Cyclists really are in their own world

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is one of the official the trails in my woods we go down 90% of the time, the top section from 1 minute to about 1 min 40 is my favourite bit, really flowy and fast with a couple of jumps, the bottom section of the first bit is quite steep and techy specially the bit where you "slide" down to the fence :LOL:. Great fun.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always wear a helmet and am very careful on a bike BUT today on said quiet stretch I might dare to lift my hands off...briefly.
It’s a slippery slope .
Next you will be playing Bruce songs while riding your bike , guitar slung over your back with a rope.
It takes nerve .
Sit up and just start with one finger on top of each grip take one off at a time.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Fun track, I would like that, except the jumps, I am rubbish at jumps.

I am far from certain anyone sbould be riding like that during the present situation though.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s a slippery slope .
Next you will be playing Bruce songs while riding your bike , guitar slung over your back with a rope.
It takes nerve .
Sit up and just start with one finger on top of each grip take one off at a time.

Brilliant :ROFLMAO:

I can take them off briefly but probably too far over the bars still and only when freewheeling.

Heck I'm learning so many new things in this lockdown - an upside to it for sure. The biggest thing I've learnt is patience. David is amazed how patient I've been with the guitar and especially bike mechanics. I think it's the jigsaw puzzles.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wear a crash hat even when I'm testing a bike after servicing it. Riding into an unseen overhanging tree branch offroad hurts just as much as face planting the gutter 6 inches from the kerb stone.
In my opinion anyone who rides a bike is stupid beyond belief if they wont wear a crash hat anywhere. It should be a legal requirement.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wear a crash hat even when I'm testing a bike after servicing it. Riding into an unseen overhanging tree branch offroad hurts just as much as face planting the gutter 6 inches from the kerb stone.
In my opinion anyone who rides a bike is stupid beyond belief if they wont wear a crash hat anywhere. It should be a legal requirement.
Well, everyone’s entitled to an opinion ?
In all fairness, if I’m doing anything overly fast or technical then I’ll wear one. If it’s just a pootle down the canal path or some country lanes then I tend not to. My daughter rides a lot and always wears one, but she’s prettier than me ?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well, everyone’s entitled to an opinion ?
In all fairness, if I’m doing anything overly fast or technical then I’ll wear one. If it’s just a pootle down the canal path or some country lanes then I tend not to. My daughter rides a lot and always wears one, but she’s prettier than me ?
I totally get that, however a low speed fall to the side can result in nasty head banging on some hard surfaces on the side of your head, especially when your feet don't come out the clipless peddles when you stop.
Likewise, having had glancing blows to the head in my crash hat that resulted in neck pain just reinforces the crash hat requirement for me:)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As I've said previously I used to cycle everywhere.
Had a couple of mishaps but only 1 involved an overnight stay in Wycombe General courtesy of a pothole.
That was before helmets, nobody wore them.
Probably stopped much of the biking for 10 or so years after that helmets
Once started becoming the norm I felt I kind of had to follow and get one, especially as The Boy was starting to ride and we made sure he had his on.
Now, whether it was just me or whether it was badly fitting but the whole feeling of wearing one was totally uncomfortable
Hated wearing one, I felt so twitchy it was affecting my riding. I felt safer without one because I didnt have the discomfort
And that's one of the reasons I've stopped cycling...along with the fact that theres way too much traffic on the roads and way too many of them are idiots
But having to wear a lid was the start - and , yeah, they should be mandatory but it means I probably wont get back on a bike.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always wear a helmet and am very careful on a bike BUT today on said quiet stretch I might dare to lift my hands off...briefly.

Go for it Amanda. I'm sure you are far more sensible than the lady I saw a few weeks back. Suburban side road. Cars parked both sides but plenty of room for my car one way and her on a bike the other way. Except she was riding hands free, earphones in, looking at her phone possibly texting - and no helmet. I just had to stop while she weaved past me. :eek:

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a slight deviation from the thread, we have a chap who sometimes rides around town on a penny farthing. Usually in full tweeds with a deerstalker (if not too warm when he dispenses with the jacket and hat). Always brings a smile to our faces.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
My kids were never in to bikes, with the lockdown and out everyday for an hour they wanted to have a go again. So my 13 year old son is riding my mountain bike and 10 year old is riding his brothers old bike. They have been loving it. My brother-in-law is full on bike mad and has lent me one of his old road bikes, never ridden one before. Blimey narrow tyres, a seat to turn your balls to rock and no top brakes, it's frigtening as hell but boy does it move. Never known something so easy to ride, my heavy chunky mountain bike is terrible compared to it.

If the kids stick with it past lockdown this could be costing me a pretty penny. Likely go for hybrid bikes. Also got plenty of cycle paths round way I live so should be able to avoid roads

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My kids were never in to bikes, with the lockdown and out everyday for an hour they wanted to have a go again. So my 13 year old son is riding my mountain bike and 10 year old is riding his brothers old bike. They have been loving it. My brother-in-law is full on bike mad and has lent me one of his old road bikes, never ridden one before. Blimey narrow tyres, a seat to turn your balls to rock and no top brakes, it's frigtening as hell but boy does it move. Never known something so easy to ride, my heavy chunky mountain bike is terrible compared to it.

If the kids stick with it past lockdown this could be costing me a pretty penny. Likely go for hybrid bikes. Also got plenty of cycle paths round way I live so should be able to avoid roads
Nice gravel bike will do you.
Like a road bike but just a bit tougher.
Could be the making of cycling if the government invest enough.
Is there the will.?

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
As a slight deviation from the thread, we have a chap who sometimes rides around town on a penny farthing. Usually in full tweeds with a deerstalker (if not too warm when he dispenses with the jacket and hat). Always brings a smile to our faces.

Way back in the day there was a chap, in these parts, that could occasionally be seen out on a penny farthing...
Not quite sure what I admired about him the most... His level of bravery or foolhardiness :unsure:... Or, are they one in the same?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Way back in the day there was a chap, in these parts, that could occasionally be seen out on a penny farthing...
Not quite sure what I admired about him the most... His level of bravery or foolhardiness :unsure:... Or, are they one in the same?
Think the roads were better then.
Shocking now.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had a lovely cycle out today on a new route and wow the roads were shocking. Ok so they're back roads but bone shakers and it's like you can feel them sucking the life out of your legs.
I think it’s brilliant seeing all these cyclists out now.
But I honestly do think if it was safer with designated cycle lanes more people would have done this years ago.
I would not let my kids on the road.
So that means they ride on the pavement.
We seem incapable of sharing space in this country.
Cars v cyclists.
Cyclists v pedestrians .
We do nothing but complain about each other.
Quite sad.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it’s brilliant seeing all these cyclists out now.
But I honestly do think if it was safer with designated cycle lanes more people would have done this years ago.
I would not let my kids on the road.
So that means they ride on the pavement.
We seem incapable of sharing space in this country.
Cars v cyclists.
Cyclists v pedestrians .
We do nothing but complain about each other.
Quite sad.

Agree. We are very fortunate that we have good major road routes so the back roads are quiet and relatively traffic free. Otherwise I'd think twice about venturing out.