Cyclists really are in their own world

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Being more of a mountain biker, roadies have never been my favourite. Likewise car and van drivers that insist of driving past you deliberately as close as they can or as my brother had, a passenger lean out a car window and punch him on the ass putting him into the gutter.
I accept there are some 2 wheel idiots, both pedal powered and engine powered but we all have to share the road, none of us own it, and a life can too easily be lost by a stupid action we think nothing of at that moment.
For the record, my normal drive is a van, and car at the weekend.

As a roadie I find mountain bikers unfriendly. I cycle solo and any roadie I pass always nods and says hi. Mounties just blank me.. so rude. Must be coz we go faster I suppose. I don’t have many problems with cars, but I tend to stick to the lanes. Go through an urban bit and get cut up sometimes.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a former road cyclist, I used to love getting out on the bike for 50 - 60 miles or so. However, I stopped a few years ago as there were too many d1ckh34d drivers on the roads who were only too willing to break the law just to save a few seconds. They’re probably the same people who are making the most noise now about obeying the lockdown rules. Strange hypocrisy............ ?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
As a former road cyclist, I used to love getting out on the bike for 50 - 60 miles or so. However, I stopped a few years ago as there were too many d1ckh34d drivers on the roads who were only too willing to break the law just to save a few seconds. They’re probably the same people who are making the most noise now about obeying the lockdown rules. Strange hypocrisy............ ?

so how far can you cycle within an hour, which I believe is the maximum allotted time to exercise?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Likewise car and van drivers that insist of driving past you deliberately as close as they can or as my brother had, a passenger lean out a car window and punch him on the ass putting him into the gutter.
When I used to cycle I had the habit of going left through bust stops to get some cars a chance to fly past me without having to do an overtake due to oncoming traffic. One time I went left I had a car coming past me and teh rear passenger door was just shutting again, doing about 20 miles per hour on a little downhill.
If I would start cycling again I wouldn't do it without a 'dashcam' both ways.

We were out today and have never passed so many cyclists. Woman in the next village has been moaning about the additional walkers and cyclists ("you're killing the angels who protect us and a clap at 8pm every week won't absolve you!") but I hope people will find they enjoy the great outdoors as couples/families and keep that habit when this is all over.
I fear once Corona is over people will be '#staying at home', total opposite to now.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
so how far can you cycle within an hour, which I believe is the maximum allotted time to exercise?

Recommended, not maximum.

I am more concerned with the muppets dropping litter. These are people who never use the facilities on their own doorstep. But due to the circumstances are now going out, and carting their litter with them. I have done the same ish walk for two weeks now, and there are new coke cans, bottles, crisp packets, etc just discarded along the paths. It's disgraceful.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Where does it say that?

It’s been stated that for most a walk of up to an hour, or a run of 30 minutes, or a cycle ride between that, is appropriate.”

Government guidance says that, even when doing these activities, you should be minimising the time spent outside the home.

so based on the above, are cyclists taking the pish cycling for miles and hours, believing they can just because they’re on their own, which by the same token I could be in a car, are they manipulating the Recommendations to a selfish end?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It’s been stated that for most a walk of up to an hour, or a run of 30 minutes, or a cycle ride between that, is appropriate.”

Government guidance says that, even when doing these activities, you should be minimising the time spent outside the home.

so based on the above, are cyclists taking the pish cycling for miles and hours, believing they can just because they’re on their own, which by the same token I could be in a car, are they manipulating the Recommendations to a selfish end?

Robin, you just hate cyclists because you come across a few on your travels, and ghey delay you for a few seconds.

Just let it go?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

No. The time limit you’ve referenced was an arbitrary statement from (I think) Michael Gove. It carries absolutely no weight.

In answer to your question though. In an hour I’d expect to do about 20 miles round here (it’s quite hilly).

I’m not sure what the relevance is though. It doesn’t appear to relate to the discussion.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
No. The time limit you’ve referenced was an arbitrary statement from (I think) Michael Gove. It carries absolutely no weight.

In answer to your question though. In an hour I’d expect to do about 20 miles round here (it’s quite hilly).

I’m not sure what the relevance is though. It doesn’t appear to relate to the discussion.

