeans or denim.

Rushmore - denim banned, without mentioning any particular colour.

Well that does surprise me, as I said Salisbury has signs up saying no blue denim where as Rushmore I have not seen a single sign or poster and believe me, you can get away with a lot more at Rushmore than Salisbury.

At Salisbury all you have to do is cough and somebody will rise an eyebrow

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm a woman. I wear my jeans so tight that there would be nowhere to put my tees!

Well that does surprise me, as I said Salisbury has signs up saying no blue denim where as Rushmore I have not seen a single sign or poster and believe me, you can get away with a lot more at Rushmore than Salisbury.

At Salisbury all you have to do is cough and somebody will rise an eyebrow

If your jeans were as tight as those worn by North Mimms, you could do yourself a nasty accident if you coughed.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Why does it make you feel good, unless there is an external factor at play? Unless these are magical trousers, lined with cotton wool that would improve the feeling of them, then the "feeling good" must be due to your opinion of how you look, which eventually comes down to thinking how others would view you.

Why are you allowed to enjoy how you look and feel good, but people in jeans aren't? (this is excluding the "jeans are banned" part, talking hypothetically as if they were allowed)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Why does it make you feel good, unless there is an external factor at play? Unless these are magical trousers, lined with cotton wool that would improve the feeling of them, then the "feeling good" must be due to your opinion of how you look, which eventually comes down to thinking how others would view you.

Why are you allowed to enjoy how you look and feel good, but people in jeans aren't? (this is excluding the "jeans are banned" part, talking hypothetically as if they were allowed)

..and if we want to attract more and younger folks to the game we sure as heck aren't going to do it by wearing utterly absurd colourful clothing that plays to the stereotype of golfers in naff clothes. They may be fun to wear - you may feel good - you may be within the dress code. They may not be the best thing for expanding golf.

D

Deleted member 15344

People can enjoy how they look in jeans playing golf on courses that allow them to wear jeans :thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

..and if we want to attract more and younger folks to the game we sure as heck aren't going to do it by wearing utterly absurd colourful clothing that plays to the stereotype of golfers in naff clothes. They may be fun to wear - you may feel good - you may be within the dress code. They may not be the best thing for expanding golf.

Based on what ?

Every Sunday morning when I see the kids going for their group lessons or when I see the juniors play - they are wearing tartans , red , blue , green , white and even pink trousers - they love wearing the clothes they see the Pros wearing

It's even more so when I go to Woburn and find the majority of the juniors all kitted out in Poulter gear and I would suspect it's not far different at most clubs

Kids loving sticking out and wearing bright stuff - they love wearing what their idols wear when playing sport.

So I'm going to suggest that be able to wear bright loud golf clothing is better for attracting youngsters to the game

D

Deleted member 15344

Sorry Phil, you completely ignored by last point. I'm not talking about that, i'm refuting your previous assertions regarding jeans not being suitable for Golf, not whether they are allowed.

I don't think denim is suitable for any sport in regards the material as find it uncomfortable when hot , a nightmare when wet and don't believe them to be correct sport attire for any sport.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think denim is suitable for any sport in regards the material as find it uncomfortable when hot , a nightmare when wet and don't believe them to be correct sport attire for any sport.

So we've established that. I don't think that any outfit that requires viewers of it to wear glasses is suitable for an adult sport. I also think that in the right conditions jeans are no more or less suitable than any other pair of trousers.

Now, what makes your opinion right, and mine not?

D

Deleted member 15344

So we've established that. I don't think that any outfit that requires viewers of it to wear glasses is suitable for an adult sport. I also think that in the right conditions jeans are no more or less suitable than any other pair of trousers.

Now, what makes your opinion right, and mine not?

Why do you need to wear glasses for an outfit ?!

Well as its opinions neither are wrong

But as we live in a world where clubs decide what rules they can have in regards dress code - ill stick with the majority and ban jeans and believe that the majority have got it right. If people dont agree with the clubs that have made that choice then they can play at a club that will allow them to wear jeans whilst playing.

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When people mention jeans/denim as uncomfortable, are they still referring to denim made back 20-30 years ago?
Denim materials has come a long way since then. Many are now made with elastane which makes them very stretchable. Thinner denim materials can breathe just as good or better as trousers specifically made for golf.
Maybe people like to wear denim as it looks and fits better than trousers. Have you noticed when you put on a fresh clean pair of slacks before your round, they hold their shape well and looks great over the shoes. After the round, they have lost their shape and now drapes and flaps around.
You don't have this problem with denim, unless you wearing bootcuts or flares. :D

FWIW I have never worn denim on the course but can understand why many do.