Cyclists really are in their own world

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Speaking as a professional driver, and someone who used to ride very seriously to a fairly decent club standard a few years ago (before it became trendy and before my knee packed up and left home) I can see both side to the arguement.
For me there are two types of cyclist. The serious roadie, not really a problem as they tend to keep out the way of traffic as much as possible as they're in training and don't want to die (there are exceptions to every rule)
And then there's the commuter, those who own the road and because they're on two wheels and are vulnerable seem to think they have every right to put themselves in harms way at every opportunity and then blame it on the motorist. A holes every one of them, particularly in London when everything is ramped up a bit. I actually had one ride up the left hand side of my coach one day as I was turning left into greenline station (indicator on nice and early,tight left turn, parked coaches on left, danger spot) and he actually blamed it on me for nearly killing him!

Anyway back to the lockdown. If I wanted to I could head out to the forest and ride round all day and not see another human being, social distancing to the nth degree. IS there a big problem there? The risk for me would be what happens if you fall off? At any speed you're going to need patching up by professionals at the very least, if not an ambulance ride to your nearest a+e. I think with all thats going on they've all got better things to be doing. So for me if you want to go for a pootle round the block do so, anymore than that buy a turbo trainer and do it in the safety of your front room.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The ones that I don't hear coming and scare the poo out of me as they whoosh past at 50mph going down our single track hill road are always quite polite.
I generally get a cheery thanks/hello or wave of the arm once they have passed.:unsure:

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
...Some cyclists are arseholes. Some drivers are arseholes. Some golfers are arseholes. In short. Some people are arseholes. Take it up with the individual concerned, because at the moment, you’re cherry picking one demographic, and it appears that the only reason is that they occasionally slow you down.

This exactly. People behave badly, no matter mode of transport or hobby. As a golfer I experience negative stereotypes, as a cyclist people actively nearly kill me and think its funny. Lots of people are arseholes, but most are pretty damned decent.

Meanwhile, this is what civilised society looks like at rush hour.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
This exactly. People behave badly, no matter mode of transport or hobby. As a golfer I experience negative stereotypes, as a cyclist people actively nearly kill me and think its funny. Lots of people are arseholes, but most are pretty damned decent.

I once witnessed a teenage girl intentionally run off the road by a young couple in a souped up Corsa. She can’t have been more than 14, cycling down my lane. They pulled alongside her, and then intentionally swerved left until she hit the curb and crashed onto the pavement. No major injuries, just scrapes and bruises. Police called and witness statement given.

From that, did I blame all motorists? No. Do I allow my daughter to ride her bike to school? No. There are far too many idiots on the road. Whatever their mode of transport is.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
If you want to see cyclist riding around with no thought of health, safety, road signs of consideration of other users try driving anywhere near Cambridge University just before 9am during term time. I've never seen anything like it! They were coming from all directions without any care or consideration in the world.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
as another former Road cyclist and have riddenand raced in France any Italy. The UK roads scare the shite out of me now and don't ride on the road any longer. kmown two guys killed on the road by idiots, around 100 cyclists get killed on UK roads each year, with around 4,000 seriously injured, i'm not sure many cyclists kill motorists, not many i would guess not many.
of course there are plenty of cycling twats on the road, but I think motorists forget how easy it is to kill a cyclist with the two ton of metal they are diving, so what would you rather, a death on your hands or be delayed for a few mins?

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
If you want to see cyclist riding around with no thought of health, safety, road signs of consideration of other users try driving anywhere near Cambridge University just before 9am during term time. I've never seen anything like it! They were coming from all directions without any care or consideration in the world.
Devils advocate.. so your saying that lots of people choose to use a healthy, cheap and environmentally friendly mode of transport and the infrastructure is inadequate? Awesome..we agree!

Be careful in that several tonne hunk of metal, you could easily kill one of these sensible people! :p

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Friend of mine got access to a cycling forum similar to this one - yes they have Brexit and Covid-19 threads just the same as us but nowhere near as funny or educated as we is..

