Disqualification under 6.1b (2)

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
From Collins Dictionary:

just about

PHRASE
You use just about to indicate that what you are talking about is in fact the case, but only by a very small degree or amount.
I can just about tolerate it at the moment.
We've got just about enough time to get there.
My view,
"I just about holed it" means that I nearly made it, but it did not go in.
"I just about missed it" means that I nearly missed it, but it did go in.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My view,

I think you've got them mixed up.

As I said in #64, identical words with opposite meanings, and both with multiple references to prove them correct.

Well that just about clears it up then :ROFLMAO:

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
So no discretion allowed when applying the rules of a game.
How about a policeman who IS allowed to use his/her discretion when applying the laws of the land/road
ie giving you a warning for doing 55 in a 50 limit?
Are the rules of golf more important than the laws of the land?

That is a totally irrelevant "comparison". If discretion is allowed or practised in one set of circumstances, totally unrelated to another set of circumstances, it has no bearing on whether discretion should be allowed in the other.

It has always amazed me why some golfers of many years standing fail to see the clear distinction between playing social golf and playing a competition. In a competition , it is to the rules. Ok, the rules of golf are draconian, but that is known by you when you enter a competition. If you don't like playing under such stringent restrictions, then don't enter the competition. Just play social golf!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It has always amazed me why some golfers of many years standing fail to see the clear distinction between playing social golf and playing a competition. In a competition , it is to the rules. Ok, the rules of golf are draconian, but that is known by you when you enter a competition. If you don't like playing under such stringent restrictions, then don't enter the competition. Just play social golf!

I am well aware of the difference between social golf and playing in a competition. One is fun and the other has to be played under stringent draconian restrictions.
I've never been a big fan of playing in comps as for me, my opponent is the course, not 100 other people.
I guess that's one of the reasons I gave up playing amateur and professional golf...it was too serious and the fun/banter had gone.
And to any competition secretaries out there...if you see a man who is down, don't kick him, it's only a game.

Swango1980

Visit site
I am well aware of the difference between social golf and playing in a competition. One is fun and the other has to be played under stringent draconian restrictions.
I've never been a big fan of playing in comps as for me, my opponent is the course, not 100 other people.
I guess that's one of the reasons I gave up playing amateur and professional golf...it was too serious and the fun/banter had gone.
And to any competition secretaries out there...if you see a man who is down, don't kick him, it's only a game.
So, you are instructing competition secretaries to potentially not apply the rules in individual circumstances depending on the player's emotional state!? Ridiculous.

The better advice is to weak minded players out there, if you don't have the mental fortitude to cope with, every now and again, being penalised under the same rules as everyone else in the competition, then simply don't play in competitions. It seems like you have followed this advice yourself, so stop fretting about it. Because, honestly, I'd say 99%+ people who currently play in comps don't worry about such things too much. And, on the rare occasion they fall foul of the rules, they just get on with it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
There's a world of difference between someone who has won a competition but has been caught cheating and a guy who shoots net 85 and has marked a 6 on his card when it should be a 7. Especially when a DQ might also mean a ban from entering the next few comps.

So, you are instructing competition secretaries to potentially not apply the rules in individual circumstances depending on the player's emotional state!? Ridiculous.

It seems like you have followed this advice yourself, so stop fretting about it.

I'll stop ''instructing competition secretaries'' when you stop telling me what I should frett about.

I may have stopped playing competition golf but I am still entitled to an opinion.
Thank you.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
My view,
How can something be holed without it going in?
Surely, the crux is in the tense . Of the verb, I.e."Holed" .It means it went in.
If it said he just about failed to hole it, it means it didn't go in. Because the "failed" was achieved. Just ?.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is a difference between "I just about holed it", meaning it was close but not holed, and "I only just holed it" , meaning it was holed but very nearly missed. I have never come across any other meanings for "just about managed to do something" than you didn't quite achieve it ....... until this thread came up with the fanciful idea that "just about holed a putt" could mean actually holing it.

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
How can something be holed without it going in?
Surely, the crux is in the tense . Of the verb, I.e."Holed" .It means it went in.
If it said he just about failed to hole it, it means it didn't go in. Because the "failed" was achieved. Just ?.

Ingenious nonsense. :LOL:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Swango1980

Visit site
There's a world of difference between someone who has won a competition but has been caught cheating and a guy who shoots net 85 and has marked a 6 on his card when it should be a 7. Especially when a DQ might also mean a ban from entering the next few comps.

I'll stop ''instructing competition secretaries'' when you stop telling me what I should frett about.

I may have stopped playing competition golf but I am still entitled to an opinion.
Thank you.
And what about a person who signs for wrong score, but rather than win comp they come 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, etc. Or shoot a nett 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, etc. ?

If you have the wisdom to offer such advice, please tell comp secs where they should draw the line. Otherwise it is just a nonsense. As mentioned previously, comp secs get more grief when they fail to apply the rules of golf, that they do when they DO apply them.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Ingenious nonsense. :LOL:
No, your previous post is ingenious and literal nonsense. ?

I just about caught the bus means I caught it , but only just managed to do so, I. E. I nearly missed it.
You are equating " just about " to mean the same as "almost"

Looks like a quirk of the language depending on where you were brought up, maybe???

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
And what about a person who signs for wrong score, but rather than win comp they come 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, etc. Or shoot a nett 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, etc. ?

If you have the wisdom to offer such advice, please tell comp secs where they should draw the line. Otherwise it is just a nonsense. As mentioned previously, comp secs get more grief when they fail to apply the rules of golf, that they do when they DO apply them.

I've already explained in post no. 66

That's why I suggest discretion.
If he comes in the prizes then he should be penalised or DQ.
If he had a bad day, why kick him while he's down.

Swango1980

Visit site
I've already explained in post no. 66
Why complicate things?

So, if player is out of prizes, just ignore it. What if he picks up Order of Merit points? Not ignore, or ignore. If he has finished out of everything, why on earth is the player getting so emotional anyway? He's not won anything, so why does he care if he got a DQ or a nett 90?