Cyclists really are in their own world

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agree. We are very fortunate that we have good major road routes so the back roads are quiet and relatively traffic free. Otherwise I'd think twice about venturing out.
I just wonder what they will spend this money on.
We need cycle lanes that connect the big industrial estates / shops / parks etc.
All our cycle lanes are mainly recreational routes by mine.
But we need ones that get people to work.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I think it’s brilliant seeing all these cyclists out now.
But I honestly do think if it was safer with designated cycle lanes more people would have done this years ago.
I would not let my kids on the road.
So that means they ride on the pavement.
We seem incapable of sharing space in this country.
Cars v cyclists.
Cyclists v pedestrians .
We do nothing but complain about each other.
Quite sad.

hmm, we’ll agree to disagree me thinks, this is Westminster on Saturday afternoon ?
8F7D6809-62E3-49CA-A844-F7BCFD6B8E94.jpeg

2FB7352D-71AA-4F4B-875C-32AC54CB810B.jpeg

Whilst stationary, they’re packed into the cycle lane, but as soon as those lights change, they’re twice the width, if not more!

I was doing 20mph (Speed limit in most of central London) and 2 all decked out in their gear came racing (literall) past me, they then coasted up to the red lights, saw nothing was coming the other way, and went across, one did the same but from the right of me and I only just stopped with an emergency brake, he nearly took out a cyclist to my right who was again overtaking me head down when I was doing 20mph, I’ll have it on my dash cam so will load up later.

I appreciate not all cyclists are like this, but far too many are, they complain about cars & vans, but blatantly ignore the laws when it suits ?

Ok, build cycle lanes, but then make them all use them, they can’t pick & choose!

D

Deleted Member 1156

hmm, we’ll agree to disagree me thinks, this is Westminster on Saturday afternoon ?
View attachment 30540

View attachment 30539

Whilst stationary, they’re packed into the cycle lane, but as soon as those lights change, they’re twice the width, if not more!

I was doing 20mph (Speed limit in most of central London) and 2 all decked out in their gear came racing (literall) past me, they then coasted up to the red lights, saw nothing was coming the other way, and went across, one did the same but from the right of me and I only just stopped with an emergency brake, he nearly took out a cyclist to my right who was again overtaking me head down when I was doing 20mph, I’ll have it on my dash cam so will load up later.

I appreciate not all cyclists are like this, but far too many are, they complain about cars & vans, but blatantly ignore the laws when it suits ?

Ok, build cycle lanes, but then make them all use them, they can’t pick & choose!
Fair comment, as a cyclist I can't defend them and it winds me up too because we all end up tar'red(?) with the same brush.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Fair comment, as a cyclist I can't defend them and it winds me up too because we all end up tar'red(?) with the same brush.

and equally I won’t defend all car and especially van drivers, as I have as many run ins with them as cyclists!

I do an average of 350 - 400 miles a day, still, so I see a lot more than most, and unfortunately cyclists in London think they now own the streets, well that’s the attitude that comes across anyway, especially when everything is being built more to suit them, but we as commercial drivers still need to service the capital, and it’s getting harder and more frustrating every day, but Uber drivers are still top of the idiot bad drivers brigade, why anyone would risk their lives getting into one begs belief with what I see them doing daily!!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
View attachment 30540

View attachment 30539

Yes I do agree if a cycle lane is there you must use it.
A knob is a knob whether he’s riding a bike or driving a van / car ,bus or wagon I have seen them all.
The only thing is though any collision between this list the cyclist comes off worse every time.
That’s why I don’t understand why they do things like this????

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
As I've said previously I used to cycle everywhere.
Had a couple of mishaps but only 1 involved an overnight stay in Wycombe General courtesy of a pothole.
I had a stay in hospital courtesy of a taxi. No memory of it and if I hadn't have been wearing my helmet I wouldn't be here today.
But having to wear a lid was the start - and , yeah, they should be mandatory but it means I probably wont get back on a bike.
And that's why the government won't make them mandatory. They believe that the danger posed by obesity is gretaer than the one posed by cycling without a helment and so fear the compulsory helmet will prevent many people cycling. I personally don't agree to any of those arguents