Careful...there are studies out there that suggest regular cyclists are fitter, healthier, better educated and have better sex lives than 'average'. Perhaps the sight of a well toned, healthy and intelligent individual in Lycra who has a great sex life brings out the green eyed monster in some?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Devils advocate.. so your saying that lots of people choose to use a healthy, cheap and environmentally friendly mode of transport and the infrastructure is inadequate? Awesome..we agree!

Be careful in that several tonne hunk of metal, you could easily kill one of these sensible people! :p
Try Kensighton High Street during rush hour. Crowding of all vehicles, jumping red lights, abusing pedestrians. It happens every day, unless the police do a clamp down day that stops it then, and then it gradually comes back until the next clamp down day.
They are mainly commuters, who do other cyclists no favours what so ever.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Try Kensighton High Street during rush hour. Crowding of all vehicles, jumping red lights, abusing pedestrians. It happens every day, unless the police do a clamp down day that stops it then, and then it gradually comes back until the next clamp down day.
They are mainly commuters, who do other cyclists no favours what so ever.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
OMG! Not a helmet or Hi Viz vest in sight! Health and Safety in the UK would be having nightmares!!!
Agreed but they are in a 2mtr dedicated cycle lane ,something we don’t have much.
They even have their own traffic lights, you will find most obey them .
By now most major routes into city’s should have them ,but we don’t. Not here anyway.
Until government are serious about lanes nothing will change.
Never seen anyone holding a brolley cycling before though.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Cycling is a great form of exercise & fortunately, I've found, most motorists are pretty accomodating in sharing use of the roads. It really is the future for local travel though the infra-structure needs to continue to improve as does the attitude of some of the general public. A brief visit to Holland would demonstrate how use of the cycle should be promoted & encouraged...... UK is miles behind in this respect. :(:(

My limited experience of cyclists and cycling in the Low Countries is that many do it simply as a way of getting about short distances and for some gentle exercise. So it seems many simply tootle about on ‘sit up and beg’ bikes (and these being the sort you hire) - so not flash or trendy at all - and they will just wear normal clothes. There are of course the serious cyclists, but for simple exercise most seem to be pretty undemonstrative and non-showy about it. And of course they have sorted out how to separate cyclists from vehicles and pedestrians wherever it is practical.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Agreed but they are in a 2mtr dedicated cycle lane ,something we don’t have much.
By now most major routes into city’s should have them ,but we don’t. Not here anyway.
Until government are serious about lanes nothing will change.
I fully agree with your comments but unfortunately our city roads are quite narrow and there is a lack of space to incorporate cycle lanes :cry:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
In a way I'm finding it quite refreshing, walkers are now actively moving out of the way of my oncoming mountain bike rather than pretend they haven't seen me and barely moving :D
And I’m guessing that from time-to-time you’ll stop at the side of the track/path and wait for the pedestrians/walkers to pass? ? As you do you’ll know that you are in the rather large minority of cyclists ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ve been out of the house walking the dogs every day for the last few weeks. Average time would probably be 2 hours. Am I breaking a law? No.

I’m going for a run tomorrow (the kids are taking the dogs out). Will probably be about 90 minutes. Still no law breaking.

I know you have an issue with cyclists. We’ve joked about it in the past. But guess what. Some cyclists are arseholes. Some drivers are arseholes. Some golfers are arseholes. In short. Some people are arseholes. Take it up with the individual concerned, because at the moment, you’re cherry picking one demographic, and it appears that the only reason is that they occasionally slow you down.

Hmmm - apparently whilst out on my one hour walk I’m not allowed to unlock and pop into my church building for ten minute to check that all is secure and well and have a little meditate as I walk round. No law breaking but what didn’t I understand ??

I know better now having undergone corrective treatment ?

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Almost 100% sit up and beg bikes with no fancy gear...?