Transfering Property

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
My son is disabled and we were worried about his future after me and the wife have gone.
We got professional advice on trust funds etc.

During the meeting with the financial advisors I asked about signing the house over to my lad, sooner rather than later, worried about the “7 year rule” etc and we were advised the 7 year thing is an Urban myth, for instance, if we signed the house over and 10 years down the line, god forbid me or the wife has passed away and the other one needs to go in to care, the local authority can still use the house as part of the remaining spouses assetts as putting the house in your sons name did not negate the reason for you needing somewhere to live and was purely to try and avoid other financial liabilities.

As others have said, I would go and get proper legal advice rather than information off us lot on here.
I think I get better advice on here as people only post from personal experience rather than guess work like the internet

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think I get better advice on here as people only post from personal experience rather than guess work like the internet
I disagree with this. It only holds true if the person posting from experience is in exactly (and I mean everything is exactly) the same position as you. Any slight variation in circumstances can make a huge difference when it comes to financial transactions

PaulMdj

Visit site
Unless we are lucky and someone on here is an expert in the field you are questioning about then you are taking a big risk.

Everyone on here is well meaning, but you’ll have no recourse if you use that advice and it goes wrong.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unless we are lucky and someone on here is an expert in the field you are questioning about then you are taking a big risk.

Everyone on here is well meaning, but you’ll have no recourse if you use that advice and it goes wrong.

I think we can all agree on the best advise here..

Pay for proper legal advice on the matter!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can this not be done as a deed of gift? I know it’s possible for kids to “gift” parents property this way but not sure the other way around.

Yes you can "gift" but then you have to live 7 years for no tax to be due. Why should I have to pay tax of a property I inherited, that has gained value, but I am giving away? So therefore I am not getting any benefit. Doesn't make sense.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
What we are finding is that because I inherited this, and the value has increased, I have to pay a tax on something that I want to give away for free because it has increased in value since I got it. 😳 But wasn't taxed when I got it as it was below the tax inheritance value. What a sack of poo this is!

I am guessing that it is capital gains tax due to the increase in value irrespective of you giving it away.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes you can "gift" but then you have to live 7 years for no tax to be due. Why should I have to pay tax of a property I inherited, that has gained value, but I am giving away? So therefore I am not getting any benefit. Doesn't make sense.
Bottom line as HMRC will see it is that it is none of their business how much you choose to sell the inherited property for - that you choose to give it away is your matter. Of course if HMRC look for £X CGT, there is nothing stopping you selling it for £X, thereby not costing you anything. How you are paid the £X by the buyer is again between you and the buyer.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

To be fair, even if you find someone who is an expert in the field or has extensive knowledge, they are unlikely to give away full and detailed advice for which they could be held liable if it proves incorrect, for nothing on here especially without full details of all the facts and documents involved. Many professionals in this area can have any and all advice given held as formal professional advice even if typed on here.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bottom line as HMRC will see it is that it is none of their business how much you choose to sell the inherited property for - that you choose to give it away is your matter. Of course if HMRC look for £X CGT, there is nothing stopping you selling it for £X, thereby not costing you anything. How you are paid the £X by the buyer is again between you and the buyer.

Unfortunately this is not the case. I would be a lot of trouble if I tried this, apparently. Of course they would have to find out.........but if they did........