Disqualification under 6.1b (2)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think a DQ is way over the top.
And was he really praticing?
When else is he going to tee a ball up on the red tee that needed practicing?
A bollocking from the competition secretary would have been ample in this situation.
Two blokes having fun on a golf course. Heavens forbid. It makes golf look a little silly with such rigid responses. Any other sport and the official has a quiet word with the people involved and that's enough.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Two blokes having fun on a golf course. Heavens forbid. It makes golf look a little silly with such rigid responses. Any other sport and the official has a quiet word with the people involved and that's enough.
That's Clearly not the case, if a referee in just about every sport observes a breaking of te rules, then he will award some sort of penalty i.e in football a free kick.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's Clearly not the case, if a referee in just about every sport observes a breaking of te rules, then he will award some sort of penalty i.e in football a free kick.
Penalise a shot then, not dq. There is clearly no practising happening, one bloke has set a dare, a daft comment, and the other has bit. It's a bit of daftness in an amateur weekend comp with nothing at stake. It isn't open qualifying.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Penalise a shot then, not dq. There is clearly no practising happening, one bloke has set a dare, a daft comment, and the other has bit. It's a bit of daftness in an amateur weekend comp with nothing at stake. It isn't open qualifying.

The penalty has to be whatever the rules state it to be. But take another look at what has been said. The shot from the red tee gets a 2 stroke penalty. It doesn't matter that practising wasn't the player's intention. An extraneous shot with another ball in the course of playing a hole is penalised as a practice shot because it has the same potential to assist you in your game as one deliberately made for the purpose of practising. Innocent errors get penalised because of their potential to give a player an advantage.

The responses may seem "rigid" to you but they are responses to the question "what is the ruling here" and as such give answers as to what the rules dictate. I think that's what the OP wanted.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The penalty has to be whatever the rules state it to be. But take another look at what has been said. The shot from the red tee gets a 2 stroke penalty. It doesn't matter that practising wasn't the player's intention. An extraneous shot with another ball in the course of playing a hole is penalised as a practice shot because it has the same potential to assist you in your game as one deliberately made for the purpose of practising. Innocent errors get penalised because of their potential to give a player an advantage.

The responses may seem "rigid" to you but they are responses to the question "what is the ruling here" and as such give answers as to what the rules dictate. I think that's what the OP wanted.
I totally accept your last paragraph. Question asked, question answered. No criticism of the answers or the posters giving those answers. They are factual answers.

Personally I think discretion could be used in instances like this, as it is in many sports, but I'm well aware that golf doesn't like discretion as an option.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Im unsure what other outcome the OP would have expected and see no scope for appealing anything.

It seems clear, to me at least, that whoever witnessed the incident and reported it, seen the FC teeing off at the wrong tee. One of the options was to tee off again, given the person was in the ditch. I'd argue that once they played the ball from the ladies tee, this was now the ball in play. It should have been from the white tee so I'd also argue the ruling of a DQ 6.1b (2) is correct.

Im not sure you can declare a ball a practice ball given practice is prohibited. Unless it's established the ball is a provisional, then it is now the ball in play.

Just to reiterate. He was not starting the hole so 6.1b(2) is incorrect.

His second shot, which you say was not a practice stroke, from the ladies tee may or may not have been from a wrong place depending on whether it satisfied the 'back on line' criteria. If it did not satisfy the criteria it was a wrong place (14.7a General penalty) but he would have corrected it by locating, dropping and playing the first ball (14.7b)

If it satisfied the criteria there was no penalty but he then played another ball (his original). You say his second ball did not clear the ditch. So locating, dropping and playing the first ball would be taking relief for the second ball in the ditch. This may or may not have been from a wrong place (14.7a) but not a serious breach.

Just what was the DQable offence?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
Most here are suggesting a two shot penalty for practising during the playing of a hole Rule 5.5a, as do I. If that is not practicing what is it.

RichA

Visit site
From someone who is new to playing in "competitive" golf, this question is seeking to learn, not disagree with anyone...
Is it relevant to punishment (penalty shots or DQ) whether the breach of whichever rule was identified at the time and marked on the card, as opposed to identified after the cards were completed and signed?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
No, and for good reason. In golf unlike most other sports we don't have a referee following our every move, so there must be an appropriate penalty when a rule is broken.

So no discretion allowed when applying the rules of a game.
How about a policeman who IS allowed to use his/her discretion when applying the laws of the land/road
ie giving you a warning for doing 55 in a 50 limit?
Are the rules of golf more important than the laws of the land?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

RichA

Visit site
Can't view the USGA rules in the UK without downloading the app and registering.
When I browsed the R&A rules it looked like the penalty for a practice stroke was 2 shots, if identified during the round, but disqualification if identified after certification, signing and submission of card to the committee.
Is it not that simple?
I'm guessing the difference is how seriously we assume the small print rules are applied by "the committee" to what seem like minor, midweek rounds involving amateurs like me who don't know them all.
I take it seriously with myself but don't worry too much what other folks get up to when there's only a quid at stake.
I didn't know this was even a rule until I read this thread and remembered seeing it quoted for a DQ in one of our comps last week.

I had hoped that after retiring from football and cricket, I was playing in a simpler sport, in terms of rule interpretation.
Another fail on my part, by the looks of it.

wjemather

Visit site
Can't view the USGA rules in the UK without downloading the app and registering.
When I browsed the R&A rules it looked like the penalty for a practice stroke was 2 shots, if identified during the round, but disqualification if identified after certification, signing and submission of card to the committee.
Is it not that simple?
I'm guessing the difference is how seriously we assume the small print rules are applied by "the committee" to what seem like minor, midweek rounds involving amateurs like me who don't know them all.
I take it seriously with myself but don't worry too much what other folks get up to when there's only a quid at stake.
I didn't know this was even a rule until I read this thread and remembered seeing it quoted for a DQ in one of our comps last week.

I had hoped that after retiring from football and cricket, I was playing in a simpler sport, in terms of rule interpretation.
Another fail on my part, by the looks of it.
You need the full rules: https://www.randa.org/en/rog/2019/rules/the-rules-of-golf/rule-3#3-3b. See the section titled "Exception – Failure to Include Unknown Penalty".

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He then got a message to say he had been DQ’d under the above ruling.

Questions that need answering

Did the committee find out about what happened before or after they closed the competition and did he get the news before or after the competition was closed?

If it was after

Committee Procedures
Rule 20.2 e

But a player must be disqualified even after the competition is closed if he or she:

• Returned a score for any hole lower than actually taken for any reason other than failing to include one or more penalty strokes that, before the competition closed, the player did not know about (see Rule 3.3b(3)),

Last edited: