disqualifed rule 6-6(b)

georgedooley

Hacker
Visit site
Last week I played in my clubs weekly stableford comp. I had the winning score of 41pts. I got disqualified under rule 6-6(b). The reason given was in the competitor name field I just had my Christian name and not my surname. I signed the card with my full name. I have looked up the rules and online and cannot find anywhere to show that this is a disqualification or that rule 6-6(b) applies here. Please help clear this up. Thanks

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd need to check the rules, but it sounds like you may have been hard done by. I was under the impression that the player was basically responsible for handicap, gross scores and signing it. I thought the committee were responsible for providing the player with a card and assumed date and name would be their responsibility.

Edit: Rule 33-5 In strokeplay the committee must provide each competitor with a scorecard conatining the date and the competitors name...

If you can't find something in the rule your lookig for, use the index in the back of the rule book and look for scores or soemthing like that. 6 is The Player and putting your name on the card it is not one of your responsibilites so it is not there.

Last edited:

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd need to check the rules, but it sounds like you may have been hard done by. I was under the impression that the player was basically responsible for handicap, gross scores and signing it. I thought the committee were responsible for providing the player with a card and assumed date and name would be their responsibility.

Edit: Rule 33-5 In strokeplay the committee must provide each competitor with a scorecard conatining the date and the competitors name...

If you can't find something in the rule your lookig for, use the index in the back of the rule book and look for scores or soemthing like that. 6 is The Player and putting your name on the card it is not one of your responsibilites so it is not there.

I think the same. Technically the club should issue the card with your full name recorded on it. I guess this doesnt happen in practice for every comp. I think we have cards issued to us for our major board comps else you have to write it out yourself for normal medals/stablefords.

It sounds a bit harsh to me but this has been a wake up call for me and others on here so thanks for that! In future full christian and surname goes on the card just in case!!!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It sounds very harsh.

At our place names are on the card when they're given out, and you don't get your card until you've paid your entry fee.
I think that makes it easier to keep track of who has and hasn't paid as well.

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Edit: Rule 33-5 In strokeplay the committee must provide each competitor with a scorecard conatining the date and the competitors name....

You also need to read the note at the end of the rule:

Note: The Committee may request that each competitor records the date and his name on his score card.

sJoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi..You are only responsible for your gross score and correct handicap..anything else is down to the committee Rules 6 6b and 33. 5..apply..I was disqualified for entering a wrong NET score. back in December. pointed out the committes mistake under the rules of golf and had my score re-instated..

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pedants. But Wrong. We do pedantry on here too.

This is a job for... The Forum!

FAQ to Rule 33-5

Q. Is the player responsible for completing the score card with the completion details, date, etc?

A. Under Rule 33-5, it is the responsibility of the Committee to issue to the competitor a score card with his name and the date of the competion on the score card. However a Committee may request the competitors help by asking them to complete this information in order to assist in the administration of the event, but it cannot require a player does so. As it is ultimately the Committee's responsibility, the player cannot be penalised under the Rules of Golf for failing to so.

http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-Amateur-Status/Rules-of-Golf.aspx#/rules/?ruleNum=33&subRuleNum=5

Looks like an e-mail/call to the secretary and an apology to you is in order. Oh and also the prize and a h/c cut. :clap:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Pedants. But Wrong. We do pedantry on here too.

Looks like an e-mail/call to the secretary and an apology to you is in order. Oh and also the prize and a h/c cut. :clap:

And if that doesn't get a decent result, pass your appeal on to your County. Also consider pointing out to your club how close to membership renewal time it is? :mmm:

daymond

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You have been DQ'd incorrectly under 33-5. You also entered your Given name. Do the rules require you to enter all of your names Given and Surname? I think not.
If you are refused reinstatement write to the County as sugested by Foxholer with a copy to your committee.
Go on make a real issue of it.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with those who say this was an incorrect DQ. You should appeal, and ask for the matter to be referred to the rules department at the R&A if not satisfied. They usually respond within 24 hours.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Could be a club local rule.
To monitor slow play one of my clubs say that in drawn competitions you must put your start/finish time on each medal card.

George if you were the competition organiser and card is returned by Dave with a signiture that is a scrawl. What would you do?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Could be a club local rule.
To monitor slow play one of my clubs say that in drawn competitions you must put your start/finish time on each medal card.

George if you were the competition organiser and card is returned by Dave with a signiture that is a scrawl. What would you do?

It's obvious the club knew who's card it was as they disqualified him incorrectly, theres is no debate on the rules, the player is responsible for ensuring the correct GROSS score and signing for it, thats it and i'd be surprised if any club having a local rule disqualifying you for not puting your surname on the card.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It sounds very harsh.

At our place names are on the card when they're given out, and you don't get your card until you've paid your entry fee.
I think that makes it easier to keep track of who has and hasn't paid as well.

Same at our place....