Cyclists really are in their own world

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If a bicycle is classed as a vehicle, which it is, and your on a highway that has laws for all vehicles, what do you think?
Don't know but you're welcome to tell me.. I have to say I regard some transgressions of the law rather more seriouly than others and a transgression that cannot without a serious stretch of the imagination do any harm to others and is unlikely to harm the offender is not one I personally am bothered about.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My cycling gear is all red or yellow, but my running gear is mostly black. However, I don’t run in the dark so I feel fine. I have white running shirts for hot weather and of course the green parkrun shirt.
My wife is part of a womens running group. The organiser arranges runs 5 days a week, my wife does 2 nights, obviously none of this is happening now. The woman in charge insists that each person wears brightly coloured top, ideally with some form of reflective strip on them. In winter they have to wear some form of led light, on their arm, head etc as well.

I suspect it is easier to buy brightly coloured running gear for women than men but the difference it makes is huge. Our estate is a circle 1m around and we get a lot of runners going around it so I see a lot in all lights. Even in good light or daylight bright colours catch your eye better.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nearly all my cycling gear is black. I don’t have a bell or reflectors. I can ride no handed for miles and sometimes, gasp, I don’t wear a helmet. :unsure:

Thanks to this forum i’ve realised the error of my ways. Those decades of accident free cycling have been a mistake. I will strive to do better and end the reign of terror I have clearly inflicted on my neighbourhood and fellow citizens in quietly gliding past.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Don't know but you're welcome to tell me.. I have to say I regard some transgressions of the law rather more seriouly than others and a transgression that cannot without a serious stretch of the imagination do any harm to others and is unlikely to harm the offender is not one I personally am bothered about.

So happy to break the law as & when it suits, like many cyclists I come across daily, pretty much how I pigeonholed you, no more needs to be said, you always knew the answer, you were just being an arse!

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
This thread is quickly becoming my favourite on the forum ?.

Who knew that cyclists were the real troublemakers and rule breakers? Devilish little rebels aren’t they ?

(from someone who doesn’t always wear a helmet when riding off-road, can ride hands free and has been known to fall off - not broken anything though)

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So happy to break the law as & when it suits, like many cyclists I come across daily, pretty much how I pigeonholed you, no more needs to be said, you always knew the answer, you were just being an arse!
You are mischaracterising what I said I did not say anything about breaking the law to suit the law breaker. I said it does not bother me if others break the law when it does no conceivable harm to others. (And in the case above is in solitude unobserved and the law unenforceable.)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i don't wear a helmet, but if i were on the road i would no questions, by some of the attitudes of drivers shown on here it would be silly not too.

on another note went up the hill the radio mast is on behind SNH yesterday which that is full of downhill MTB tracks, some very scary looking ones at that, some very steep sections which is all in forestry. at the moment the tracks are closed with signs up all over saying why, technical and dangerous...... it was pack with downhillers:(

Mandofred

Visit site
I haven't ridden a bike in just over 5 years. Wife banned me. Granted, I didn't fight it. My last few years of riding around the Harrogate area (about 2008-11) I had so many close calls it was making me pretty worried. Pretty well every ride someone would get dangerously close. About 2008 I switched from a regular upright bike to a highracer style because several body parts were no longer happy. Loved the recumbent and if I were going to ride again that's the way I would go and a highracer sits almost as high as a regular bike.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
i don't wear a helmet, but if i were on the road i would no questions, by some of the attitudes of drivers shown on here it would be silly not too.

on another note went up the hill the radio mast is on behind SNH yesterday which that is full of downhill MTB tracks, some very scary looking ones at that, some very steep sections which is all in forestry. at the moment the tracks are closed with signs up all over saying why, technical and dangerous...... it was pack with downhillers:(

The big mtb place around here is Hamsterley, it has been closed since the start of the lockdown with daily police and ranger patrols.
All that means is the riders have come to our woods, some days there's a dozen vans all lined up on the edge of a tiny road, quite obviously organised club rides. It sort of makes a mockery out of the lockdown really. On the positive, some new trails have appeared at the bottom end of the woods, one is a great little twisty section with some seriously tight berms (y)

D

Deleted Member 1156

I need to hang my head in shame, I've let my fellow cyclists down :(

I don't ride with no hands, I don't pop wheelies and I always wear a helmet, have lights on and wear clothing with reflective strips.

Sorry guys :cry:

D

Deleted Member 1156

I did see a 'first' the other night though. Thought it was a tiny lost puppy but turned back for a closer look. It was a baby fox, never seen one before.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The big mtb place around here is Hamsterley, it has been closed since the start of the lockdown with daily police and ranger patrols.
All that means is the riders have come to our woods, some days there's a dozen vans all lined up on the edge of a tiny road, quite obviously organised club rides. It sort of makes a mockery out of the lockdown really. On the positive, some new trails have appeared at the bottom end of the woods, one is a great little twisty section with some seriously tight berms (y)
this place is covered i trails, must have its own club that built them all as all the signs have a logo on, scary looking some must 45deg though thick forest very dark in places balls of steel to go down those, i find the forestry path you ride up to get to it scary enough:LOL:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I need to hang my head in shame, I've let my fellow cyclists down :(

I don't ride with no hands, I don't pop wheelies and I always wear a helmet, have lights on and wear clothing with reflective strips.

Sorry guys :cry:
To be fair mate, if I’m riding on the road I always wear a helmet. Too many “challenged” drivers in the roads not to. It’s only when I’m on the trails that I go lidless.

Anyway, if people want to stop cyclists attending hospital then they might want to try not running us off the road in their 2 tonne death machines ?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always wear a helmet and am very careful on a bike BUT today on said quiet stretch I might dare to lift my hands off...briefly.