Darts

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I remember watching it a few years ago

In the front row was a guy dressed up in a religious sisters habit.
The pro through his first dart - treble 20
Second dart single 20
Third hits the wire rebounded and killed the guy in fancy dress.
Scorer shouts "out one nun dead and eighty"

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Went last Saturday night for our Christmas Do, has two tables in the VIP section, terrific night out, very much a “blokes” night, free beer, lots of chanting and smashing down the Jaegerbombs for every 180! All good fun, shame Barney went out on a whimper.

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s not really a sport though - more a pub game where people can go and get smashed and have a laugh. Did giggle at fart gate last year

They have marketed it very well and made millions for some of the players

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I can't believe no one has started a thread on the World Darts Champioship that is going on right now. A monster of an event, one day I have to go to this, although I am not sure how they will treat a two pints of beer, lemonade after that please, person?

Massive news yesterday was a woman reaching the second round for the first time ever. Fallon Sherrock is the lady and be under no illusion, she won, the opponent did not lose. Up to the last set, this may have continued, her opponent had the second highest dart average of the tournament so far, she had the 3rd highest. Better than Van Gerwen, Anderson et al. Seriously high quality darts, a cracker of a match.

No reason whatsoever why women can not play darts as well as men, no physical side to it, so now the glass ceiling has been broken this may become more common.

Most impressive display of the night, or any night. The bloke giving the scores after each throw. Insane level of maths o_O. I know a lot of it is repetition but there are some major combinations happening and there is no delay in the score being given out.

The natural musculature in a man’s arm, on average, is better than a woman’s for this sort of throw. But exceptional women will certainly have a chance.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s not really a sport though - more a pub game where people can go and get smashed and have a laugh. Did giggle at fart gate last year

They have marketed it very well and made millions for some of the players

Wondered how long it would take for this argument to be started. :sleep:

The natural musculature in a man’s arm, on average, is better than a woman’s for this sort of throw. But exceptional women will certainly have a chance.

Agreed, but they need the top players to play poorly to beat them though, the standard of the female game is nowhere near the level of the mens game currently. Minoru Suzuki averaged over 90 in the Final in Jan and she was the first woman to average over 90 since Lisa Ashton in a 3-0 win in 2015. For comparison, in the same year in the BDO Glen Durrant averaged 99.87 in the Semi Final and lost.

First Round matches finish this afternoon, so should start to see a bit more quality from today onwards. The evening session has a couple of good games - Chisnall vs Van der Voort should be a good game and Gerwyn Price plays his first game of the tournament. Should be a good watch.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Wondered how long it would take for this argument to be started. :sleep:

Agreed, but they need the top players to play poorly to beat them though, the standard of the female game is nowhere near the level of the mens game currently. Minoru Suzuki averaged over 90 in the Final in Jan and she was the first woman to average over 90 since Lisa Ashton in a 3-0 win in 2015. For comparison, in the same year in the BDO Glen Durrant averaged 99.87 in the Semi Final and lost.

First Round matches finish this afternoon, so should start to see a bit more quality from today onwards. The evening session has a couple of good games - Chisnall vs Van der Voort should be a good game and Gerwyn Price plays his first game of the tournament. Should be a good watch.

He knows EXACTLY what he’s doing ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
He knows EXACTLY what he’s doing ?
Of course. And it's not on the precious BBC

I think for ladies to really get a foothold in the pro game and compete against the other PDC top players and win more often they simply need more access to play events, get experience and see what the level is really like on a regular basis and then go away and work towards getting their game to that level.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Of course. And it's not on the precious BBC

I think for ladies to really get a foothold in the pro game and compete against the other PDC top players and win more often they simply need more access to play events, get experience and see what the level is really like on a regular basis and then go away and work towards getting their game to that level.

Disagree a bit with this last bit. Loads of people can throw darts to a very high level, when playing at home, or with their mates down the pub. It's probably not darts she needs to get better at, it's performance. She will only get that by competing at tournaments, not practicing.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Disagree a bit with this last bit. Loads of people can throw darts to a very high level, when playing at home, or with their mates down the pub. It's probably not darts she needs to get better at, it's performance. She will only get that by competing at tournaments, not practicing.
I remember hearing Phil Taylor talking about this a few years ago. He would go around pubs and clubs and take on all comers, as all pro darts players did back in the day. He knew he would lose some games and he said he would smile as his opponent would strut around boasting to all who would listen. 'Put em up on the stage with the lights glaring, walk on music, 1,000 people baying for your opponent. Then see how many trebles and doubles they hit'. The difference is hitting them in your local or your practice room and hitting them on stage must be enormous.

She coped brilliantly with the atmosphere the other night and will be much the better for it. The more normal it becomes for her to play on stage in situations like that, the more games she will win at that level.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm off to the Ally Pally next Friday. Used to live only a few miles from the Circus Tavern and never went in the 7 years I lived there. Now I live 80 miles from London and I've been for the last 5 years!!!

The atmosphere and banter between various sections of the crowd is great and I've never once felt like aggro is imminent

As for getting hammered by excessive drinking? The pish that is served up means that you need to guzzle a huge amount and at the prices charged would put a large dent in your wallet.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dobey-Meulenkamp has been an enthralling game. Meulenkamp has done superbly to get back into the game, last 3 sets have been of magnificent standard.