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Anyone still on a bike since we golf resumed?
I've really enjoyed rediscovering an old skill(!) over the last few weeks. Having done a few evening rides and even the odd full afternoon in deepest East Herts, I got on the train the other day and did a mini tour of the western Peak District from Macclesfield on Thursday. An absolutely fantastic day out. Northerners are so lucky to have this on their doorstep. Looking to do a few more mini tours in the next few weeks. There's a 2011 thread by The Craw (who he??!!) about a jaunt around Bute and environs that I quite fancy....
Funnily enough, I think it's helped my golf. In my fevered imagination I've convinced myself that the extra 10 yards I've found on my drives is due to extra leg strength. Also, doing an exercise which is symmetrical is probably a nice counterbalance to all the asymmetric moves playing golf.
One last thing. Now I'm back on a road bike, I've found that cycling no-handed is easy again. Must be a centre of gravity or geometry thing.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've really enjoyed rediscovering an old skill(!) over the last few weeks. Having done a few evening rides and even the odd full afternoon in deepest East Herts, I got on the train the other day and did a mini tour of the western Peak District from Macclesfield on Thursday. An absolutely fantastic day out. Northerners are so lucky to have this on their doorstep. Looking to do a few more mini tours in the next few weeks. There's a 2011 thread by The Craw (who he??!!) about a jaunt around Bute and environs that I quite fancy....
Funnily enough, I think it's helped my golf. In my fevered imagination I've convinced myself that the extra 10 yards I've found on my drives is due to extra leg strength. Also, doing an exercise which is symmetrical is probably a nice counterbalance to all the asymmetric moves playing golf.
One last thing. Now I'm back on a road bike, I've found that cycling no-handed is easy again. Must be a centre of gravity or geometry thing.

I dusted my bike off today (litterally)

But only because my dad's got a flat .. tubeless tyre.. can't get it to fix and no replacement until mid August said he could borrow mine lol

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I dusted my bike off today (litterally)

But only because my dad's got a flat .. tubeless tyre.. can't get it to fix and no replacement until mid August said he could borrow mine lol
Tubeless tyres and clip in pedals are 2 things that I've not bothered to embrace in my second coming.
I'm the cycling equivalent of Crow...

D

Deleted member 16999

I am, less than lockdown, but still enjoying it.

D

Deleted member 17920

Yes I certainly am.

Managed a nice few rides on Fife last week.

With your job you must be able to get to some right places for free.

Try the highlands. Rannoch station to Pitlochry. Must be 45-50 miles but pure stunning.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes I certainly am.

Managed a nice few rides on Fife last week.

With your job you must be able to get to some right places for free.

Try the highlands. Rannoch station to Pitlochry. Must be 45-50 miles but pure stunning.
Yep. It's tough to put a price on the ability to jump on the wcml at a moment's notice. The best thing is just to be able to wait until the weather's good, rather than book ahead.
I've done a couple of trips to the western isles in the last few years, but my preferred time for visiting n/w Scotland is spring before the wee beasties get going. I might take a peek in autumn if the weather is decent.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
g.

I bought an exercise bike about 5 weeks ago once it was obvious I wasn't going back to the office for many months. Need to shift some timber...used to run 5 miles in my lunch break three times a weeks a few years ago but office moves meant that bit the dust and sat behind the wheel of a car for 30k miles per annum and riding a desk for 8 hours a day does nothing for a 50 year olds physique!!!

Long time since I've ridden a bike...wouldn't want to ride a bike on on the roads today...too many idiots (both behind the wheel and in lycra) about. Now working my way back to a bit of fitness without leaving the garage.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I bought an exercise bike about 5 weeks ago once it was obvious I wasn't going back to the office for many months. Need to shift some timber...used to run 5 miles in my lunch break three times a weeks a few years ago but office moves meant that bit the dust and sat behind the wheel of a car for 30k miles per annum and riding a desk for 8 hours a day does nothing for a 50 year olds physique!!!

Long time since I've ridden a bike...wouldn't want to ride a bike on on the roads today...too many idiots (both behind the wheel and in lycra) about. Now working my way back to a bit of fitness without leaving the garage.
Good effort. I don't think I'd be dedicated enough to do that. Fully understand what you're saying about the roads - I'm lucky to be able to get to some surprisingly quiet areas from my house.
I use a route planner called cycle.travel which helps identify less busy roads. It's really impressive.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes I still do about 120 miles a week
I am lucky have a great cycleway by mine .
Crosby/ formby beach about 15 miles away is good.
Goes right through Formby golf club, into the dunes.
Some nice rides up the canals , but it’s not the Scottish mountains would like to do that one day!
Just sorting a new gravel bike any RECOMMENDATIONS,
got about £1500.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Actually, I've always thought that golf would be an excellent thing to prescribe. There's lots of evidence of the health benefits.
Not that we need anyone else on the course at present, numbers are through the roof. Which is somewhat of a mixed blessing.