Practice

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last night me and the misses went to our local park to practice, yes practice golf. Well, her really. There is a pitch and putt course there, that with a bit of money spent on it could be brilliant. Anyhoo, we went for her to practice chipping. Her driving and second shots are now close to the greens and she will then take 4-5-6 to get down from 100 yards. So we went to practice a bump in with a PW and then that nightmare of a chip over a bunker and on to the green. The first lot (30 ish balls) of PW were all over the place, the second lot were all in a nice pattern of the green. Sorted. Well sort of. She has a tendancy to come round her body with the club instead of through for that little bump. Next the chip over. I'd have put my life of the first two going straight in. But no. The first three went in. So after a little chat and instruction. "Stop dipping down and turning the club over" Dead funny to watch. She kept at it and the last 5 were over. As I told her towards the end, this, I feel, is the hellish shot for high H/C's. 95% of this shot will go in to the bunker. I told her what I use to tell myself. Over the other side of the green is better than in the bunker. The last 5 were ok. Not much dipping. So, lesson done, we had a walk to my mums for a brew. Great hour spent!!!!! :thup: Looking forward to Monday afternoons round now!!!!!! Putting will need work. I'll be no help what so ever with this. :eek:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My missus expressed some interest in playing golf a while ago. I was shocked because usually she slates me for going on about golf all the time. I keep meaning to go and pick up my mum's old clubs just to test her will and find out if she was serious! She's not very co-ordinated but she is sometimes randomly good at things by luck (fluking balls in at pool, a stray dart falling in the treble 19, that sort of thing) so she might take to it, who knows!

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I am very happy for every woman that takes up golf. Seriously. I think the future of the game is definitely to bring more women in to play. Especially in Britain, where the ratio of male to female golfrs is a disgrace. So yay for both your wives here. That said, a word of caution: there is only one thing worse than a husband setting off to the golf course on his own every weekend. And that's a husband trying to teach his wife how to play golf. It goes down the classic StarWars route of "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate and hate leads to suffering". I totally recommend a "get into golf" class for her and a good deal of patience and the will to shut up for him.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Capella, I love your Star Wars quote :thup:.

My wife has played in the past. Very steady but doesn't get enough height on the ball. Particularly awful at little chips, she takes a huge swing, decelerates and then thins it. I have tried helping, short chips are something I am actually okay on, plenty of others I am not. However, it did not end well and my lesson was learnt. If she comes back to golf I will hopefully persuade her to get some lessons as there is a decent golfer in there. I would love it if she played and that was something we could do together.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Capella, I love your Star Wars quote :thup:.

My wife has played in the past. Very steady but doesn't get enough height on the ball. Particularly awful at little chips, she takes a huge swing, decelerates and then thins it. I have tried helping, short chips are something I am actually okay on, plenty of others I am not. However, it did not end well and my lesson was learnt. If she comes back to golf I will hopefully persuade her to get some lessons as there is a decent golfer in there. I would love it if she played and that was something we could do together.

We've done all that. She actually listens to me now and makes eye contact. She's been playing a while, say three times a year, but this year somethings clicked off the tee big time. Last round the ball was high in the air. I don't know how or why, as I've told her I cannot teach her anything else driver and iron wise, she's just got to figure it out herself and has. How ? Dunno, and neither does she. But she's getting a constant 160 - 180 off the tee, and a good clout with second shot. It is just round the greens, hence last night. She's dreadful at taking compliments. I keep saying "that's your best drive / iron shot ever" as they are!!! Each time it gets better and better...... this year. Will the golf Gods allow this to continue on Monday? She's never been so keen. I'm not complaining. It's more golf!!!! and on different courses. Hazel Grove / Davenport / Chorlton not sure yet on Monday afternoon. I'm watching the weather like a hawk.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My wife signed up to 'Get intoGolf' at our club this year and now has a small circle of ladies who traipse off to the practice ground and have some group lessons together. This Friday night is the second "Putting and Prosecco" event organised by the club for the 'get into golf' ladies. We've been to a few local 9 hole courses and hopefully she'll stay keen. I'd echo the 'zip it' suggestions as it is very easy to give too much advice and spoil the fun of it all. Main thing is to finish the round and want to play more. I really hope she come to love it as it would be a great thing to have in common and could form the basis of lots of travelling around together and playing in nice places.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
I had the luxury of spending 5 hours practicing at my club yesterday. Range for woods and irons, short game area for pitching, chipping and bunkers shots, then putting green, followed by 18 holes. Bliss.

Happens very rarely these days.

D

Deleted member 23344

I agree ... it's good to get your wife interested in golf if you can. The wife of one of my golf buddies also plays, with the result that, as well as playing together fairly regularly at home, they also play wherever they go in the world on holiday. Unfortunately, my wife isn't interested ... although, to be fair, she doesn't moan about me playing.

D

Deleted member 21258

My missus expressed some interest in playing golf a while ago. I was shocked because usually she slates me for going on about golf all the time. I keep meaning to go and pick up my mum's old clubs just to test her will and find out if she was serious! She's not very co-ordinated

Get her down that range and course.:thup:
My wife is not sporty at all, and it has not come natural for her at all, she is rubbish to be honest (I'm I allowed to say that about my wife :rofl:), its taken a lot of rounds and about 1.5-2 years, and she has just got her first cut to 35 after winning a medal. She still tops the ball, hits putts x feet off line, hits a driver about 120 yards and so on, even did an air shot in a comp recently as someone was watching her(oh how we laughed:eek:)

Some weeks she plays more than me.:smirk:

However all of that is irrelevant, it is something we do together now and I think it is great, really pleased she decided to start playing and we do it as a family (btw she took it up as she felt left out when me/Adam started playing regularly).

I never quite understand when we talk to people and both partners play, but they do not play regularly together, but each to their own and if it works then great.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Get her down that range and course.:thup:
My wife is not sporty at all, and it has not come natural for her at all, she is rubbish to be honest (I'm I allowed to say that about my wife :rofl:), its taken a lot of rounds and about 1.5-2 years, and she has just got her first cut to 35 after winning a medal. She still tops the ball, hits putts x feet off line, hits a driver about 120 yards and so on, even did an air shot in a comp recently as someone was watching her(oh how we laughed:eek:)

Some weeks she plays more than me.:smirk:

However all of that is irrelevant, it is something we do together now and I think it is great, really pleased she decided to start playing and we do it as a family (btw she took it up as she felt left out when me/Adam started playing regularly).

I never quite understand when we talk to people and both partners play, but they do not play regularly together, but each to their own and if it works then great.

All of this. Although not the "rubbish" bit anymore. :D Whenever we go "away" both sets of clubs come for a ride. I've got to play sooooooo many more different courses because of this. Currently looking at Bridlington area for October. Please don't rain, please don't rain.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
my wife initially showed interest in playing. She is quite sporty and played Netball for a county down in England and Scotland age group level.

she had lessons, but as should couldn't get the hang of it straight away gave up after a couple of games, but only after buying 6 pairs of golf shoes and matching outfits to go with.

Shame she had a lovely swing.