Deleted member

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
If it's reached that point for someone then that's an ideal time to use the ignore feature.
I know not everyone likes it but it removes the taint from the forum and allows you to continue enjoying the worthwhile elements.

And some threads are best just avoided full stop!
Those will vary for each of us.
This is what I don’t understand when people complain about what goes on in some threads. If you don’t like the content, don’t go in there.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
It a reflection of the rest of social media and wider society.

People don’t seem to be able to cope when their opinions are challenged and think people are attacking them or being argumentative.

It’s what used to be called a discussion or debate.

It’s a bit like a golf club where long standing older members feel like their opinions carry more weight, simply because they are older and have been members longer.

I’m not sure anyone on the forum thinks their opinion carries more weight because they have been here longer.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
This is what I don’t understand when people complain about what goes on in some threads. If you don’t like the content, don’t go in there.

Or, if you want to go there and find comments which are problematic or intended to disrupt, use the report function so that content can be reviewed and dealt with if required.

I find it rather frustrating when I see members express their displeasure at what they consider disruptive content, and yet nobody reports that content.

Problems can’t be addressed if those who can address them don’t know about them.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I'm not finding it toxic, but the incessant hammering of views and opinions as facts in quite a few threads when they are never going to change other people's minds is becoming tiring. Some others may find this toxic and some may not care a jot.
I've used the ignore function and just ignored certain threads for a while. I've also used the unwatch feature when a thread I've posted on becomes tiresome/frustrating/depressing from the aforementioned reason.
Everything is subjective, and so reporting a thread or post because I feel it's crossed a line, is offering nothing worthwhile, is circular, etc. doesn't mean the Mods or anyone else will share my view. So what's the point in reporting those kinds of threads/posts? I'm not criticising the process, the Mods or anything or anyone here. Just my observations which I'm afraid no-one will sway me from.
I'm finding new ways of navigating the forum okay for me, but can understand why some won't. The forum is a different place to the one I joined. Some things are better, some unchanged and some worse.

Last edited:

YandaB

Visit site
I'm not finding it toxic, but the incessant hammering of views and opinions as facts in quite a few threads when they are never going to change other people's minds is becoming tiring. Some others may find this toxic and some may not care a jot.
I've used the ignore function and just ignored certain threads for a while. I've also used the unwatch feature when a thread I've posted on becomes tiresome/frustrating/depressing from the aforementioned reason.
Everything is subjective, and so reporting a thread or post because I feel its crossed a line, is offering nothing worthwhile, is circular, etc. doesn't mean the Mods or anyone else will share my view. So what's the point in reporting those kinds of threads/posts? I'm not criticising the process, the Mods or anything or anyone here. Just my observations which I'm afraid no-one will sway me from.
I'm finding new ways of navigating the forum okay for me, but can understand why some won't. The forum is a different place to the one I joined. Some things are better, some unchanged and some worse.
And if such a thing does ever happened then people are castigated for "doing a U turn" :-(

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And if such a thing does ever happened then people are castigated for "doing a U turn" :-(
Sadly there’s a few that will argue on anything they can, just because they shout the loudest And want the last word.
There has been quite a few that are no longer around I was always happy to converse/interact with. Sadly it always seems the more reasonable ones are the ones that decide to pull the plug on it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think there are some posters who genuinely don’t like each other, and that comes out in certain threads. I’m not sure I’d call it toxic, but it certainly brings the forum down and makes people leave as is the case here.

The constant bickering and snidely comments have brought the place down from where it was a few years ago
I can’t be bothered with debate around LIV. It clearly causes divide, argument and upset - and over something that impacts personally absolutely not one single one of us (I do not count who I may or may not see on TV as a personal impact).

And so I have - barring my one and only post a few days ago saying same - completely ignored the thread. It doesn’t take much reading (a few posts is enough) to realise the level and nature of discourse and there are sufficient difficult things going on in my life that need room in my head to process for me to bother for one second about other folks arguments, prejudices and petty squabbles over LIV/PGAT getting in there also.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Everything is subjective, and so reporting a thread or post because I feel it's crossed a line, is offering nothing worthwhile, is circular, etc. doesn't mean the Mods or anyone else will share my view. So what's the point in reporting those kinds of threads/posts? I'm not criticising the process, the Mods or anything or anyone here. Just my observations which I'm afraid no-one will sway me from.

Yes, its repeating the same info over and over again with the idea that saying it louder will change someone else opinion.

Whilst I appreciate the ignore function is there for a reason, it shouldn't be needed.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Everything is subjective, and so reporting a thread or post because I feel its crossed a line, is offering nothing worthwhile, is circular, etc. doesn't mean the Mods or anyone else will share my view. So what's the point in reporting those kinds of threads/posts?

I absolutely understand what you’re saying.

The only point I would make is that, whilst the majority of content reported is subjective, and hence will invariably remain unmoderated, there is always a proportion which will breach GM’s forum guidelines. Such content will be dealt with, and the person posting it may receive words of advice or an infraction, as appropriate.

I will say the subjective issues are problematic in themselves, not least because all of the moderators have different tolerance levels. You will perhaps have seen that with some mod edits - we’re all human, and what one person finds acceptable another may not, so we don’t always get it right.

So whilst your views will doubtless differ to mine with regard to subjective content, many breaches of guidelines are much easier to spot. I’d urge everyone to use the report function, if only because that way we can try and maintain peace!

Status
Not open for further replies.