Cyclist and highway code

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
With London's blanket 20mph limit, speed wise they are on equal if not better footing than a car, bus or lorry.

And ignoring where the electricity has been produced, they are emitting zero emissions!!! And your problem is what exactly? They are getting somewhere faster than you are?

Genuine question, why do so (what's between a minority and a lot?) of people hate cyclists? is your journey that urgent you cannot slow down for 30 seconds, a minute, hell even 5 minutes to ensure that everyone who left for work/the shops/a ride in the country that morning, gets to go home to their families rather than A&E or the morgue?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's not exactly hard to "by pass" that though is it;)
With London's blanket 20mph limit, speed wise they are on equal if not better footing than a car, bus or lorry.

Depends what motor you have on your ebike , most need a device fitting which allows you to change the max speed but they are around £150 so not exactly cheap. Saying that though I do feel the speed limit for ebikes in the uk should be raised to match those in Europe which is 25 mph iirc.

Swango1980

Visit site
Fine with this if they are all insured and pay a road tax ?

Highway Code changes giving cyclists priority over motorists could create "confusion and dangerous situations" as just a third of motorists are aware of it, the AA has warned.
The overhaul, which is coming into force on January 29 subject to parliamentary approval, signifies that motorists will have to give way to cyclists and pedestrians at junctions.
It will produce a new hierarchy of responsibility based on the vulnerability of road-users, with motorists claiming greater responsibility for reducing the danger posed to pedestrians and cyclists.
Cyclists will also have to take action to reduce the danger posed to pedestrians.
Under the old code, pedestrians only had right of way at a junction if they were already on the road.
But under the reconditioned code, drivers and cyclists will have to give way if a pedestrian is waiting to cross a road they are turning into.
Cars indicating to turn left or right will also have to cave in to cyclists coming from behind and going straight on, only turning once they have passed.
I might be missing something, but I don't see anything controversial here.

If I am driving a car, and I see a pedestrian on the road, then I will slow down / stop and let them get out of the way. I certainly keep on going, run them over and then claim I had right of way. Same if I see a cyclist. If I need to turn left, and there is a cyclist ahead of me, if I cannot overtake them and then have the time to safely turn left, I will stay behind them and turn left after they have passed my exit. If I was already ahead of the cyclist, then I'm usually going to have been travelling faster along that road than any cyclist, so wouldn't expect a cyclist to suddenly randomly appear to my left. This could be true at a junction, after starting off during a green light. However, if a cyclist is crazy enough to charge up the inside of traffic, and that cyclist is going ahead, I'm unsure how easily a driver could be prosecuted for turning left into that cyclist (in the same way if a pedestrian suddenly jumped out in front of a car).

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I do feel that this may promote a "crash for cash" epidemic amongst those who are looking to get easy money from insurance claims.
I fully understand the benefits of cycling and have no issues with cyclists PROVIDING THEY FOLLOW THE HIGHWAY CODE! Now I know lots of car drivers don't know it either but, as an example, I've seen a lot more cyclists go through red traffic lights than car drivers. And I've driven around the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge just before 9am and the vast majority of student cyclists there (and there are a lot) pay no attention to the rules of the road. As a car driver (and I have to drive there for business purposes), I have to be extra aware because I am having to be extra careful as the cyclists just ride either side of me, pull out of side roads in front of me, etc. with no thought of me having to react and stop.
I have a car dashcam and have seen lots of stupid car driving, but equally I have seen lots of stupid, almost suicidal, cycling. People have to take responsibility for themselves and make sure that, when on the road, they drive/ride with care and consideration for other road users and follow the Highway Code as it applies to them.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I might be missing something, but I don't see anything controversial here.

If I am driving a car, and I see a pedestrian on the road, then I will slow down / stop and let them get out of the way. I certainly keep on going, run them over and then claim I had right of way. Same if I see a cyclist. If I need to turn left, and there is a cyclist ahead of me, if I cannot overtake them and then have the time to safely turn left, I will stay behind them and turn left after they have passed my exit. If I was already ahead of the cyclist, then I'm usually going to have been travelling faster along that road than any cyclist, so wouldn't expect a cyclist to suddenly randomly appear to my left. This could be true at a junction, after starting off during a green light. However, if a cyclist is crazy enough to charge up the inside of traffic, and that cyclist is going ahead, I'm unsure how easily a driver could be prosecuted for turning left into that cyclist (in the same way if a pedestrian suddenly jumped out in front of a car).
To many car drivers don’t indicate when sitting at the lights.
They wait until the lights go green to indicate but you could be level with them by then.
I have seen lots of times a motorist’s has turned left on to a cyclist.
I would never undertake anything as I value my health.
I drive and cycle and there are lunatics in both camps.
We just need to share the roads .