I think it’s very relevant to the op, as in cyclists are in a world of their own, in as much as, they think, not all may I add, that once on their cycles that the recommendations and laws don’t apply to them!

can I go for a walk or run for 2- 3 hours, is it allowed that I can be outside of my house for that long when not working, if not, which I don’t think it is, but happy to be corrected, why is that cyclists seem to think that the same doesn’t apply to them?

just because the roads are massively quieter, they are, imo, taking advantage and thus doing themselves no favours to how they are perceived.

and Murph, no I’m not a fan of cyclists, my opinion of them is what i see and encounter everyday, with their holier than thou attitude even though I see so many break the law every day when it suits, even when they’re cammed up, it’s not about saving seconds, it’s trying to second guess them at times, especially in and around London, I place them side by side with Uber drivers, cycling down one way streets, dropping off pavements, the list is endless, so for me they’re an annoyance I could well do without.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it’s very relevant to the op, as in cyclists are in a world of their own, in as much as, they think, not all may I add, that once on their cycles that the recommendations and laws don’t apply to them!

can I go for a walk or run for 2- 3 hours, is it allowed that I can be outside of my house for that long when not working, if not, which I don’t think it is, but happy to be corrected, why is that cyclists seem to think that the same doesn’t apply to them?

just because the roads are massively quieter, they are, imo, taking advantage and thus doing themselves no favours to how they are perceived.

and Murph, no I’m not a fan of cyclists, my opinion of them is what i see and encounter everyday, with their holier than thou attitude even though I see so many break the law every day when it suits, even when they’re cammed up, it’s not about saving seconds, it’s trying to second guess them at times, especially in and around London, I place them side by side with Uber drivers, cycling down one way streets, dropping off pavements, the list is endless, so for me they’re an annoyance I could well do without.
I’ve been out of the house walking the dogs every day for the last few weeks. Average time would probably be 2 hours. Am I breaking a law? No.

I’m going for a run tomorrow (the kids are taking the dogs out). Will probably be about 90 minutes. Still no law breaking.

I know you have an issue with cyclists. We’ve joked about it in the past. But guess what. Some cyclists are arseholes. Some drivers are arseholes. Some golfers are arseholes. In short. Some people are arseholes. Take it up with the individual concerned, because at the moment, you’re cherry picking one demographic, and it appears that the only reason is that they occasionally slow you down.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve been out of the house walking the dogs every day for the last few weeks. Average time would probably be 2 hours. Am I breaking a law? No.

I’m going for a run tomorrow (the kids are taking the dogs out). Will probably be about 90 minutes. Still no law breaking.

I know you have an issue with cyclists. We’ve joked about it in the past. But guess what. Some cyclists are arseholes. Some drivers are arseholes. Some golfers are arseholes. In short. Some people are arseholes. Take it up with the individual concerned, because at the moment, you’re cherry picking one demographic, and it appears that the only reason is that they occasionally slow you down.
Lets be frank here, the world is an ass and some people are just passing through:)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cycling is a great form of exercise & fortunately, I've found, most motorists are pretty accomodating in sharing use of the roads. It really is the future for local travel though the infra-structure needs to continue to improve as does the attitude of some of the general public. A brief visit to Holland would demonstrate how use of the cycle should be promoted & encouraged...... UK is miles behind in this respect. :(:(
Last time I was in Amsterdam most of the fights I saw were tourists and cyclists .
Tourists have no idea where to look there’s bikes coming at you from everywhere.
People just step out in front of them it was chaos.
But outside the city it was fantastic ,every road has a cycle lane .
I love cycling but admit there are some idiots ride them.
But that goes for EVERY mode of transport.

Since the virus I have never seen so many people cycling on the pavement even though the roads are empty.
That’s a strange one.!

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I suppose the thought is if we were not in lock down how long would you go out and exercise for. I don't mean a stroll round the woods for a few hours or visiting a castle and walking the grounds. I mean actual exercise as a goal.

I normally do the gym 3 times a week and a round of golf once a week (if I didn't do golf I would likely replace it with a hours exercise) at the current time so 4 hours a week.

Since working from home and on lock down I have been doing 1 hour a day every day that's more than I normally do when things are normal. 5pm the wife, kids and I go out for an hour most times we would go to work and school, come home, have tea, do homework and watch tv now all of sudden it's full on exercise for hours on end (at Least 7 hours a week nearly double the normal).

Hence why we have lots of people apparently doing 2 hours of exercise a day every day, quite amazing, soon we could be the fittest country in the world if we all keep it once lock down ends, any bets on if everyone will.

D

Deleted member 23270

You're not a fan of cyclists because you think they flout the laws but 'white van man' never cuts up other drivers or parks up where he shouldn't does he? Go on white van man, tell me you drive like a Saint?