Are "Exclusive" golf clubs ruining the spirit of the game?

P

pingpal

How can you honestly justify a guy who kicks a ball about getting paid more in one month than a nurse gets in a LIFETIME.

Aye right. Its a dump and a building site and is not worth £40 for a day ticket. Lets boycott these private corporate americanised polyesther golf course.

Right on comrade Mad, come the revolution those premiership ponces and fleecing coprporate golf bloodsuckers will be first against the wall!!

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I just can not justify paying joining fees to clubs, I play at the local municipal for £13.00 a round and have the option for membership at £100 + £40 joining fee for that I get to play comps & a handicap. I might do it once I get my game into the 80s constantly rather than the odd 80 and usual 90s.

MacMachattie

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree with Furyk or Unique. There are 3,000+ golf courses in the UK and frankly, who cares if a handful are reserved for the super rich. I'm not fussed about playing Loch Lomond or Queenwood. There are an incredible number of courses to play where it's easy to get a game and for a reasonable price.

If someone is keen to make some cash and someone is keen to pay top dollar, I say go for it. I'll stick to my club (membership is only £300 a year) and I'll keep playing courses with low green fees and going to experience moree expensive courses by playing in Opens and the like.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
In answer to J_F's original question, in their own little worlds yes they are. And they are little worlds - most of their members will never know the joy of trudging through the wind and rain having beaten both course and weather, and into the bargain, done your mate for the drinks afterwards.
In mine, not a hope.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I still think these course should not be used by the tour, who are effectively the custodians of the game, along with the RandA. It is just not what golf should be about.