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
And ignoring where the electricity has been produced, they are emitting zero emissions!!! And your problem is what exactly? They are getting somewhere faster than you are?

I can only take it these things have not made it anywhere near you yet? They are an absolute nightmare. They are invariably driven by the local 'yoof', dressed head to toe in black, unlit, carving between traffic with no regard for the risks involved to themselves or others. They have no presence, unlike a motorcycle and are nigh on impossible to see. When they aren't on the road they are tearing down pavements at speeds inappropriate, usually in shopping areas to the risk of pedestrians. If they catch an elderly person the likely outcome is a broken hip from the fall, or worse. hey do not appear to be speed restricted, unlike the hire scheme ones. They need banning because they are bloody dangerous; it's got nothing to do with anyone getting somewhere faster than me.

Genuine question, why do so (what's between a minority and a lot?) of people hate cyclists? is your journey that urgent you cannot slow down for 30 seconds, a minute, hell even 5 minutes to ensure that everyone who left for work/the shops/a ride in the country that morning, gets to go home to their families rather than A&E or the morgue?

I don't have an issue with according the appropriate courtesy to other road users, regardless of their mode of travel, who treat me with similar courtesy and abide by the Highway Code. The issue round this way is with the attitude of cyclists who expect every courtesy extended to them because they are vulnerable road users and then who jump red lights, ride without lights or charge down the pavement when it suits them.

Brads

Visit site
Yawn yawn
Car driver thinks cyclists should pay road tax yadah yadah yadah.
Just don’t hit a cyclist and you’ll be fine.
This attitude of it being their own fault wouldn’t really cut it if you killed one.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having had a car damaged by a cyclist and having to foot the bill, there needs to be some insurance system in place that covers such events.

He basically tried to squeeze up the inside at traffic lights and his pedal caught my door and wing taking it down to the metal.

greenone

Visit site
It's not exactly hard to "by pass" that though is it;)
20mph is easy on most bikes for anybody who is releatively fit on a normal bike until you reach a hill. Speed limits don't apply to bikes unless your in a royal park as they aren't mechanically powered.

I was stopped by the police once for 'speeding' when I was about 15.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
20mph is easy on most bikes for anybody who is releatively fit on a normal bike until you reach a hill. Speed limits don't apply to bikes unless your in a royal park as they aren't mechanically powered.

Speed limits apply to everyone on the road, as I found out years back when out on a training ride with my mountain bike club.
I was just lucky the Gendarme didn't catch me and a few others just out Wissant years back. I've never topped that 48mph from that day (knobbly tyres and mountain bike...)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I always thought you could be done for speeding while cycling. ( school day)
Especially in these 20mph zones it’s very easy to break that on a good bike.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As a young'un I got stopped for doing 38 mph on my bike in a 30 zone......
Apologised profusely and couldn't believe I was going so fast..down the steepest hill in Wycombe :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Got let off with a good talking to.

greenone

Visit site
Speed limits apply to everyone on the road, as I found out years back when out on a training ride with my mountain bike club.
I was just lucky the Gendarme didn't catch me and a few others just out Wissant years back. I've never topped that 48mph from that day (knobbly tyres and mountain bike...)
They don't, speed limits only apply to mechanically propelled vehicles unless your in a royal park which have a specific byelaw to include bikes in the speed limits.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The issue round this way is with the attitude of cyclists who expect every courtesy extended to them because they are vulnerable road users and then who jump red lights, ride without lights or charge down the pavement when it suits them.
Millions of people cycle. Very few of them behave like this. Every single one of them is vulnerable to a moment's carelessness or red mist by those of us driving a motor vehicle.
Let's take a breath and consider a proportional response.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The issue round this way is with the attitude of cyclists who expect every courtesy extended to them because they are vulnerable road users and then who jump red lights, ride without lights or charge down the pavement when it suits them.

Millions of people cycle. Very few of them behave like this. Every single one of them is vulnerable to a moment's carelessness or red mist by those of us driving a motor vehicle.
Let's take a breath and consider a proportional response.

Talking of proportional responses, how about quoting all of the relevant paragraphs?

I don't have an issue with according the appropriate courtesy to other road users, regardless of their mode of travel, who treat me with similar courtesy and abide by the Highway Code. The issue round this way is with the attitude of cyclists who expect every courtesy extended to them because they are vulnerable road users and then who jump red lights, ride without lights or charge down the pavement when it suits them.

Quite a lot more than a few cyclists behave like that down this way; maybe they'd be a bit less vulnerable if they exercised the same caution they expect of everyone else? I'm not advocating treating them anything other than safely, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about doing it when they have such scant regard for their own safety.